Speedvagen 2014? / in the UK? / Alternatives

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stumpy

by stumpy

Am I alone in not being able to find the lookbook for 2014 road anywhere? :noidea:
Also - anyone have one in the UK - how was the buying experience / final costs with duty etc.?
Can anyone recommend something similar i.e. modern traditional blend in steel with an ISP from a UK builder?

chickenbourne

by chickenbourne

Ricky Feather puts out some beautiful work as does Field Cycles and I'm sure they've done some ISP frames (awesome paint too).

Afraid I can't help on the Speedwagen though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boolinwall

by boolinwall

Don't you folks have Enigma over there? Not sure I'd be looking elsewhere if they were close.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

A bike from Field Cycles would give you Speedvagen style with even more individuality, and probably at a fraction of the cost. I'm sure they ride every bit as well too. I'd love one.

Feather is less unique (he is the 'man of the moment' after all - and rightly so), but he's just finished his own ISP'd CX bike so he certainly knows what he's doing.

The only thing you'll get with a 'vagen that these don't offer is the carbon seat tube option. Knowing what a solid metal tube from BB to your bum can feel like in terms of transmission of bumps (my Baum is ISP), I'd love to be able to take this option!

Be quick if you want a 2014 'vagen though - the order book closes today!

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

No idea about the Speedvagen but with all the custom frame builders in the UK, why not use one of those? A local favourite of ours is a builder called Kevin Winter and I'm sure that he'll be able to do whatever you need.

Oddly enough, I've not heard of Ricky Feather (despite him supposedly being in the same county as us and even more surprising if he is the man of the moment!!) but the bikes on his gallery look nice. From a quick glance on his website I can't see a business address, anyone have any idea where in the UK he is based?

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Feather is a Yorkshire lad.

KB

by KB

The waiting list for Ricky Feather is about 2 years. He's based in York.

Kevin Winter makes very nice frames, but doesn't get the publicity that Feather has; and he doesn't have a website.

I've just got an Enigma, but haven't ridden it yet. It's still in the build process.

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

Thanks for that KB, I can't believe that he's based in York (40 minutes drive for me) and I've not heard of him! Time to brush up on my knowledge I think! :D

Still love your Winter bike! 8)

I did see a really nice Enigma at the recent cycle show in Birmngham, a steel frame with a purple colouring. Stunning!

stumpy

by stumpy

Thanks Stephen / KB.

Do either of you have contact details for Kevin Winter (I'm in N Lincolnshire so if he's Yorkshire way a pretty accessible option)?

Really like the look of both the Enigma (I wasn't aware they could do a straight fork and I could forgo the ISP for such nice simple paintwork and clean lines) and the Winter - I should be interested to know what the frames cost if you don't mind sharing the info - by all means pm if you don't want to publicise.

Thanks

KB

by KB

I think Winter and Enigma can both do ISP, although my own perspective is why anyone would want one; but each to their own.

Enigma's based Brighton way and is run by Mark Reilly who was formerly Omega. Not sure where the frames are built nowadays (some in the UK, but some in the Far East I think). He has a website with the prices on.

Kevin Winter's based in County Durham. My frame was built in Columbus Spirit in about 2007/2008 and was just over a grand. That excluded the carbon forks, which I sent to him to get sprayed at the same time. I don't have his phone number any more. Everything was done by phone and email and was trouble free. He's a one man band so he sometimes takes a couple of days to reply. He's very experienced with over 20 years building and used to build many frames for Paul Donohue.

Other builders: Brian Rourke builds a lot in 953, he's in Stoke on Trent; then there's Dave Yates who is based near Lincoln. Dave can also provide custom steel forks as well as he does a lot of Audax bikes. I've had frame repairs done by him and he's very competent.

Both have websites.

KB

by KB

BTW, love the Field site that Bike Tart posted. Especially like the oversized headtube because the transition from headtube to fork look seamless. A very nice way to do things, which suggests he knows what he's doing. And the paint jobs are excellent. I would definitely consider him.

stumpy

by stumpy

Very helpful, many thanks.

@KB - having perused enigma's website, is that an elite with custom painted fork?

KB

by KB

Can't remember because there's a bit of a story behind it that goes back a long way.

Anyways, it's in Columbus Spirit: hated the colour so had it resprayed locally (in Hull) including the Enve 1.0 fork.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

I'd say check out Donhou too (he can do you a carbon seat tube if you want one) http://www.donhoubicycles.com/

Field have some pretty striking colourways that are Speedvagen-esque. Swallow in London might be worth a look. Enigma have already been mentioned.

Other than that I can't really think of any more builders that build in that style; Feather is an option, Paulus Quiros and Demon are cool but are really all about the lugs, Rourke are a bit more old fashioned in design, Yates, Mercian, Bob Jackson, Roberts are very old skool
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde