Chinese Carbon, Disc Specific Rims?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pushstart

by pushstart

bm0p700f wrote:Well Ryde have a 25mm deep alloy climcher disc only rim that weighs 337g. So there is a weight saving for proper disc specific rims. This rim has an internal width of 15mm, can hold 1200N spoke tension and will take tyres inflated to 120 psi. So proven it is it is just no one has done it for carbon yet.

To prove this you really have to show how much weight the brake track would add to the same rim. I realize this isn't really practical, so the real proof probably has to include some math.

We can always find light rim counter examples. E.g. American Classic makes a 300g alloy clincher (with brake track) that is 22mm deep with 18mm internal width ...

bricky21

by bricky21

Ryde accomplished almost exactly the same weight savings that Enve did. Have a look for yourself. http://www.ryde.nl/en/high-end
The rim brake version is 395 g. which is really pushing the limits of an aluminum rim.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pushstart

by pushstart

Good point -- I should have looked it up. I stand corrected; that is impressive and seems very much to demonstrate the weight savings potential. 55g in a sub-400g rim is quite significant.