HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:45 am
Posts: 2
Hi There,

I'm looking to buy a set of carbon clinchers.

I'm 6'4 and around 105 kgs

I ride around 400 kms a week on (mix of hills and flats)

Based on my research it looks like the ENVE 3.4s on Chris King R45s or the DT Swiss 180s would be good.

Two questions that I'd value your point of view on:

1. Am I too heavy to be riding on carbon clinchers?

2. If not, would you go for the CKs or the DT Swiss Hubs?

Thanks kindly,

J


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:51 am 


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 11:52 am
Posts: 32
Exactly same height and used to be 113. Now 95 and still falling quick

1. yep. (imo and experince with carbon tubs)

2. No answer unless you like burning money. Go on a holiday or take family somewhere special.

Cheap ass fulcrum 5's or 7's will see you through till your down a bit, and will help you get there!

Sorry if this is not the answer your looking for, but spending a *f##k** massive shiteload of cash to save 200g on a pair of wheels will not make you go any faster up the hills. Ride lots - drink less, smash all the puny dudes into the ground on the flats and in the wind on your cheap ass wheels. It's called weight training. When you get down to 85kg buy a pair of carbon tubs and pretend to be a racer.

Carbon wheels will look flash on your bike in a photo but thats all.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:04 am
Posts: 2366
Location: Mississippi
+1....nothing worse than looking out of place on your own bike IMO.

_________________
Cervelo R3

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=125962


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:29 pm
Posts: 45
Jaimesl wrote:
Hi There,

I'm looking to buy a set of carbon clinchers.

I'm 6'4 and around 105 kgs

I ride around 400 kms a week on (mix of hills and flats)

Based on my research it looks like the ENVE 3.4s on Chris King R45s or the DT Swiss 180s would be good.

Two questions that I'd value your point of view on:

1. Am I too heavy to be riding on carbon clinchers?

2. If not, would you go for the CKs or the DT Swiss Hubs?



Thanks kindly,

J



Take a look at these in the 24/28 configuration. Stated weight limit is 250 lbs which should have you covered.
http://www.boydcycling.com/products/60mm-clincher.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:43 pm
Posts: 100
Location: Senigallia
the lightweight gipfelsturm have a weight limit of 110kg, but i suppose this includes the frame and components...so you might be a bit over it.

_________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4XxCZagAjk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:36 pm 
Offline
Shop Owner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:27 am
Posts: 1244
Location: McCall, ID
You're not too heavy for carbon clinchers. The Enves could easily handle your weight even in the 20/24 drilling that the SES series come in.

Concerning the hubs both the Kings and DTs are great options. The Kings have the bling factor (name, colors, etc) where as the DTs are much easier to service.

_________________
http://www.zencyclery.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:45 am
Posts: 2
Thanks for all the replies.

Appreciated.

J


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:15 pm
Posts: 26
Location: Norway
Sorry for using this thread but it seemed somewhat useful for my question.
I see several sites claiming a weight of 1250g for the ENVE ses 3.4 clincher, like here http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/wheels/road-wheels/factory-road-wheels/enve-ses-34-clincher-wheelset-ck-hub-plus-free-tyres.html

The rims alone is claimed to weigh a total of 885g from several sources, and the Chris King hubs which I believe must be the R-45 is 317g (anyway its the lightest from CK). Thats 1202g, so now you have approx 48g for spokes and nipples. Explain it to me, what am I missing?

I also have a seller here in Norway who is claiming a weight of 1245g for the clincher version with CK R-45 hubs.

Also bikeradar claims a weight in this range (1277g) with R-45, http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/wheel-sets/product/review-smart-enve-system-34-wheelset-12-45763/

So I guess it comes down to rim weight, checking fairwheelbikes the weight for both rims supports my earlier statement (890g there).
FWIW all wheels "checked" has 20/24 spokes

Im just a big ? now

Really want them, but want to save some grams with new wheels too :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:53 am
Posts: 59
NorwegianViking wrote:
Sorry for using this thread but it seemed somewhat useful for my question.
I see several sites claiming a weight of 1250g for the ENVE ses 3.4 clincher, like here http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/wheels/road-wheels/factory-road-wheels/enve-ses-34-clincher-wheelset-ck-hub-plus-free-tyres.html

The rims alone is claimed to weigh a total of 885g from several sources, and the Chris King hubs which I believe must be the R-45 is 317g (anyway its the lightest from CK). Thats 1202g, so now you have approx 48g for spokes and nipples. Explain it to me, what am I missing?

I also have a seller here in Norway who is claiming a weight of 1245g for the clincher version with CK R-45 hubs.

Also bikeradar claims a weight in this range (1277g) with R-45, http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/wheel-sets/product/review-smart-enve-system-34-wheelset-12-45763/

So I guess it comes down to rim weight, checking fairwheelbikes the weight for both rims supports my earlier statement (890g there).
FWIW all wheels "checked" has 20/24 spokes

Im just a big ? now

Really want them, but want to save some grams with new wheels too :mrgreen:



Bikeradar's review is of the tubular set since that's what was released first and the clincher version came out afterwards. Nonetheless, it's still interesting that their measured weight (1,277g) exceeded Enve's quoted variation of +/- 2%: their specified weight for the R45 3.4 set is 1320g. Merlin cycles is erroneously quoting the tubular weight for their clincher set.

You can get a rough estimate of what a build would weigh using wheelbuilder's calculator. It's not completely spot on, but it's close enough to get an idea: http://www.wheelbuilder.com/wheel-weigh ... lator.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:29 am
Posts: 142
Madfibers have NO weight limit, I have seen them used on tandems


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:15 pm
Posts: 26
Location: Norway
Quote:
Bikeradar's review is of the tubular set since that's what was released first and the clincher version came out afterwards. Nonetheless, it's still interesting that their measured weight (1,277g) exceeded Enve's quoted variation of +/- 2%: their specified weight for the R45 3.4 set is 1320g. Merlin cycles is erroneously quoting the tubular weight for their clincher set.

You can get a rough estimate of what a build would weigh using wheelbuilder's calculator. It's not completely spot on, but it's close enough to get an idea: http://www.wheelbuilder.com/wheel-weigh ... lator.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


Thanks for the answer:)
Yes Ive used that calculator and that gives me a total weight of 1407g with sapim CX-ray spokes. So I guess it comes to what the actual weight of these are, have someone weighed them themselves?

And what other carbon clinchers with a 30-50mm profile is out there, that maybe weighs in between these 3.4 R45 and the LW Meilenstein C that is 1230g? Of course we have the Zipp 202 firecrest at 1375g..


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:53 am
Posts: 59
I have my 3.4 clinchers with Alchemy ELF/ORC-UL coming in on tues, when it shows up I could post the weights. As for the stock weight I can't remember the top of my head, but the specs on enve's site sound about right for the 3.4 clincher DT240s stock weight.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:07 pm
Posts: 637
Location: The Taint of the USA!
First of all, you aren't too heavy for some carbon clinchers. Reynolds has no specific weight limit, but they do recommend that you ride 24-spoke rear wheels to hand the weight. I tip the scales around your size, and have used my current wheels for three years with no problems (recent issues with nipples have to do with corrosion, caused by living near the sea, I would imagine).

Regarding the hubs, given your size, I would probably go with the DT 240 hubs. I've read that they are more robust, and have been using them on several wheelsets (Reynolds and Bontrager - road and mountain) without issues. They may be a little heavier than the 180's or 190's, but can take a beating.

_________________
2013 Madone 5, Superfly
2012 SpeedConcept 7, Cobia


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:11 pm
Posts: 303
Zen (roland) built my enves 3.4 alchemy ELF Cx rays weight was 650g . Rear with power tap g3 hub was 764g so 1414g with rim tape.. Considering the power tap hub .. I'm extremely pleased with weight.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:03 am
Posts: 1882
Location: Islip, NY
The biggest concern manufacturers have with heavier riders and carbon clinchers is prolonged braking. You heavier guys better get your technique down. The better manufacturers have improved heat management by leaps and bounds, but no company can guaranty against a +225lb rider cooking the brake track on a long, steep descent by dragging the brakes. Leave the carbon clinchers home if you are headed to the mountains.

Honestly at your weight, I would choose a clincher that you can up the spoke count. The Enve Classic 45 and 65 can be had in 28 hole so you can get a set built up 24/28 instead of 20/24 like the Smart line. With the mixture of hills and flats I would go with the 65mm rims. in 24/28 they will be a very strong set of wheels.

_________________
www.ergottwheels.com


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:16 pm 


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: IchDien and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Spinergy FCC carbon clinchers

in For sale - Pictures are mandatory 22-3-13

Husum

0

336

Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:13 pm

Husum View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. What's the consensus on carbon clinchers, seriously?

[ Go to page: 1 ... 8, 9, 10 ]

in Everything wheels

drainyoo

142

12575

Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:11 pm

Alex_ucsb View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Cheap carbon clinchers

in Everything wheels

nick

8

1151

Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:49 pm

nick View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. The quest for sub 1000g carbon clinchers

[ Go to page: 1, 2 ]

in Everything wheels

argus

16

1522

Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:40 pm

kulivontot View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Modern Carbon Clinchers in the Dolomites - Wow

in Road

sethjs

10

1692

Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:42 am

Johnny Rad View the latest post


It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:26 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Advertising   –  FAQ   –  Contact   –  Convert   –  About

© Weight Weenies 2000-2013
hosted by starbike.com


How to get rid of these ads? Just register!


Powered by phpBB