race wheels, for larger rider

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The problem with a thread like this every one has a different opinion but they are all variations on very similar theme. I would second record hub or maybe DA 9000 if you are a shimano user. I have not mentioned Royce. You see there are my three favourite current production hubs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

You are not limited at all. I am also 220+/- depending on the season and 6'3" tall. I own ENVE 6.7, 3.4, Zipp 303, 404 and 808's and have never had an issue with any of them.
carbonLORD.com

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

teleguy57

by teleguy57

bm0p700f wrote:The problem with a thread like this every one has a different opinion but they are all variations on very similar theme. I would second record hub or maybe DA 9000 if you are a shimano user. I have not mentioned Royce. You see there are my three favourite current production hubs.

I have a pair of silver Record hubs and I'm looking to decide what to do with them. 90kg rider; already have Nemesis on Chorus and a pair of tubular Nucleons, plus TB-14s on Miche. Thinking tubular and would like to go mid-profile (35-55mm) carbon, but I'm concerned that 32 spokes will make for an uncomfortable wheel. What do folks think of a low-profile carbon with 32 spokes f/r? Or would a 45mm rim be ok?

petepeterson

by petepeterson

It might be uncomfortable and I think it's just weird.

teleguy57

by teleguy57

petepeterson wrote:It might be uncomfortable and I think it's just weird.

You know, I'm kind of there myself. Would love to be able to use the Records and have a nice set of carbon tubulars... but they may not be able to be in the same set of wheels....

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Wheels do not make an uncomfortable ride. Tyre choice ansd pressure run make a huge difference. The type of rim used or spoke or even spoke count make hardly any difference. When people talk about a harsh ride I am not sure what they are refering to. A wheel does not vertically deflect by any amount that is noticeable. Sound is transmitted trough a wheel and you can "feel" sound as it simply vibrations. Again a wheel ability to absorb vibrations differs a bit but the tyre, pressures run and the soft contact points do a bigger job of attenuating sound vibrations than the metal bits that make up a bike. In fact carbon being a layered structure should attenuate sound vibrations better than aluminium or still will but you rarely see some one write how comfortable there carbon bike is but you do see that for steel. Without measurements all these statements are meaningless.

Use your record hubs and if you don't post them to me. I can guarantee I will use them.

Record hubs are lovely and yes they do have the interchangeable freehub advantage as well as being brilliant in every way.

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

I weigh 225 lbs I race with my mad fibers and use these as my training wheels on my road bike but as race wheels on my cx bike for gravel races,
They are white industry t11 to pacenti sl23 sapiam cx ray except for the rear drive, I used sapiam leader, 24 front 28 rear, the total weight came in at 1590grams

teleguy57

by teleguy57

bm0p700f wrote:Use your record hubs and if you don't post them to me. I can guarantee I will use them. Record hubs are lovely and yes they do have the interchangeable freehub advantage as well as being brilliant in every way.

Sorry, sir, I do plan to use them -- just need to determine with what rims. They are amazing!

mvacolnago wrote: The wheels look great, but the bikes.... sorry, had to take a minute to wipe the drool off my keyboard :thumbup:

Zoro

by Zoro

manny20 wrote:At 220lbs, i am slightly limited. I am looking at Cosmic Carbone sls, AMC 420 Aero, and AMC sprint for this upcoming race season. I am a sprinter, and am looking for a solid wheelset. dosnt have to be aero, although it is preferred. any suggestions? Thanks

I do think the Cosmic is a great choice BTW.

I'm not reading about HOW you ride. I'm about your weight now and rode a 500#+ tandem on dual 32hole and later ran a 20hole front on the tandem when weight was 350#. I use and have used very light stuff for years with no issues.
Things to consider:
Tire profile - use 25mms...
PSI - go 130psi +
Do you unweight when going over rail road tracks...etc.
A heavier rider should have deep rims.
Out of the saddle bike tosser, or in the saddle grinder.
Tubulars can take more in the same weight

I like the Cosmics, but I think a number of tubular 50mm profile, 25mm width with 25mm tires would do just fine.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

130 PSI + isn't required, no matter the weight of the rider.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

130 psi will likely guarantee a horrible ride and harder tires aren't faster above a certain pressure. The tire needs to deform not only for comfort but for speed. Same idea as suspension on a MTB or car.

Geoff

by Geoff

+1. With a high-volume tire, there is no need for that kind of pressure, even for a larger rider.

Zoro

by Zoro

The guys that are in the saddle all day weigh around 150lbs. Total with bike - say 165lbs. They tend to race with ~115psi.
So 1.43#/PSI That is neglecting the casing flex (worse for light guys).

Using the same ratio 234lb total would be 165psi. Or 130psi for a 220lb rider plus bike would like 90psi for a 150lb rider.
http://www.bicycling.com/garmin-insider ... ure-racing

I am the size of the OP and find 130 Vittoria clinchers very supple and comfortable. also the OP says he (I assume) is a sprinter. If he were at the track I would expect they would be running him about 160psi.
Last edited by Zoro on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zoro

by Zoro

petepeterson wrote:130 psi will likely guarantee a horrible ride and harder tires aren't faster above a certain pressure. The tire needs to deform not only for comfort but for speed. Same idea as suspension on a MTB or car.
Why do you think Garmin says their TDF TT riders use up to 145psi+ for TTs - these are not 220# riders.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com