foul weather wheel build recommendations?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Oh yeah... must be comfortable... however they do not have to be weenie wheels. I'd rather turn a little weight while training.

> Eurus - not to sure how comfy... likely strong. The only problem I have with them is they look like Ksyrium "Me Too" wheels. But certainly a contender.

> Neutrons - had a pair of these, loved them, but they were wrecked in a crash, rebuilt, and sold.

> Built Wheels - there is a certian subtle coolness to a set of primo built wheels. But I was adding up the parts I would like, and after I buy 3 boxes of different length spokes... they come out just about the same cost as Neutrons?

I'm leaning towards a new set of Neutrons... just because they are just so super-reliable, classic looks, have incredible acceleration, and are just so comfy. Whenever I switched off from my carbon wheels to my neutrons... I would always say to myself...aaaahhhh.

Now, what does international coalition of weenies have to say?

SDP

by SDP

a nice pair of handuilt open pro CD( black ceramics ) on hub of your choice....

well bombproof :shock:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nexusheli

by nexusheli

Rich,

Believe it or not, I've never heard a bad thing about the comfort of the Eurus wheels. Having an in at a Campy distributor, I can tell you that more of those are sold than Neutrons. And you can get them in either black or silver, so they don't look that much like Ksyriums unless you get the silver.

Both sets really are bombproof and will last you a while, as you said, you had neutrons, they haven't changed much.

I feel a nice set of custom built wheels is best saved for when you want something special, a race wheel, a climbing wheel or something for special needs, like a tandem. Campy wheels really are just bombproof everyday riders.

tcr

by tcr

Considering its for training, perhaps you could look to cheaper options than those you've given? Ok Neutrons and Eurus' aren't top of the line wheels, but they are still very good for alu clinchers and not entirely necessary for training. I have my eyes on Mavic Aksyium (dunno how you spell it?) as a pretty decent wheel for training... looks bomb solid and you get the reliability of Mavic hubs, plus it is dirt cheap. Just something to consider :) ... I can't actually comment on their performance though.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Either Eurus or Neutron depending on use.
The Eurus would be the more comfortable of the two.

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Karbon

by Karbon

Rich_W wrote:Oh yeah... must be comfortable... however they do not have to be weenie wheels. I'd rather turn a little weight while training.

> Eurus - not to sure how comfy... likely strong. The only problem I have with them is they look like Ksyrium "Me Too" wheels. But certainly a contender.

> Neutrons - had a pair of these, loved them, but they were wrecked in a crash, rebuilt, and sold.

> Built Wheels - there is a certian subtle coolness to a set of primo built wheels. But I was adding up the parts I would like, and after I buy 3 boxes of different length spokes... they come out just about the same cost as Neutrons?

I'm leaning towards a new set of Neutrons... just because they are just so super-reliable, classic looks, have incredible acceleration, and are just so comfy. Whenever I switched off from my carbon wheels to my neutrons... I would always say to myself...aaaahhhh.

I'd go custom.

There are places that sell spokes in quantities of one rather than one box.

Why not talk to Bikemessenger?

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

While I agree that training wheels don't have to be the lightest, I think that they still need to be nice enough that you like to ride them so I'd do Open pro with King hubs. It may cost a little more in the beginning. But since the hubs will last 10+ years, you'll save money in the long run, plus you'll have some nice riding wheels.

pk0r

by pk0r

Rich, I would get the Neutrons.
First of all you have had a set and came to appreciate them, so there are no bad surprises to be expected there. Also they are very decent perfomers and like that make for a great bad weather/bad road race wheelset. Also I like their understated standard look more than the one of the Euros, Fulcrum etc.
I am having a set of Nucleons for over 45,000km on my training bike and they still hold up (so much to durability, but well they are good enough for Paris-Roubaix).
They are the best investment I ever made into any cycling component.
| works for an European bike manufacturer |
| "I respect the work in coloring parts but the result is stupid-monkey in silk clothes is still monkey." |

=4cranks

by =4cranks

You like the Neutrons. You like built wheels.
Do a combination of both.
Buy the Neutrons, have them "tuned" by a builder.
Equality for Cranks.

VVV

by VVV

Juanmoretime wrote:My Eurus are my daily trainers and I'm always very pleased whenever I put them back on a bike and ride them. Record bearings always roll great, pretty heavy rim takes whatever the road dishes out including potholes. In the three years I've owned them they have never had to see a true wrench. Great barking surface and they are on the lightest production clincher list although towards the bottom. The best part was they were only $560 U.S. shipped when I bought them compared to the price of Eurus now.

If you order from europe they aren't that much more. like 30-40 dollars more.

offthefront

by offthefront

Another vote for the Eurus. Not that I am hard on my equipment but they have been bulletproof for me. No regrets at all.

bike_dude

by bike_dude

While I agree that training wheels don't have to be the lightest, I think that they still need to be nice enough that you like to ride them so I'd do Open pro with King hubs.

Totally agree!
This is also what I'll be training on this season- Open pro ceramic laced (3x) to King hubs (32H) with DT competition spokes and brass nipples. Unbeatable!

andrew

by andrew

Why do you think some wheels are uncomfortable?

Rich_W wrote:Oh yeah... must be comfortable... however they do not have to be weenie wheels. I'd rather turn a little weight while training.

Erez_Pinarello

by Erez_Pinarello

campi chorus 32-32 cx-ray ambrosio excellence only 1655 gr for the pair !!!

super bombproof

not to light
not heavy
3Xcross lacing - super accurate
super lasting - can last you 3-4-5 seasons!!!

thats my choice - you can see the pictures and weights on sunday in the other entrance here - lightweight heavy trainning wheels!

Rich_W

by Rich_W

interesting enough... I called my buddy at our LBS. He checked with the local campy wheel supplier, and was told no '06 Eurus have entered the states yet?? sounds strange.

hmmm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com