20H radial, high end hub recommendations!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

OwenJames

by OwenJames

Hey

So, I am having a right old time of it trying to get a Tune MIG45, so I thought I would see what else is out there in the same kind of range, which I might buy alternatively.

I want a front hub which fulfills the following;

-Ultra light
-Radial 20H
-Stiff, fast, etc. (ie, actually good)
-Looks sick, and can be polished up until it glows.
-Black
-Reassuringly expensive

Any recommendations?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kavitator

by kavitator

BARTIME

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Extralite SPM 47g of awesomeness

http://fairwheelbikes.com/extralite-ult ... -3905.html

Get the ceramic upgrade..
I have around 7-8000kms on my second SP wheelset.. So awesome!!

OwenJames

by OwenJames

Thanks for the recommendation. Bartime only offer one road front hub and it is not radial though...

OwenJames

by OwenJames

Ha, yeah I was looking at the Extralite.

How does it stand up to sprinting hard in the drops? That always seems to hammer the lighter hubs I have...

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

The flange to center is 42.5 mm and you can push the straight pull extralite hubs to 110% in recommended tension with out any drama.. I have a alchemy 6.7 wheel set and an extralite 45 wheel set and there is less lateral Deviation in the extralites, they are My sprinting wheelset hands down. I'm 85kgs by the way and while not that hard on stuff if its weak I break it.. Read the reviews over at the Fairwheel forums Jason rates the SP series hubs really highly I've had 2 wheelset built with the SPs and I rate them really highly, as long as you don't let the bearing preload run loose or over tighten em ( I use really light grade loctight on the adjusters ) they are awesome. My extralite wheelset has been my winter daily setup this year..

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

When you say a radial hub do you mean hub with a straight pull design? If so your best bet would be the hubs from the guys at Dash Cycles in Boulder. I've only built on one of their hubsets so far but I was impressed by the quality and finish.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

You want utility, straight black and a winner IMO. Alchemy ELF hub. Real pleased with my set on my HongFu 40mm aero wheels built with CXRays.

Pretty lightweight, very wide bearing placement, radial laced 20h...pricey like you want also. Reputation is there too...no need to worry about the hub falling apart.

OwenJames

by OwenJames

Cheers.

Right, i have been looking at the Extralite UltraFront SPM. It doesn't appear to be on the Extralite website. Does anyone know if this is discontinued? it is out of stock on Fairwheel. I have sent Extralite and Fairwheel messages about this, but wondered if anyone here knew...

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Extralite won't sell them to the public cause you have to partially disassemble them to lace them
If they are outa stock at Fairwheel they won't be for long and also try dulight.fr they might have em in stock

OwenJames

by OwenJames

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the reply.

Right, well Fairwheel refused to sell me a Tune MIG45 for the same reason, so I wonder if it likely they will do the same with Extralite hub?

@sugarkane Did you buy yours as a single hub, or did you get it built into a wheel for you? If you did build it yourself, did you have any issues taking it apart, or was it just a case of undoing the axle ends, then sliding the axle out until the wheel was built, then putting it back in?

kavitator

by kavitator

OwenJames wrote:Thanks for the recommendation. Bartime only offer one road front hub and it is not radial though...

I think you have in mind straight pull and not radial :D

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Hey both dulight and Fairwheel will sell you the hubs..
You can pull the axle by removing the adjuster and pushing the other side bearing out. You only need a little movement of the axle to lace up the hub.
If your any where near 85kgs like me I'd forget the dash hubs they are suitable for 60-70kg guys only and the ones that are a bit beefier are not sub 50g ;)
The SPM is light effective and to be honest much tougher than it should be. I like too set the preload adjusters with a little low grade loctight and if any play developes then you need to get on it right away and get the preload right. They can handle a little over tension too, which makes em nice and stiff.
C X-rays of course anything else would be a waste of time :D

OwenJames

by OwenJames

Hey

kavitator; ha, yes, you are correct. I meant straight pull, not radial.

Fairwheel will sell the Extralite, yes. They will not sell the Tune Mig 45 by itself however. If you have managed to get them to sell the Tune Mig45 to you by itself, I would like to know how you managed it!

sugarkane; I am assuming your instructions are referring to the Extralite hub. I have actually been in touch with Extralite direct, and they have shown me the instructions (although I am having trouble getting them to tell me the dimensions of the hub dimensions... do you have this info?)

And yeah, CX-Rays all the way!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

http://fairwheelbikes.com/extralite-ult ... -3905.html

The build specs for the hubs are on the Fairwheel web site, flange Di and flange to center are there