Help choose a budget wheelset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

efeballi

by efeballi

What kind of roads are you riding? If the roads are good, RS10s will serve you good enough. If not, you may break spokes.
Also they may flex if you're a strong guy.
The bearings are loose ball type, I service them every 6 months and they roll quite well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SHUT UP LEGS
2015 Giant Propel Advanced
2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo
2013 KTM Strada mod. (totaled)
2011 Pinarello Dogma 60.1(loaner)
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

Politecnico di Milano Ingegneria Meccanica

shlammed

by shlammed

efeballi wrote:What kind of roads are you riding? If the roads are good, RS10s will serve you good enough. If not, you may break spokes.
Also they may flex if you're a strong guy.
The bearings are loose ball type, I service them every 6 months and they roll quite well.

Living in Canada its not uncommon for the roads to have sections that are completely crap. The freeze-thaw cycles in Ontario really pound the asphalt.

Im a moderately strong guy with disproportionate legs from riding bikes until College (im 26 now). So Im sure once I start racking up the miles I will be able to put some good power down though I have no idea what kind of power that really is.
Last edited by shlammed on Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Matako

by Matako

Mavic CXP-22 - One of the toughest wheels out there

shlammed

by shlammed

Thanks for the suggestion. They seem nice and durable and there is lots of offerings with shimano hubs to be able to build them

though they appear quite heavy in pre-build config.

bombertodd

by bombertodd

shlammed wrote:I was considering that setup actually Bomber but with the SLF81w front hub and laser spokes (though the spokes might be too light).

I have been talking to Brandon on the help line a few times and I was set on that, but it would be nicer to keep the price down even though the DIY route with that kit is still reasonable for the wheelset that it produces.

Lasers would be great spokes too. I recommended the race spokes since they are thicker (heavier) and resist windup making them easier to build, especially for first timers.

Keep talking to Brandon. He's a great guy and has great advice. I have some BHS wheels (SLF85W front, SL210 rear, laced to Pacenti SL23 rims) on my bike now. They are much stiffer and solid feeling that some other cheap wheel sets I've owned (Mavic Aksiums, Fulcrum Racing 5, and Shimano RS10).

shlammed

by shlammed

bombertodd wrote:
Lasers would be great spokes too. I recommended the race spokes since they are thicker (heavier) and resist windup making them easier to build, especially for first timers.

Could you not put a small piece of painters tape on the spokes near the nipples to give an aero profile to show twist?

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

@shlammed- You could put a small piece of painters tape on the spokes to monitor windup. I did that when I first started building on double butted spokes.

shlammed

by shlammed

Thanks Zen.
Would the Laser spokes be too light in a 24/28 combo with my weight under 200lbs? (full buildout detailed below)

I will likely go the route of custom build unless I can find some wheels that I feel comfortable with at a discount.

SuperLight 85 Wide Front Road Hub - 24 Holes
SL210 SuperLight Rear Hub - 28 Holes

BHS C472w Clincher Rim 24 Holes- 23mm wide - 28mm deep
BHS C472w Clincher Rim 28 Holes- 23mm wide - 28mm deep

Sapim laser
Sapim 14mm Aluminum Alloy Poly-Ax Nipples -14G

Spoke lacing I would do 2x front and 3x rear-weight isn't a huge concern being that the length of the spokes isn't going to make a substantial change in weight.

Total wheelset weight as described above (1497grams). Like I said earlier im not racing, so wheel weight isn't a huge concern but I would like to keep it as light as I can within a budget and without making a wheel that's going to need a lot of maintenance.

If going to Sapim Race spokes is a big difference in reliability the ~70G weight hit is worth it to me. But I haven't read anything that says its unreliable-just more difficult to build since you need to monitor windup.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

@shlammed- A 24/28 will be just fine for your weight. The C472w (or Kinlin XC279) is a pretty stout rim so you should have no issues with that spoke count. For the lacing you will be fine with radial, 1x, or 2x front. The rear however will be best laced 2x or 3x or a combination of the two.

shlammed

by shlammed

Thanks @Zen.

Now I believe I understand the theoretical lacing patterns and advantages, but im not really sure that I have it enough to be able to lace the 2 cross up for the front.
I wish some of the spoke length calculators out there would show the lacing pattern with the length.

the radial makes sense because theres only one real way to do it and im sure its the same with 1x, 2x and 3x but im not sure what is conventional lacing for them to coincide with the spoke length.

bombertodd

by bombertodd

1x and 2x in the front is easy to do.

This tool will show you lacing patterns. Just click the little wheel picture in the software and a new screen will pop up.
http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/b ... lator.html

shlammed

by shlammed

Thanks bombertodd. trying that program now.

Edit: it works amazingly. Thanks for that.

efeballi

by efeballi

I guess I jinxed it... Rear rim developed a hairline crack near a spoke. RIP rear wheel.

SHUT UP LEGS
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

shlammed

by shlammed

efeballi wrote:I guess I jinxed it... Rear rim developed a hairline crack near a spoke. RIP rear wheel.

Sorry to hear.
I guess I will be looking another route.

Im going to try the local classifieds for something cheap to get me rolling I think. Then once I sell another bike I can look at upgrading.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

efeballi

by efeballi

IMHO one season and 13145 km in Istanbul's crappy roads is quite good. I would still highly recommend the RS10.

Also you now have a source to find rear spokes.

SHUT UP LEGS
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)