Sub 1000g wheelset for 85kg rider

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Wcl4

by Wcl4

Is there a set that's reliable? I was looking at Enve 1.45 20/24 with Tune Mig 70/Mag 170 or a bit heavier with the Alchemy ELF and ORC UL.

I heard the 1.25 may be a little flexy for a heavier rider. I've also seen the AX Lightness wheels, but I'm a bit leery of how strong those are. I'd like to keep the wheels as still as possible.

As an FYI, I already have a set of Lightweight Gen III standards at 1150g, so if I'm going to spend the money, I would like it be noticeably lighter. The Lightweights are currently on a different bike, and I'd be looking at the ENVEs for a new ultra lightweight project.

Thanks in advance.

Please, :search: (and the correct sub-forum)

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=62998" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=70574" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

etc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zoro

by Zoro

I *think* you can get this. I raced master tandem on 250kg+ variations (depending on partner) on tubs and stock wheels. While I totally agree you should not set weight as a goal, I was using a 500g 20 hole Nimble Fly as a front wheel, and a Nimble Crosswind 650g front and 750g rear for several years until I broke the first spoke on the fly. Ran Tufo 165 @ 180PSI. We didn't sprint on these or stand up much, but these were good.

Still you are much better off finding the wheel with the ride you want than weight.