Comparing Assaults & Rail52's

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

makoti

by makoti

I’m getting a new frame & decided to get new wheels to go with it. I think I’ve narrowed it down to two.
1) Reynolds Assault SLG
2) November Rail52 (or the newer 34’s. Ok, three. :rolleyes:)
I’ll have a couple of more “everyday” wheels, so these will not get daily wear, if that matters

Does anyone have any direct experience with these wheels? Can anyone compare them for me? Braking of each in wet?
Cost is close, depending on how fast I move.
Can get the Reynolds now, four weeks for the Rails. I have an event (Assault on Mt Mitchell) coming up that I’d love to have these for, so I need to order now if I do the Rails.
Weights appear to be pretty close.
I’m 5’10”/155lb. Don’t race, but like to push my rides.

If you know the Rails…what hub do they have? Experience with the house/Novotech hubs? I am thinking of upgrading to the Whites, but that adds almost $200. Worth it? Or are the house hubs pretty nice?
And if you are on the side of the Rails, the older 52’s? Or the new 34’s? I’m thinking that losing the aero advantage of the 52’s might not be worth the weight savings (Uh oh :wink: ) & (to me) better look of the lower profile 34’s. Agree? No? I mostly ride rolling, short steep hill stuff, but would go the Blue Ridge on these often.

Lastly, just to muddy the waters….both these are clincher. I would do tubulars (did years ago. They don’t scare me. Well, no real desire to go back, but I would). Any wheels in tubular you would toss in the mix? Gotta be about the same price (<$1800). If either of these came in T’s (Assaults DO, but I can’t find them), I’d likely go that route. Would love to save the weight.

I’ve spoken with & emailed both companies & have been impressed with who I talked to a Reynolds, but blown away by the emails I’ve gotten back from Novemeber. Fast, detailed, personal, and helpful. So I am comfortable with the CS aspect of each company.

Thanks. Gotta get on this pretty quick.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dj97223

by dj97223

November seems like a good company, and I was happy with my Reynolds 46T (circa 2006 with WI hubs).

However, if you are considering tubular, look at the Campag Bora One 35. They can be had for ~$1,500 from Ribble and others in the UK. Campagnolo quality. Stiff, spin up fast, smooth Campag hubs, excellent brake track, 1260g. Oh, they also have external nipples for easier truing if needed.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

aaric

by aaric

Can't give you a comparison, but I've been happy with my Rail 52s. They've held up true and straight through multiple incidences with potholes and pinch flats. Still true as the day I got them. Plenty stiff for my use - much more responsive than the dura ace c24s they replaced. They do get a bit blown around in large gusts of wind, but aren't too bad. Hubs are decent, but a bit loud for my tastes. I've been planning on opening them up and greasing the pawls to quiet them down.

I've been debating a set of 34s, or a pacenti SL23 build for my other bike. I also debate doing a custom rail 34 build with some tune hubs....should result in a 1350-1375g aero wheelset for sub $2k...November does sell the rims for $500ea fwiw.

makoti

by makoti

Thanks for the feedback.
Oddly enough, I am also thinking about a Pancenti build as my more "every day" set. Knew I liked it around here for a reason. ;-)
Looked at those Bora's, as well. $1620 shipped from blingbikekit.com. Wish I'd heard of them before...

makoti

by makoti

Thanks for the feedback.
Oddly enough, I am also thinking about a Pancenti build as my more "every day" set. Knew I liked it around here for a reason. ;-)
Looked at those Bora's, as well. $1620 shipped from blingbikekit.com. Wish I'd heard of them before...