Anyone actually using DT180 hubs?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jordan00

by jordan00

hi all,

just wondering if anyone has hands on experience with a set of DT180's. All ive read says theyre not worth the extra dollars over the 240s, and arent as durable as something like CK or WI. But can anyone who actually rides them give any sort of feedback on durability/how they roll?

jordan

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

They have the same bracing angle issue that all DT road hubs have. NDS bracing angle just is not large. Deep section or medium depth wide rims are needed to create a stiff wheel.

All hubs roll well, power comsumption of a hub due to drag is not high. They are not worth the extra cost over DT 240's and WI T11 hubs have better bracing angles, cheaper and they have a Ti freehub. Ti freehub cannot notch so it s freehub for life just change the bearings once in a while. T11 hubs also use a steel axle and the lack of flex in it is likely to contribute to the long service life of the bearings.

Given the T11 hub exists get them over DT Swiss hubs.

CK R45 hubs are over priced for what they are - a hub. Other make reliable hubs for a lot less.

Also consider Shimano Dura Ace or if you want bicycle jewellery - Royce.

PSM

by PSM

My 180's works as good as standard 240's. Just lighter and brighter.

jordan00

by jordan00

Wow bm0p fantastic info! Much appreciated :beerchug:

Wingnut

by Wingnut

bm0p700f wrote:They have the same bracing angle issue that all DT road hubs have. NDS bracing angle just is not large. Deep section or medium depth wide rims are needed to create a stiff wheel.

Hmm...I've never noticed any problems with stiffness with either of my DT 240 wheels compared to my other Campag, Mavic and Hope hubed wheels?

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

After 7+ years my 190 hubset finally needed new bearings and recently the rear DS flange cracked.

I also got a strong sense the wheelset was not very efficient due to the narrow spacing of the hubset among other things. This was confirmed by the comparison with a new wheelset.

I think there are better hubset options out there if you are planning on using shallow depth rims.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

The 180 hubs are definitely not worth the price premium over the 240. Everything mentioned about bracing angle applies as well. But, for most people, they build wheels that are more than adequate.

The 180 freehub bearings are actually smaller and less durable than those in the 240.

PSM

by PSM

*bling* ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikeridah

by bikeridah

I have Enve's one with 240s other with 180s, cannot tell them apart ridewise, I do like glancing down at the white 180s more than the black 240s, but that doesn't make em faster!