What's the consensus on carbon clinchers, seriously?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

go4custom

by go4custom

spdntrxi- Riding in my backyard! I hope you enjoyed the event and roads. Even when there are not hundreds of people on those roads they can be tricky to descend. The one off Tin Barn that you speak of is one that requires a lot of attention and respect. Even being a good descender in this area, I'm on the brakes!

Most people that I have talked to over the years doing Levi's GranFondo that are riding carbon clinchers are not from the area and absolutely do not understand the type of roads and how steep the descents are.

I don't own and will probably never own carbon clinchers. but I think the thing to remember if you're going to be riding short steep or long steep descents (AND ITS HOT) is to LOWER tire pressure. Just because you ride at 110psi during normal riding doesn't mean you should be when it's 95-100 degrees and you'll be on the brakes. I still would't ride them in the mtns but riding them at 90-95psi will give you some safety cushion when it's hot out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

aaric

by aaric

The other issue with doing those descents in a gran fondo is that you are likely to get stuck behind a rider or three that overly cautious and riding their brakes. I had a near miss a couple years back where somebody grabbed a fistful of brake out of the blue because they freaked out. I can't imagine going with carbon clinchers down those descents honestly, especially with so many of the riders around you unfamiliar with the roads: even those at the pointy end of the field on the climbs.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

go4custom wrote:spdntrxi- Riding in my backyard! I hope you enjoyed the event and roads. Even when there are not hundreds of people on those roads they can be tricky to descend. The one off Tin Barn that you speak of is one that requires a lot of attention and respect. Even being a good descender in this area, I'm on the brakes!

Most people that I have talked to over the years doing Levi's GranFondo that are riding carbon clinchers are not from the area and absolutely do not understand the type of roads and how steep the descents are.

I don't own and will probably never own carbon clinchers. but I think the thing to remember if you're going to be riding short steep or long steep descents (AND ITS HOT) is to LOWER tire pressure. Just because you ride at 110psi during normal riding doesn't mean you should be when it's 95-100 degrees and you'll be on the brakes. I still would't ride them in the mtns but riding them at 90-95psi will give you some safety cushion when it's hot out.

I was riding lower pressure that day (95). There was a bad wreck, so they held us up at the rest station until all the ambulances got though. When the roads opened again, I was in no hurry to get down there.. so I let a lot of people go in front of me. Kind of a mistake since it just made me ride the brakes even more. Eventually I pulled off to the side and sat for awhile, letting whoever was still faster then me go by and more important letting the more timid get clearance in front.

I plan to get some DA C24 9000's next year to use instead of my Enve's. I have a pair of Roval fusee SLX 23's.. wish I had brought those instead of my Enve's... I would have had a little more guts on the downhills with Al clinchers. Live and learn.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I use Dura Ace C-24's. They're light and have a traditional metal braking surface and ride great. I see no reason for Carbon Clinchers.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

RedRacer

by RedRacer

Alex_ucsb wrote:Generally, it's only the big US brands that have the heat thing really figured out; I'd have no compunction in this day and age riding down the nastiest descents on a new set of Enve/Zipp/Reynolds wheels, but my experience hasn't borne out the same confidence in cheaper brands.

Add Lightweight Meilenstein Clinchers to the safe list?

Alex_ucsb
Shop Owner

by Alex_ucsb

RedRacer wrote:
Alex_ucsb wrote:Generally, it's only the big US brands that have the heat thing really figured out; I'd have no compunction in this day and age riding down the nastiest descents on a new set of Enve/Zipp/Reynolds wheels, but my experience hasn't borne out the same confidence in cheaper brands.

Add Lightweight Meilenstein Clinchers to the safe list?

The original Gen 3 clinchers did have heat issues, however the hearsay I've heard is that the Gen 4/Meilensteins do work as advertised.

tomb2100

by tomb2100

Never used Carbon Clinchers but I really wanted some...... then I discovered I could be aero, brake safely and still not put on weight :lol:

Giant p-slr1 aero wheelsystem

They are 49mm deep, 23mm wide, have DT Swiss hubs are tubeless compatible and weigh in at 1595 grams not including rim tape and skewers. Problem Solved :beerchug:

Stammer

by Stammer

I'm in dilemma, enve 3.4 or 6.7. It will be using CK ceramic hubs. My weight is 56kg if that helps. Currently using my trusty Fulcrum Racing Zero..will 6.7 make a big difference from my current wheelset? A good lbs owner recommended me 6.7 over 3.4 if I am a serious rider. Any points worth to be looking at from existing owner or who had ridden both wheels? I'm talking clinchers not tubs. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The 6.7 rims are wider and deeper with a more aero dynamoc profile. You are quite light though and side winds will be more noticable for you than say me with an extra 22kg to lug around.

The Racing zero's will be less aero. You don't even have to ride them to know that. So forget weight if you want to know about performance. What do you want highest possible speed them pick the enve 6.7 and just live with the heavier rims and getting blown about a bit, i.e do you TT. If you want a allrounder that you can ride everyday then the racing zero's will no doubt fill that role rather well with the bonus they have already lightened your wallet.

skinnyrider

by skinnyrider

The enve 6.7s are only a very slight, 0.2mm, bit deeper than zipp 404 at the front wheel, where it matters.

I don't know why people think they'll be bad in wind. Unless it's howling. If you can bike handle you'll be fine.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Blown around a bit does not have to be a problem, and yes it does have to be quite a wind to do that. also the previous poster had not mentioned the Zipp 404 so what does that wheel have to add? the rider above is very light too and light rider in general tend to get blown about more with deeper rim when it windy.

fogman

by fogman

Another consideration is if one frequently switches between clinchers for training and tubulars for racing. No need to swap brake pads if using carbon rims on both wheelsets.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

Poonjabby

by Poonjabby

I can't say what's good for me would be good for the next person. I ride primarily in NE Kansas. A lot of hilly terrain and a lot of wind. Before I bought my Roval CLX 40's I took into consideration my riding profile. I'm not a racer, I enjoy longer rides. I ride a lot with my wife, seldom in groups. The number one concern I had was how the wheel would feel in a 20-30 knot crosswind which is very common here in Kansas. I chose the CLX 40s because of the reviews I read, my riding style, my riding location. And the biggest reason was in gusty winds it's didn't scare the crap out of me.

Poon
Poonjabby Rides a Bike on Facebook

dumptruk

by dumptruk

I've put about 600 miles on a set of chinese carbon clinchers hand-laced by a wheel builder in town. Comes with that sale-pitchy "basalt" brake surface. With Swisstop Black Princes, I don't have any issues with stopping in dry weather. Well see how it is when that surface wears down.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

5.5k and there is still no wear to conern me. Brake track still flat. Basalt surface still there. Man these are poroving more durable than my alu rims.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com