Frame Geometry "Comparator"

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Has anyone come up with a more straight forward application or excel sheet for comparing two frames? I realize their is the comparator excel sheet but I find it's a bit needlessly complicated and becomes difficult to decipher. Probably doesn't help im not too mathematically inclined these days.

Would be an awfully helpful\cool tool to have something a bit more simplified and visual.

I was looking to compare the Felt FC against the Specialized Tarmac in size 54 and my head gets a bit lost when starting to look at stack and reach, drop, top tube and seat tube angles.
Just ride ..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dogg

by dogg

it would be dead simple to make your own spreadsheet...

audiojan

by audiojan

Easy to make a spreadsheet and compare geometry data as published, but for it to have any kind of practical use, you need to understand how those measurements were taken. Seat tube length, center-to-center, center-to-top, center-to-virtual point, virtual point-to-virtual point… same thing goes for top tube, but then you also need to take angle of seat tube and head tube in account. Head tube length, bearing-to-bearing, fork crown-to-top of top cap, etc….

In other words, just a lot of variables.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

itsacarr

by itsacarr

All good points - thanks
Just ride ..

fa63

by fa63

Bikecad.ca

It is free, and works great. I use it frequently (and donate the developer some money from time to time because I find it a great tool).
Last edited by fa63 on Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Alright that's pretty cool - ill give it a go - thanks!
Just ride ..

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

With really really basic AutoCAD skills, you should be able to draw both frames and compare the differences.

I did that before, to decide if 54 or 56cm frame would be better for me.
I believe you can do the same.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BikeCAD

by BikeCAD

fa63 wrote:Bikecad.ca

It is free, and works great. I use it frequently (and donate the developer some money from time to time because I find it a great tool).

Thanks for the kind words and the donation. Many find the free version of BikeCAD a useful tool for comparing frame geometry. There is actually a special tool built into BikeCAD Pro that is specifically meant for this. It's called Multi-model PDF export. It's described at: bikecad.ca/multi-model_pdf