Campagnolo hub hole counts

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Phill P

by Phill P

I'm thinking of building some new wheels - and LOVE Campagnolo hubs.
Unfortunately the Zonda/Racing 3s I love just aren't going to hold up on Shanghai roads under my current weight.

What are the lowest hole counts currently available in "conventional" Campagnolo cup and cone hubs?

Would Love to get hold of a Fulcrum racing light rear hub (24spoke 2:1) and a racing speed 35 front hub (18 spokes).
I would then need some strong/stiff rims but Shanghai is flat so can get some of the more aero/deep Al clinchers.
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Campy are almost out of the hub business.

The only choice today is record in 32H.

Campy have only ever made 28, 32 or 36H hubs for separate sale.

I'm sure others will come in with alternative hub suggestions.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Phill P

by Phill P

Yes its looked that way for some time now. You make more money out of selling wheels than hubs.

A shame as I really love their cup and cone hubs. Just they don't have something in their Al rim range with both more spokes, cup and cone bearings, and 2:1 rear.

An Al rim version of the racing light for the rear and something else on the front would be good.

Campy still have the neutron ultra, but not 2:1, and the fulcrum hubs look nicer too!

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

You don't say what your weight is.

Mine is in the 190# range, the roads and trails around here are quite crappy, and I have 2 sets of Neutrons which have been great. The hubs are identical internally to Campy's "oversize" hub. I rebuilt one set with bits from some old NOS Centaur hubs. (hint, front hubs work well as "donors" as bearings and cones are all the same).

Light, comfortable, and have held true very well.

The 2:1 spoking can only be done on the deeper rims, which are significantly lees comfortable. I had a set of G3 Zondas which I ended up selling because of the harsh ride.

Just my 2c.

One.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Fulcrum's Racing Quattro seems to be the answer.
You can even pop in some of your ceramic balls, Phill. :lol: Seriously, I mean you could upgrade them yourself to CULT level if you're so inclined.

http://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/collection/road/alu/products/racing-quattro

and I have 2 sets of Neutrons which have been great

Same here. The tubular version, bien entendu. :P

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Phill P

by Phill P

I'm a bit concerned that the Quattros with only 21 spokes in the rear won't be enough still - but that is the most likely direction I'll go. I same some 30mm Zondas that only lasted 10,000 before pulling spokes through the rim. Some racing lights in Al would be a better choice if they had an Al rim version.

Of course I'll put in some ceramic balls! I'm also trying to look into doing some hardened cups as well ;)

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Phill P wrote:I'm a bit concerned that the Quattros with only 21 spokes in the rear won't be enough still - but that is the most likely direction I'll go. I same some 30mm Zondas that only lasted 10,000 before pulling spokes through the rim. Some racing lights in Al would be a better choice if they had an Al rim version.

Of course I'll put in some ceramic balls! I'm also trying to look into doing some hardened cups as well ;)

Don't think you posted your weight yet, but 21 spoke rear is low even for a 100# woman.

If you want comfort, reliability, and easy repairability, then your original idea of 32 hole Campys with something like an Open Pro is hard to beat.

One.

Phill P

by Phill P

I haven't posted my weight because I'm not asking for advice on what set of wheels I should build.

I know what I want I just wanted to know if I can get it! 8)

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

The 2:1 spoking can only be done on the deeper rims

IMHO the problem with shallower rims is that you'll have a hard time finding a hub that a) come with sufficient spoke holes on the DS and b) can take radial lacing on the NDS.
G3 lacing ( a bit of 2:1 with a twist) is definitely a no go on shallow rims.

Standard Campa hubs aren't designed to take radial lacing so 2:1 lacing is out for these.
Leaves you with finding an existing (second hand ?) Fulcrum rear hub that would in essence be the alloy version of the Racing Light carbon wheel.
A bit like Campa's Neutrons being the alloy version of their CF hyperon wheels, right?

Basically any of either Campa's G3 rear hubs or (if it exists for sufficient # of spokes) a Fulcrum 2:1 rear hub could do the trick. A G3 hub should work as the only thing you'll be changing is the spoke angles on the DS.

Ciao, ;)

P.S. Of course you could always consider buying yourself a nice set of Racing Lights and fit a Campa hub should you want that.... :mrgreen: :lol:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

The 2:1 spoking can only be done on the deeper rims

IMHO the problem with shallower rims is that you'll have a hard time finding a hub that a) come with sufficient spoke holes on the DS and b) can take radial lacing on the NDS.
G3 lacing ( a bit of 2:1 with a twist) is definitely a no go on shallow rims.

Standard Campa hubs aren't designed to take radial lacing so 2:1 lacing is out for these.
Leaves you with finding an existing (second hand ?) Fulcrum rear hub that would in essence be the alloy version of the Racing Light carbon wheel.
A bit like Campa's Neutrons being the alloy version of their CF hyperon wheels, right?

Basically any of either Campa's G3 rear hubs or (if it exists for sufficient # of spokes) a Fulcrum 2:1 rear hub could do the trick. A G3 hub should work as the only thing you'll be changing is the spoke angles on the DS.

Ciao, ;)

P.S. Of course you could always consider buying yourself a nice set of Racing Lights and fit a Campa hub should you want that.... :mrgreen: :lol:

You are trying too hard. OP knows what he wants
I haven't posted my weight because I'm not asking for advice on what set of wheels I should build.

One.

Phill P

by Phill P

If anybody knows of some body who has crunched the rim on their racing lights and wants to sell me the still in working order hub I'd be interested!!
I'd then fit them to a new 24 rim like a Panceti

Same for a 20 hole or maaaybe 18 hole front wheelset that has a cup and cone hub still in working nic

I'm not going to build the bike and set of wheels for a number of weeks yet. Might get quattros or might just go 32/28 hole standard campy hubs 3x. Yeah completely different styles of wheels but I'm mostly interested in wheels with campy hubs.

Now here is a stupid question - are fulcrum hubs made in Italy or in Asia? Bribing a set of hubs out of a Chinese factory is always an option :P

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Pacenti rims are excellent. I have been riding my wheels that I built up from BHS parts now for a month and am very happy.

My belief is that all Fulcrum parts are made in Taiwan, but I don't have any insider knowledge, just what I've picked up over the years.

One.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

You can buy fulcrum hubs as spares. It is tempting. I have thought about it for lacing to a Archetype rim or similar.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Phill P

by Phill P

how do you get hubs as spares? Just go to a shop and convince them to order them?