20H radial, high end hub recommendations!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

OwenJames

by OwenJames

Thanks a lot.

Are these accurate though? The measurements Fairwheel have for the Tune MAG170 are way out, and don't differentiate between 10 and 11 speed. Tune supplied me with their proper measurement diagrams, which were obviously correct. I would prefer to go with the vendors specs, rather than a 3rd party who have proven themselves to be inaccurate previously... But Extralite are not playing along. They seem to answer every question in a vague and non-specific fashion...

sugarkane; did you build your Extralite Ultrafront SPM yourself using the specs from Fairwheel to calculate the spoke lengths, and did it work out OK?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Yea a mate of mine built it for me. I got tension specs, spokes and dishing info from Fairwheel
They'll give you what you need if you ask nicely, even the spoke lengths

OwenJames

by OwenJames

OK I ordered the Extralite UltraFront SPM direct from Extralite. Sweet.

Cheers for the recommendations!

Can't wait to get it.

I also got the ceramic bearings put in as an upgrade.

Will be lacing it to a FarSports 38mm carbon tubular rim, with CX-Ray spokes. Black everything.

Mint!

OwenJames

by OwenJames

Right, I got hold of the Extralite UltraFront SPM finally.

It is ridiculously light and nice.

However... I need to take the end cap off the axle in order to unscrew the compression nut, and then get the axle out so I can thread the spokes.

The end cap part seems extremely snug though; anyone actually taken one of these things apart? Give me some advice / personal experience with it, so I know how hard to mess about with it. Don't want to bugger it up before I even get to build it!

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Use something plastic. Eg a tire lever.
But taking it off Is par for the course.
You might need some pliers wrapped with cloth to budge the preload adjuster.
I had a friend rapid proto an set of adjuster pliers for me! Perfect!

OwenJames

by OwenJames

Yeah, this is proving to be a hassle. I can't get it off with my fingers,but I can see it budging a bit. Will have to improvise!

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

You can just unscrew the axle ends. You should have the manual from extralite giving torque specs for the re-install. Then the preload end and bearing will slide out. Leaving only the non pre load end bearing in place. To be honest the preload needs to be set once the wheel is built up. I recommend a really light loctight on the threads or keep it hassle free ;)

OwenJames

by OwenJames

Hmmm, when I took it apart last night I did the following;

Took off the Left End Cap, then unscrewed the preload screw. As I was taking it apart, one of the flanges slid off the main axle body. I initially thought nothing of this.

I then unscrewed the right hand side axle end (which was tight), and took that off. I then had the axle completely out of the hub body, the left hand flange and middle of hub shell together, and the right hand flange by itself.

I threaded the spokes through both flanges, and as I was putting everything back together, I realised I had no way of knowing exactly where the right hand flange should sit when I put it back on the hub shell.

How am I going to be to able to tell the correct angle?! Should the spoke holes in the left line up exactly with the spoke holes on the right, or should they be equidistant between? Either way, how am I going to be able to line these up? Any ideas??

OwenJames

by OwenJames

For info - the right hand detachable thread is self-centering when spoke tension gets high enough.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Forgot to mention that! So simple yet such a nice hub.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Good luck!

OwenJames

by OwenJames

Right, well I finished the build last week, and raced the wheel on the weekend.

First impressions... Fast!!! This, combined with the Tune/CX-Ray/FarSports build I did on the rear, was genuinely shocking to ride for the first 5km. Way, WAY faster rolling than the heavy Mavic Cosmic Carbone SR I train on.

The race was cut short due to horrific weather, and despite getting a soaking, the ceramic hubs in the Extralite hub seem to be spinning fine. I had a look inside, and they are clean with the grease still in there, so that is good. Will not make a habit of riding them in the rain though!

So yeah, building it was easy once I figured out taking it apart, and putting it back together. Adjusting the bearing load was simple too, once I got the compression ring moving - that caned my fingers pretty bad.

The wheel comes in at around 360g, which is insanely light.

Tensioning was fine; did it up to average 90kg, with not much deviation.

It really is an excellent, high end hub, and rides like a laser on ice. Definitely recommend this to anyone thinking about getting a sexy, extremely light bit of Italian fanciness.

All good, and thanks everyone for the great help!

Next build, I am thinking about getting the matching Extralite rear... :)

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Nice work. I really rate my SPM and SPX combo
I've put 7000+Kms on them in all sorts of conditions.
I've had zero problems with mine. I do give em a strip and clean every few months and more frequently if they see lots of rain. This is state of the free hub After 6-7000kms of use. I'm 85kgs too

http://instagram.com/p/a-y9g9udAE/

I really recommend the SPX rear hubs. Get the ceramics of corse!

OwenJames

by OwenJames

Hey

Yeah, since feeling how good the SPM is, I am definitely going to get an SPX.

When you service your SPM, what do you do? Do you open up the outer rubber seal on the bearings, degrease them and get out all the dirt, flush, dry then repack with grease? I imagine that is what I would do.

If this is, what grease do you use?

Nice to have another person to chat about all this with, who has the gear!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Mostly I just keep it clean and grease the axle, adjuster and other contact points
Did you get the endruo ceramics? ( If so you will need a new set in time as they are rubbish )
I use HSC ceramics and bin em
When they are shit ( very small bearings only costing $30 a pair )
That said I've had no drama with mine so far. Keeping them
Adjusted is key. Not too tight and a little light grade thread lock to stop it moving.
The grease extralite recommend is this stuff
Http://fairwheelbikes.com/extralite-alu ... -4261.html
I keep a small syringe loaded in the work shop.
It's the one you want once you get the SPX.
I service my SPX every 3-4 months or after a week of wet riding.
Just clean the thing. And re-grease the oring seal, threads, bearing contacts, ratchet ring and check the pre load.
They are a little more work that a lot of hubs but they are really simple to service and an hour spent every fee months is worth the combined weight of 187g. They sure roll fast too!

So where are the pictures of your new wheels