TUNE carbon clinchers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

NealH

by NealH

I hate aluminum freehub bodies. I remember the dealer telling me not to worry, that they look like shit after some miles and its normal. Told me to buy Shimano if I wanted a hub that withstood the daily rigors of riding while looking like new. So that's what I did. Today my hubs look virtually perfect after thousands of miles. Shimano wheels of course.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

... yeah, but meanwhile I'm using aluminum freehub bodies on ALL of my bikes (including those 'ED' hubs that you can get off of BHS) and despite putting well over 10,000 miles on them there is not one single dig into the splines... they look perfect... and that's using a SRAM Red Cassette that would supposedly have even more of a bite into the freehubs. Nope. Nada.

Maybe the materials have changed since you last went to your dealer.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NealH

by NealH

There are quite a few iterations of aluminum so you could be correct. It could have just been the particular wheels that I had (older 240 hubs). But, if a more modern aluminum hub is as robust as you are saying, then it makes me wonder why Shimano hasn't moved in this direction to save money.

tharmor

by tharmor

Tinea Pedis wrote:
tharmor wrote:Well, you knew they were working on something when they called out enve for having "heavy" carbon clinchers a year ago. I'm interested to see what these are all about as well.

When was this?

Any link handy please?

About halfway thru the article ::

"This was funny to me: ENVE wheelsets are offered because they haven’t gotten their own road carbon clinchers where they want them…and I quote: “(ENVE’s rims) are very good, no problems with them, but they are heavy.”

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/09/04/tun ... nve-spank/

eric

by eric

The Bitex/BHS freehubs seem to be harder than some other aluminium freehubs (like Powertap which gouge if you look at them wrong). Mine are barely marked by the cogs.

Novatech and American Classic put steel pieces on the freehub to prevent gouging.

Some people have hammered staples flat and slid them between the cassette and freehub. I've only seen this on Tune hubs. There needs to be enough slop for the staples to fit.

Sram cassettes are a little easier on the freehub than Shimano since Shimano for some idiotic reason leaves off 1/3 of the splines on the larger solo cogs- the ones that gouge the worst. Sram's splines are shorter than they could be, and rounded off, but at least they're all there.

RM27

by RM27

Any info on the availability or a timeframe for these wheels? The weight and the clincher ease of use has my attention for sure. I read the Eurobike thread but didn't see much more info than already has been posted.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Bump. Wondering if FWB/Madcow has any idea of when the new Tune wheels will be available and what prices may look like.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

This information may not be exact, but it's the latest info I have.

Schwarzbrenner 25 and 42 clinchers are now available. Weights at 1178grams and 1398 grams. Priced at $2600 and $2900.

Airways and skyliner clinchers, 1185 grams and 965 grams. Price looks to be around $3700 (at todays exchange rate.) Won't be available until Spring 2014.

NYCPrynne

by NYCPrynne

Has anyone had any recent news about these wheels?

claus

by claus

Seems the wheels are at least available at one shop but only for Shimano?

http://www.hibike.com/shop/product/p44b ... pokes.html

Has someone tried these?