What are the lightest clincher tires out there?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I know the Supersonics are claimed weight of 150gm and the Hutchinson Atom Comp X Lite are cliamed 160gm, not sure on real world weights, what other are there up to the 200gm mark?

Tire Claimed Actual
Veloflex Record 700x20 140
Conti Supersonics 700x20 150
Hutchi Atom Comp X Lite 700x23 160
Hutchi Atom Comp 700x23 180

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wrcompositi

by wrcompositi

Maxxis Zenith Equipe Legere

Claimed 700x20C 135g, 700x23C 150g
Actual 700x20C 136g, 700x23C 151g, 180g (bought at different times, but can't tell the difference from the looks)

These don't have puncture protection layers, the tread is scarily thin but doesn't seem to wear too easily and able to cope with small rocks on the road without gouges and cuts. I've only used them for a short period(300~400km maybe), than convert to tubulars, so the longevity is unknown. I did have one puncture with one of these tires, caused by a glass shard that penetrated the casing.

If I'm in the market for another set of lightweight clinchers, I would try Vittoria Diamante Pro Light(700x23C 170g), which I read has positive comments.

thprice

by thprice

Have not tried them, but they look interesting: Grand Bois Extra Léger
http://www.compasscycle.com/tires_gb_x_leger.html

Col de la Madeleine Extra Léger 700C x 23 mm 181 g, clincher, folding bead. Tan sidewalls. Made in Japan.
Cerf blue Extra Léger 700C x 26 mm 176 g, clincher, folding bead. Tan sidewalls. Made in Japan.

Weights have not been verified.

gravity

by gravity

@wrcompositi - I had a Vittoria Diamante Pro Radiale on my front wheel and all I can say that I won't be buying those again. Lasted less than 700km, much sooner than my GP4000s which I had installed on my rear wheel 4-5 months earlier than the Diamante. The GP4000s is still strong and not showing any sign to slow down.

The rubber is really thin on the Diamante, showed thread really quick and I had a slash on the sidewall. With Diamante Pro Light being lighter, I don't think it is a better product.

Vittoria Open Corsa CX on the other hand is an excellent tire.

Miller

by Miller

A word in defence of Victoria Diamante Pro Radiale, I ran them all summer on my nice bike, maybe 3000-4000km. One puncture I can remember in fine weather although that was when I crossed a line of gravel on a country lane, a move I knew was risky. They're a perfectly good tyre although not superlight at around 200g as far as I remember. I did notice lately that I could see casing threads at one point on the rear so I guess they're not the high mileage choice.

One of the Ultremo variants is very light [quick search] Ultremo ZLX, claimed 160g.

buc

by buc

tufo s33 pro tubular for clincher rims the best !
and tufo elite jet for racing also tubular for clinchers ... light and very good ! :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

buc wrote:tufo s33 pro tubular for clincher rims the best !
and tufo elite jet for racing also tubular for clinchers ... light and very good ! :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How do those even work on a clincher rim? :noidea:

Guerdi

by Guerdi

gravity wrote:@wrcompositi - I had a Vittoria Diamante Pro Radiale on my front wheel and all I can say that I won't be buying those again. Lasted less than 700km, much sooner than my GP4000s which I had installed on my rear wheel 4-5 months earlier than the Diamante. The GP4000s is still strong and not showing any sign to slow down.

The rubber is really thin on the Diamante, showed thread really quick and I had a slash on the sidewall. With Diamante Pro Light being lighter, I don't think it is a better product.

+1.

These sure feel nice, but they're not worth their price. My rear tire only lasted 1000 km and I've had countless punctures, both at rear and front tire. And they don't feel as secure as the gp4000s on wet roads.

If you go the Vittoria route, it's Open Corsa or tubulars IMO.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

arcatern

by arcatern

the tufos are a "tubular style clincher" - basically a clincher with a tube built in and a kevlar bead.
In theory, best of both worlds, but because the valve core isn't removable, you have to use pitstop for a flat, AND carry a whole tire with you, as a tube won't get you anywhere. I had them on my first road bike, and still have some lying around, and only use them for the trainer. they rode well, felt great, but weren't fast and if they punctured you were hooped.