The 'hub help' thread

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kavitator

by kavitator

Has anyone data for rear ULTEGRA 6800 hub (11 speed)?

PCD
Center to left and right flange

is same as 105 5700 or something different?

thanks

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

RF to centre 18mm I think and left
LF to centre 37mm
LF PCD 44mm
RF PCD 45mm.

The flange PCD's are the most important to spoke lengths as you know.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kavitator

by kavitator

Thanks a lot!

yes PCD has the biggest effect on spoke length

benhama

by benhama

I am looking at purchasing a Zipp 202 Firecrest Clincher wheelset, but up until now I have been nervous about hitting the “buy” button because of the issues I’ve read about the 188 hubs. Has anyone had any real time experience with the new 188/V9 hub as yet that they could share?

My alternative is to get a set of Zipp 202 rims built up with an alternative hub. I note that Wheelbuilder.com offers a choice of DT Swiss 240 and Chris King R45 hub alternatives. These alternatives would push the overall price up as I can get the standard Zipps at a great price at the moment, but perhaps I would not have peace of mind about the Zipp hub? Has anybody got any thoughts about how the alternative hubs would affect the wheel in terms of stiffness, comfort etc?

SpeedFreak

by SpeedFreak

i just bought a set of the 101s for a ridiculously amazing price.
the guy i bought them from said he bought them new in 2013
i thought to myself "great, its got the updated 2013 rear hub"
but then i found a sticker inside the rim that reads: 2011/11/23
which leads me to believe that at least the rear rim was made November 23, 2011
which leads me to wonder which version of the 188 rear hub is on these wheels.

are there any visual identifiers on the hub that distinguishes between the 188-V7 and the 188-V8
i looked at this page:
http://www.zipp.com/support/identify/hub_cassette.php
and there is no "shimano" or serial number on the hub body, but i bought the campagnolo conversion hub body:
http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/ ... speed-blue

if this is the pre-2013 model hub, then i wonder if i shouldn't just send it to a local wheel builder and have it re-laced to a different (better) rear hub
I'd rather not have to do this, but if so, what would be a recommended replacement hub?

UPDATE: i just found the 10-speed ring spacer in the packet that came with the wheel set. and its silver. does that mean i have the pre-2013 model rear hub?

rmerka

by rmerka

Does the free hub say 11 speed written across it in white letters? If so then you've got a V8 hub if not then you've likely got a V7 from a set of 2012 model year wheels. If you don't need an 11 speed cassette then just ride the wheels. They'll be great.

SpeedFreak

by SpeedFreak

rmerka wrote:Does the free hub say 11 speed written across it in white letters? If so then you've got a V8 hub if not then you've likely got a V7 from a set of 2012 model year wheels. If you don't need an 11 speed cassette then just ride the wheels. They'll be great.

thanks
no lettering anywhere on the free hub
which ever the case, i need to switch out the shimano/sram free hub for a campy
i'm just a little concerned about all the failure issues i've been reading about with the 2012 model

Tricky1

by Tricky1

I was in the same position with my Zipps. I had no "failures", but consider the hub too problematic. The design is simple enough regarding the preload on the bearings, but they always made noise in one form or another and required too much attention in search of that sweet spot for the bearings.
I had it rebuilt last week with a White Ind. hub and live happily now. I guess it was a bit of an expense ( and one that shouldn't exist), but no component should cause that much angst!

rmerka

by rmerka

I'm not aware of failures, and by failures I mean cracking, in the 2012 hub. A few years prior there were some widely publicized failures but not of late that I've seen. That being said I did not like the play in the rear hub of my 2013 202 clincher. It couldn't be taken out even with too much preload. I think the bearing seats were a little off but I don't know for sure. I put some DT 240s in them. I have a set of 2011 404 clinchers with silver zipp hubs and have never had a problem with them. They've been rock solid.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I've got 101's, 303 FCC's and 404 tubbies all with the 188 v7 converted to v8's for 11 speed. No issues whatsoever. They require a careful set of the preload as others have said, and they seem to be holding fine. A couple in our group who are more "Clydesdale" have cracked their 101's at a few spoke holes. Zipp replaced them with zipp 30's since 101's are no longer made. I have not had the negative experience with the hubs that others have had.

SpeedFreak

by SpeedFreak

i'm wondering about the zipp 101 (530 grams) rim and how it compares to something like the pacenti sl23/velocity A23/kinlin xr270 (450 grams)
will the claimed aerodynamic qualities of the zipp 101 trump the 80-gram weight discrepancy?
or is all of this a "princess-and-the-pea" scenario

drmutley

by drmutley

For your peace of mind, just dump the 188 hub and lace in WI/Alchemy/CK or the like hub. If budget is an issue go with a DT240... It'll save u wheel, frame and body damage down the track,..

This is what happened to my Zipp 303 & Zipp 404s with the 188 hubs:

viewtopic.php?t=103267

tharmor

by tharmor

My goal is to build my own set of wheels sometime before I die, preferably this summer. As I was "researching" the different options for hubsets in the market, I stumbled across Easton's new Echo hubset claiming a 95mm bearing spacing (widest on the market), and it got me thinking about the advantages/disadvantages etc.

My question is simple - Which other hubsets on the market have these wider than usual bearing spacing? (In addition to DuraAce @90mm, I couldn't find any others)

It might be worth mentioning that Easton, at least for now, won't be selling their Echo hubs separately.

Thanks in advance.

Tharmor.

eric

by eric

DA (not sure if all of them) and Alchemy ORC UL are the only ones I know of.

reeper250

by reeper250

G'day all,

I'm planning on building a new wheelset using some 50mm carbon rims I have in the garage.
Chosen the CN Aero424 spokes (which I also used on my previous wheel-build).
Now I am stuck on choice for hubs.

The two choices I am currently looking at are:
Circus Monkey HRW2 White = 268 grams = $149 AUD ( http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/370546545101 ... 1438.l2649 )

Novatec F482SB-SL/A291SB-SL Black = 290 grams = $168 AUD ( http://www.bdopcycling.com/Hubs-F482SB-SL.asp ) + ( http://www.bdopcycling.com/Hubs-A291SB-SL.asp )

Aesthetically I prefer the Circus Monkey hubs as they are white and really want to build with white hubs for a white/black theme.

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com