Most Durable Clincher Brake Track

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Does anyone have any opinion about which of the current crop of wider (21 mm plus) alloy clincher rims has the most robust brake track? I guess there are three main components: thickness, durability of alloy, and height of the braking surface. I know height of the surface is not directly connected to longevity but I do like having more area with which to work. Application will be on a bad weather bike hence my query.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I am currently running a build w/ Kinlin XC279s and they have worn well thus far through rain, mud, etc and look none the worse for wear. I have also had Archetypes in the past and although I didn't have them long enough to give a proper opinion, the certainty felt robust.

Stefano

by Stefano

You could also consider hard ano coatings like on ambrosio or hplus son tb14- In my experience they take a while to wear through, should extend longevity by protecting the aluminum below it for awhile

Jere

by Jere

Mr.Gib wrote:Does anyone have any opinion about which of the current crop of wider (21 mm plus) alloy clincher rims has the most robust brake track? I guess there are three main components: thickness, durability of alloy, and height of the braking surface. I know height of the surface is not directly connected to longevity but I do like having more area with which to work. Application will be on a bad weather bike hence my query.

Hi
The brake pad material you use can effect the wear
I found the kool stop orange / red do not pick up as much Alum or dirt in the braking surface.
But they do get spongy after a few high speed slow downs on Mountain passes.
JB

HillRPete

by HillRPete

If you are very concerned about wear on the brake tracks, you might as well use something like the Ambrosio Keba. Good dimensions -- 24mm wide -- and plenty durable, as a trekking rim. Of course there is a bit of a weight penalty over the more flimsy road hoops.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I think the archetype is the most robust of the current wide road "race" rims. Kinlins are always a bit softer but soft brake pads help alot.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

The Archetype or XC279 are going to have the stoutest brake tracks. With that said I'd still take the SL23 any day over those rims for the finish and strength to weight ratio.