TUNE carbon clinchers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

NYCPrynne

by NYCPrynne

I am wondering if anyone has any insight into tune's upcoming carbon clincher wheelsets (see links)? They look too good to be true....I am especially curious to know if their brake track is up to snuff with the firecrests, enve's, and cosmic carbone 40C. I know that there will be people who downplay carbon clinchers, but I haven't the patience to deal with gluing tires onto tubular rims, not do I want to deal with flats while out on the road.

http://fairwheelbikes.com/c/forums/topic/tune-2014-wheelsets-sneak-peek/
http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/07/31/tune-offers-sneak-peek-at-new-line-of-carbon-road-wheels/

tharmor

by tharmor

Well, you knew they were working on something when they called out enve for having "heavy" carbon clinchers a year ago. I'm interested to see what these are all about as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

aftereffector

by aftereffector

It'll be interesting to see how they compare with the big boys. But I'm pretty sure there will be a weight limit and my 76 kgs will be too heavy for them anyways!

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Per the linked http://fairwheelbikes.com/c/forums/topic/tune-2014-wheelsets-sneak-peek/, rider weight limit is 90 or 110 kg, depending on the model.

aftereffector

by aftereffector

True - but that is the maximum weight limit. I wouldn't want to chance it. It's like the Fulcrum wheel FAQ says...

If you weigh over 109 kg/240 lbs we advise you not to use this product. Non compliance with this warning can damage the product irreversibly. If you weigh 82 kg/180 lbs or more, you must be especially vigilant and have your bicycle inspected more frequently (than someone weighing less than 82 kg/180 lbs).

In my mind, anything with a weight limit is best suited to people who don't ever have to worry about weight limits (i.e. in the 60-70 kg range).

tharmor

by tharmor

Which makes Enve's weight without a limit even more impressive!

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I don't believe Tune and Enve are targeting the same markets of customers. There may be some overlap, obviously, but Tune is targeting a much smaller market than Enve.

Enve and ZIPP design products that can end up on a full brand's OEM range. That means they need to have design specs for any possible type of person using their product in the intended method.

Tune has products for people who want to invest in the upgrade of their existing equipment or a custom build. That means they design their products for a particular range of person which they've found to be within their target market.

Different types of apples that we're comparing here.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

I'll see if they have them at Eurobike next week and post pics.
carbonLORD.com

NYCPrynne

by NYCPrynne

carbonLORD wrote:I'll see if they have them at Eurobike next week and post pics.

Thanks. That would be great. Any info, especially about the braking would be appreciated.

ipdamages

by ipdamages

Also any info on when these might be released/available. They seem too good to be true.

NYCPrynne

by NYCPrynne

.......so wondering if there is any other news about these wheels besides the following link which was posted in another thread?

http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-53430311.html

my french ability to read french is zero, and google translate did not show that the page said anything useful.

rico

by rico

They do seem a bit too good to be true. Not to wander too far OT, but are Tune rear hubs still using an alu cassette body? :?

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

tharmor wrote:Well, you knew they were working on something when they called out enve for having "heavy" carbon clinchers a year ago. I'm interested to see what these are all about as well.

When was this?

Any link handy please?

eric

by eric

rico wrote:are Tune rear hubs still using an alu cassette body? :?

Pretty much everyone uses an aluminium freehub body for their lighter performance hubs. Shimano DA and White Ind use titanium. But their rear hubs are in the 250g range while Tune's hub set weighs under 200g.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rico

by rico

Thanks. I have very bad memories of a DA 7800 cassette eating into my Tune rear hub within 50 miles.