foul weather wheel build recommendations?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

and was told no '06 Eurus have entered the states yet?? sounds strange.

I doubt it but why not be the first and order a set?
They can be bought overhere for as little as Euro 480 a set......

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bladteth

by bladteth

Rich_W wrote:Oh yeah... must be comfortable... however they do not have to be weenie wheels.

I'm not sure what you see as comfortable, but you should know that vertical compliance of the wheel itself is hundredths of mm on paved road. Even if the difference between various wheels was 100%, this would be completetly obscured by tyres (and other bike parts, though to a lesser degree) deflection.

Anyway, I would stay clear of non-standard spokes.
Best regards,
Rado bladteth Rzeznicki

Pantani

by Pantani

Another vote for the Eurus - I also use them as my training wheels - super strong and much more comfortable than Kysiriums with infinitely better bearings. Might be worth looking for a pair of old stock black versions - which don't look Kysirium like at all.

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Decision made! pulled the trigger on a pair 06 Eurus/black

After overwhelming accolades from the folks I queried... seemed the decision was obvious.

should be here by end of week... and you guys know I'll be posting once in hand!

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

should be here by end of week... and you guys know I'll posting once in hand!

Congrats on your purchase, Rich.

Since there has been confusion on the exact weight of the 2006 Eurus before and Campa's datasheet isn't exactly clear about it, would you mind weighing your new set for us?

I have a feeling Campa's claimed weight refers to the nominal weight of the tubular version.
Worst case scenario is that they'd still weigh the same as the 2005s but you'd lose the weight of the now unnecessary rimtape..... :wink:

TIA, 8)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Erez_Pinarello

by Erez_Pinarello

Rich_W wrote:interesting enough... I called my buddy at our LBS. He checked with the local campy wheel supplier, and was told no '06 Eurus have entered the states yet?? sounds strange.

hmmm

wrong answer - a friend of mine returned from the USA - buying from Phil - R&A a brand new 06 campi Euros wheels.

hmai18

by hmai18

About me: 5'7", 130lb, so I'm not particularly hard on my equipment. Currently riding 7850 C24 clinchers as my everyday wheel, but with a wet fall and winter coming to Vancouver, I'd like to have a set of wheels for foul-weather riding.

I have an old pair of Reynolds Solitudes, but was involved in a collision when a car turned left in my path a few years back. They've been sitting in wheelbags ever since I got the C24s, so I suppose my first option would be taking the front wheel to a shop and seeing whether it's still safe to ride.

Second option: build up a new set. I have my eyes set on BHS SLF85 / SL210 laced with CX-Rays, but am undecided on rims. The budge-minded part of me thinks the Kinlin 270 would be ideal, but another part of me wants to jump on the wide rim bandwagon with Pacenti SL23s. I'm thinking about running Vittoria Paves on latex with these.

Thoughts or experiences with either combination?

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

I have no experience with those hubs so I can't speak for those. I have worked with those rims quite a bit though. I think the XR270 is a very average option for a rim. It's specs are nothing too impressive and the finish is very average. If I had to go Kinlin I think you'd be better off with the XC279. Basically is an XR270 but with a 23mm width.

With that said I think the SL23 is in a league of its own when compared to the Kinlins. The finish is much nicer and its a bit lighter. I think the only rim that can even come close to giving the SL23 a run for its money is the C2 from Hed.

ryker

by ryker

Another vote for the SL23. I've built quite a few and the quality is good. I have a set on one of my own bikes. It will be later this month before more supply arrives from the factory though.

bombertodd

by bombertodd

I just built a set of BHS hubs, sapim race, pacenti sl23 rims. Can't recommend them enough. I wasn't sold on the wide rims until I rode them. They feel better in the corners (confidence inspiring grip) and they seem to take the edge out of big bumps.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

For foul weather I'd probably just use the Kinlins on Shimano 105, or something. But admittedly that's not what you asked for -- I've just been turning to lower range equipment for having more bikes in total. Running 36h Open Pro on Ultegra for off season duty, with 27mm Pavés. Not the most nimble, but gets the miles done.

sawyer

by sawyer

At your weight I'd just go for a cheap set of Shimano clinchers.

RS20 or similar
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

hmai18

by hmai18

Yeah, I know the BHS/SL23 build isn't the most budget-friendly option; I sometimes have trouble committing to going with lower end parts.

bombertodd

by bombertodd

Switching the CX-rays to lasers will save some money too. Something to think about...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I've been my Pacenti's with Lasers and BHS hubs for a month now and very happy.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM