getting carried away... new wheelset on a budget?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

whyrichard

by whyrichard

Hello fellow weight weenies.

I am delighted to be making my first post here. I have succumbed to my innate tendency to obsess over all things two wheeled (motorcycles included with bicycles... mountain and now... road).

The latest object of my obsession has been my old dear roadie... a Klien Quantum 2 from the mid nineties. having moved to NYC recently I wanted to convert it from essentially stock to a fast but 'practical' road bike... first thing was a shift from a racy to a more upright riding position:

UPGRADE 1:
-time trial bars
-paul shorty levers
-38 tooth front, front deraileur removed
-dura ace bar end shifter
-brooks bar tape
-brooks titanium swift saddle (a gift)

Well... that latest until recently... at which point I decided to get a nice brass crane suzy bell and a new light, which kicked off the following:

-campagnolo athena brake calipers with koolstop pads (the pads make them stop better then the shimano dual pivots!)
-dura ace 170 mm cranks (down from 175)
-dura ace rear deraileur
-dura ace 9 speed (dying for that 11 tooth cog)
-vittoria racy tires (so supple and fast)
-vittoria 1976 spd shoes
-speedplay frog pedals

and holey moley i am loving this Klein! https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1828660/photo.JPG

THE QUESTION NOW my fellow weigh weenies is.... what next???????

The only thing left to upgrade is: the stem, the headset, the bb, and of course... THE WHEELS.

I am running a pretty but heavy set of Mavic Cosmic Pro's pre carbon ALUMINUM.... if I upgrade my wheels, what would you all suggest as the most economical upgrade todo?

ie... keep the hubs, upgrade the spokes and the rim to tubular tires, titanium spokes, carbon rim???
if so... what are my options....???????

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANY INSIGHT AND ADVICE!!!!

r.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

whyrichard

by whyrichard

i forgot to mention the current weight: 18.5 lbs give or take a few...

and also worth noting: i am a very lightweight rider (but quite fast i must say) 125 lbs.

r.

there are many, many threads on this located using serach (or Google)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=98951