Cervelo RCA electronic wire front derailleur

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

movarz

by movarz

Hello,

Any RCA owner with electronic group had this problem?

On my RCA frameset, the hole for the front derailleur wire is too big to cover it with Shimano grommets...

ImageImage

movarz

by movarz

Sorry for the pics, now updated

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

Send it back.

Although it sounds flippant a product at this pricepoint should involve no compromises at all. I can think of several solutions, but would say that the customer should not have to fudge a solution at this level.

tcurtbike
Best Freak bike poster

by tcurtbike

From memory there are two different sized grommets available from Shimano, you may have the smaller of the two.

rijndael

by rijndael

tcurtbike wrote:From memory there are two different sized grommets available from Shimano

6mm Round
7 x 8mm Oval

rmerka

by rmerka

ghisallo2003 wrote:Send it back.

Kinda jumping the gun there. That big hole is intended for the older Di2 plugs or some other larger cable. The hole behind the seat tube is the intended route for e-tube wiring to the FD.

Ceebers1

by Ceebers1

A great deal of frames now have larger diameter openings for wiring, and the supplied Shimano groms are too small.

You could send it back like a dick, or just get some campy or generic plugs that will fit the frame properly, fit the cable properly, and start riding the thing.

Why?

Di2 standard was released to frame manufacturers before Campy officially released their stuff, and grommets were made to fit those holes.

Then Campy officially came out with EPS.......

The Campy wire terminals are wider, because they don't give a shit what Shimano does. -So many unknowing folks who built a bike with the brand new EPS and an (electronic ready) frameset found out that these frames were built for the Di2 standard, and subsequently had to drill the frames out or get upset about how multi-thousand dollar bike frames and parts sometimes don't go together like legos..

Now, most manufacturers are widening holes on upper-end whips for EPS, and the standard Shimano style plugs are too small for larger Omni-electronic friendly frames..

I'm not trying to be a naughty cock here, but I have heard this over and over in the last few years, and it is just an issue of Campagnolo making things difficult. -So now frames can have have bigger holes, and we can be supplied with grommets that are too small.

Hope this was entertaining. Toodles.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Sugru is great for this. Make your own grommets.

movarz

by movarz

I tried all kind of Shimano grommets, SM-GM01 of 6mm, SM-GM02 od 7x8mm and grommet for old Di2 7x8mm also.
All them are loose on the FD frame hole.

I looked at Shimano and Campagnolo specifications for frame holes and are the same: 7x8mm

Sandro2014

by Sandro2014

Hi Please I need help for make bit my frameset Orbea Orca 2012.My frame is mechanical and wish install my DA 9070Di2 internal system so I wish make bits same position frameset Orbea Orca eletronic.I have all photos holes frame eletronic and I wish make identic but....What fiber carbon 0.8mm? Tungsten carbide bit?
Sorry my english
Thx

Sandro

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Drill with little pressure. I used a carbide bite. A cheaper bit could be used but it will not last as long. Smaller drill size than what you need. Use a small stone or carbide grinder bit to grind the hole to the final size. I did mine and had no problems.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sandro2014

by Sandro2014

Butcher wrote:Drill with little pressure. I used a carbide bite. A cheaper bit could be used but it will not last as long. Smaller drill size than what you need. Use a small stone or carbide grinder bit to grind the hole to the final size. I did mine and had no problems.

ok Thanks!