Current vs older record hubs

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

thisisatest wrote:Later centaur front hubs cheaped out, went to the non-adjustable steel axle type. I want to say that the rear eventually went that way as well, but my memory is fuzzy in my old age.
The older centaur ones were lighter than record, by a couple grams, due to its preload collar being plastic. Once record gained its lightweight refinements (like the steel right axle end no longer incorporating a spacer, and then adding a spacer in aluminum) it became lighter than centaur.

Centaur went to sealed bearings only after the hub shell redesign that looked like the black Record above. If they look like the silver older style Records, then they are virtually identical to Record.

Campy's own wheels in the top half of their range also use hubs with similar internals. For instance, I acquired a used set of Neutrons with shot bearings, and replaced the guts with those from some NOS Centaur hubs.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

The logistics cost of stocking and retailing small parts ( labor, storage, transport, packaging, cataloging and organising ) is higher than the part itself
Hucken The Fard Up !
Colnagos : C50 ST01 - Master 30th AD10 - C40 Mapei WC

eurperg

by eurperg

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Causidicus wrote:The only gripe I have with these hubs (old and new) is the total cost of spares. Balls and cones are cheap. Cups aren't so cheap (but very rarely need replacing) and Campagnolo wants to sell you a box of 4/5 items rather than individual sales. It's a little sad that if you have a hub with lunched cups, cones and balls, it's far cheaper to buy a complete new Record hub and strip the parts out of it and end up with bonus items like axle, endcaps, freehub (if rear) and hub body that you can then flog off to subsidise the whole repair effort.

As I said, Centaur uses the same p/n's for bearings, cups and cones. These items are also shared between front and rear hubs. So, one solution to obtain a complete bearing set is find a NOS Centaur front hub, available in the 40 euro range.

One.

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eurperg

by eurperg

Causidicus wrote:That's expensive. I get an entire front hub and skewer for that price.

Link?

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

eurperg wrote:
Causidicus wrote:That's expensive. I get an entire front hub and skewer for that price.

Link?

here's one http://www.totalcycling.com/a-z/hubs/hubs_road/HBF_CENTAUR_02.html

One.

Zoro

by Zoro

kgt wrote:I have a chance to get a pair of the super rare silver Record 2006 hubs for my Colnago Master. Are these hubs anyway better than the current black hubs? I know the black are lighter (aprox. 100gr the pair) but are of a lower quality as well?
I used to build lots of wheels with the 1980-1990 Record. Back then some manufactures would counter-sync/shape (Phil-Wood) spoke holes and others would not. Campy Record hubs had soft alloy and a properly built wheel would create a nice groove in the hub hole and distribute force over a greater area, where a hard anodized, or harder alloy hub would maintain the sharper edges and have more spoke breakage. It looks to me from the picture the 2006 is the same. With current rims, spokes don't seem to break as much, but that was a nice feature of the Campy hubs. If you rebuild the wheels you need to use the same rim/lace pattern or go the opposite way.

Causidicus

by Causidicus