HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:59 am
Posts: 16
A club mate got caught in a crash on the weekend. The front rim on his Dura Ace c24 clinchers is toast but the hub is still good. I was going to look at building the hub (DA 9000) onto another wheel for him. He will be getting a replacement through the insurance of the rider at fault but may take some time.

I think it will be neigh on impossible to get another carbon laminate rim. What good options are there for a replacement rim with 16h? It is going to need to be something quite stiff with the very low spoke count. These will be a back up race/fast club ride wheel not every day use.

What are the best options for sourcing straight pull spokes, DT Aero comp? Probably better than the Aerolite with the low spoke count.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 3:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:43 pm
Posts: 167
Location: Florida
I'd abandon the effort and buy a whole wheel if you cannot find a replacement rim plus it wont be cheap. Maybe get an Ultegra or RS81 front wheel.


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Tue May 26, 2015 3:09 pm 


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 7:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:06 pm
Posts: 326
Location: Yorkshire - God's Own Country
So many people have this dilemma: lovely smooth DA hubs with worn out or damaged rims. The C24 has been produced since 7900 came out IIRC - the user base must be pretty large. There must be a market for someone to produce a half - decent aluminium rim with the same ERD as the C24?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:06 pm 
Offline
in the industry

Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 7:25 pm
Posts: 1927
Location: Glermsford, Suffolk U.K
There might be a chinese carbon rim with the same erd id give that route a go.

_________________
www.thecycleclinic.co.uk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:04 pm
Posts: 259
I looked into it once upon a time and gave up! Best option was rs81 c24 rim which were considerably cheaper than the DA equivalent

They are standard replacement parts from memory - LBS can confirm.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:59 am
Posts: 16
Doing a bit of research I found this. http://www.evanscycles.com/products/col ... m-ec028912. From a similar thread viewtopic.php?f=113&t=125415

Weight = 450g
ERD = 590mm

I am not sure of the shimano ERD but it seems to have a very similar profile. Although, As I will be replacing the spokes its not an issue.

The rim is quite cheap so might give this a go. What do people think about spokes. Will the DT Aerocomp give a bit of extra stiffness over the Aerolite?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:37 am
Posts: 191
mimason wrote:
I'd abandon the effort and buy a whole wheel if you cannot find a replacement rim plus it wont be cheap. Maybe get an Ultegra or RS81 front wheel.


I'd suggest the opposite. Find an open mold rim in 16h that you like and take that plus the hub to a builder. They can sort out the spoke details for you. For reference, I had a DA7900 16h hub built with a nice carbon hoop, and have somewhere around 20,000km on it now. Total cost was ~$300 all in.

_________________
Allez E5 - 8.00kg

DengFu FM086 - 8.3kg

CAAD9 - 6.32kg (sold)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:43 pm
Posts: 167
Location: Florida
natefontaine wrote:
mimason wrote:
I'd abandon the effort and buy a whole wheel if you cannot find a replacement rim plus it wont be cheap. Maybe get an Ultegra or RS81 front wheel.


I'd suggest the opposite. Find an open mold rim in 16h that you like and take that plus the hub to a builder. They can sort out the spoke details for you. For reference, I had a DA7900 16h hub built with a nice carbon hoop, and have somewhere around 20,000km on it now. Total cost was ~$300 all in.


I think a carbon hoop may be an option but a C24 is a alu track. A lot of alu rims will build up pretty flexy with 16h.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:08 am
Posts: 228
9000 series? Tubeless or Clincher hub? The clincher hub is easier to source spokes for. I'd put a 35mm+ carbon clincher rim on it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:06 pm
Posts: 326
Location: Yorkshire - God's Own Country
aussietim wrote:
A club mate got caught in a crash on the weekend. The front rim on his Dura Ace c24 clinchers is toast but the hub is still good. I was going to look at building the hub (DA 9000) onto another wheel for him. He will be getting a replacement through the insurance of the rider at fault but may take some time.

I think it will be neigh on impossible to get another carbon laminate rim. What good options are there for a replacement rim with 16h? It is going to need to be something quite stiff with the very low spoke count. These will be a back up race/fast club ride wheel not every day use.

What are the best options for sourcing straight pull spokes, DT Aero comp? Probably better than the Aerolite with the low spoke count.


http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/4559/products ... inate.aspx


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:33 pm 


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], slashdotdash and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. The Replacement

in Introduce Yourself / Gallery - Please use metric weights.

Fixie82

9

1441

Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:02 am

AZR3 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. SRM PC7 battery replacement

in Road

Machinenoise

1

326

Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:55 am

ms6073 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Replacement Speedplay Zero bowties

in Road

aarw

4

456

Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:23 pm

aarw View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. H Plus Son Archetype wear before replacement?

[ Go to page: 1, 2 ]

in Everything wheels

iamalex

25

1125

Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:20 pm

iamalex View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Cassette Body Replacement

in Cyclocross / Touring

GRRider

1

252

Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:10 pm

kramnnim View the latest post


It is currently Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:03 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Advertising   –  FAQ   –  Contact   –  Convert   –  About

© Weight Weenies 2000-2013
hosted by starbike.com


How to get rid of these ads? Just register!


Powered by phpBB