ZIPP 30 or Fulcrum Racing 3, help me, please

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

martinko

by martinko

Hello all,

I want to upgrade my 2012 CAAD10 so I have hard times deciding what to change. I plan to change groupset for SRAM Force 22 or Ultegra 6800. Both are 11sp so I have to change training wheelset as well. Or I will stick with 10sp and get deep wheels finally (that was my original plan, to finally get deep wheels). Unfortunately, new 11sp groupsets are cheaper than older 10sp versions (Ultegra, Force). :noidea:

I have found two wheelsets as a nice upgrade to my training ones, however I struggle to decide between them. They are ZIPP 30 and Fulcrum Racing 3. I've tried to search comparisons between these 2 but with no luck. ZIPP 30 are normally priced higher than Fulcrum Racing 3, so everyone compares them to higher Fulcrums (1 or Zero). But, I have a chance to buy both for very similar price:
ZIPP 30 for 399€
Fulcrum Racing 3 for 380€

My basic training wheels are Fulcrum Racing 7. They are bulletproof, can't say a bad word on them, I really like Fulcrums and don't need to go to Mavic or Shimano, but I also like ZIPP brand. So...

Weight
If the manufacturer's weighings are correct, the ZIPPs are 100g heavier - approx. 1550g for Fulcrums vs 1655g for ZIPPs.

Rim
I found that ZIPP 30 does not come with wide rim like ZIPP 101 did (stopped production), so there is no difference in rim width.
ZIPP 30 are 30mm deep, Fulcrum Racing 3 are 26mm at front and 30mm at rear.

Smoothness, reactivity, aerodynamics...
I struggle here. :? Do ZIPPs climb as easy as Fulcrum Racing 3 do? Hub quality, what about descending? :)

I am sure any of these wheelsets would be great upgrade to my Fulcrum Racing 7 and in case of ZIPPs I won't pay much for brand when they are priced like that.

I have nice hills wherever I look but I also like riding fast on the flats. That's why I am concerned about the weight of ZIPPs.

Thank you :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r_mutt

by r_mutt

Is the Racing 3 a Fulcrum Campagnolo Zonda? I think it is, and if so, it's hard to go wrong with that wheel. Almost perfect. I have over 15,000 miles on that rim and only now am I thinking of relegating them to winter duty. Last year I did a lot of wet weather riding and that accelerated it's demise. Bulletproof and hubs that spin for days.

Stefano

by Stefano

Another vote for the fulcrums over the zipps. I really fail to understand their (zipps) place in the alloy wheel market- they are overpriced and under-preform versus the competition. Hubs are generally pretty bad too, although I understand the newer ones are getting better.

Also, as long as you're considering 11s, why not go campy and get chorus 11 or something? Just a thought...

martinko

by martinko

Thanks for your opinions. I really like Fulcrums and just got the offer for ZIPPs, I may go for Fulcrums at the end :) Although I think that ZIPPs will look much better on CAAD10, but deeper ones than just 30mm.

Currently I have Shimano 105 groupset on the bike, but thinking whether to go to new Sram Force 22 or to new Ultegra. There would be nice match with ZIPPs if I decided for Force. But alas, then I already have Pro Vibe cockpit. Campy won't fit this bike unfortunately, but I may think about it once again too.

ichobi

by ichobi

Fulcrum 3 is Zonda. Basically the best factory wheel you can get at this price point. Decent weight, one of the best hubs, strong rim and not expensive.

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

martinko

by martinko

I found cheaper Zondas, you are right. But I haven't searched for discounts on Fulcrums yet. The price I mentioned is standard in my country, I'd say, ZIPPs are after the discount. So there is a chance I might get Fulcrums cheaper as well. I prefer Fulcrums than Zondas because of the rest of the bike and buying at local e-shop ;)

Philbar72

by Philbar72

Fulcrums by a mile, better hubs, lighter, and very possibly better power transfer, due to their stiffness. The zipps are not in the same league.

martinko

by martinko

Thanks to all for help. However, it looks like it will end in different wheels (Dura Ace) :-) More info later.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Can't go wrong with the DA wheels......best factory wheels money can buy IMHO.

Phill P

by Phill P

no competition on quality. The racing 3/zonda is the best bang for buck big brand prebuilt wheel there is!

The Zipp 30 will really dilute their brand. What are they trying to do with this wheel? Over price it then offer good OEM pricing? (aka mavic style)
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

LouisN

by LouisN

I'm shure Zipp has some wind tunnel data proving the 30's are faster than anything in their range... :lol:

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com