Advice/opinions on tubulars for track use

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bmxbandit

by bmxbandit

Needs to meet the following criteria/conditions:
To be used exclusively indoors
Will only be used for pursuit and madison
To fit an 808 firecrest and super 9 disc
Needs to comply with uci/tack specific rules
Ideally looking for tubs that could be used for a season then removed and then re-glued for the following season if possible

So far we're looking at either a Conti Tempo or a Vittoria Pista Evo CL/CS, I'm assuming 22mm will best fit the rim width(rather than 19mm)

Opinions and advice would be welcome :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

I like the Continental Sonderklasse for that purpose. I also like Soyo, which are different, too.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Concrete or wood surface?

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

bmxbandit

by bmxbandit

Indoor only so on wood rather than concrete.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

In that case you could consider one of FMB or Dugast's full latex tubs.
If not, another vote for Conti's Sonderklasse from me.

Ciao, ;)

Geoff

by Geoff

Where are you that you get a wooden, indoor track? Not Burnaby? Our track is so rough I use a road tire :roll:

bmxbandit

by bmxbandit

@fdegrove I think those are all a little pricey given the expected use, though if the rider proves successful, more expensive rubber may be used in future seasons.

@Geoff we're in the UK so have the relative luxury of three fantastic tracks within a couple hours drive -Manchester, London and Newport.

Geoff

by Geoff

That is awesome. We have been trying to fund covering our track for years. It is 400m, so that is a bit of a big ask.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Conti Olympics or Dugast Pista Latex tubes (depending on whther you like orange or pink) would be some top end options, but they are UBER expensive and won't last long unless your track is very smooth

If your budget is more realistic it'll be Sonderklasse II's all the way
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Geoff wrote:That is awesome. We have been trying to fund covering our track for years. It is 400m, so that is a bit of a big ask.

The UK have been investing big time in cycling and sports in general over the past ten years. Pays off big time going by the results.

Best, ;)

Geoff

by Geoff

No guff. Unfortunately, in Canada it does not seem to be a priority. If it isn't played on ice, preferably with sticks, it doesn't get much traction here.

by 11.4

Yikes. You're going to have some reliability problems with some of these suggestions.

First, don't be a weight weenie on the track. Tire weight only counts in a couple events where you may only use the tire once or twice. But that doesn't mean I don't suggest using high quality tires.

My first recommendation would be a Veloflex Record. They are amazingly durable on the track, very supple, and simply don't go wrong. If you don't do this already, be sure to put the tire label on the left side because it can be a little more slippery on the banking and you don't want it up against the wood -- a big and instant lesson learned if you have the gel decals for advertisers that some wood tracks have. And I'll throw in that I've been trying out the new 22 mm Veloflex Record clinchers with Hed Belgium Black C2 rims, and those are freakin' amazing. Not that I don't prefer racing on tubulars, but all of a sudden I'm wondering why I always thought that. These are simply great tires for anyone below elite level.

My second recommendation is an upscale jump to the Vittoria Evo Pista. Those are on sale everywhere now so you can get screaming deals on them. This is the deal with Evo Pistas: There's no better tire for racing, bar none. It's just whether you kill them or not. Some people do -- just like some people have lots of road flats. If you don't, and if you stay off the track apron and don't go riding over raised plywood sheets on the infield or bounce over team compartment barrier footings, and if you watch for any cuts or other damage and repair them, you can get a season out of them and my god, they are fast. Don't warm up on a trainer with them, and don't use them extensively on rollers unless you have very smooth drums. Be prepared with spares (and I don't mean Tufo tape) and have fun with them.

Sonderclasses have changed and simply aren't the tires they used to be. Same for Stehers (which were amazing training tires until Conti changed them into Sprinters). I can't say too much for the newer ones.

Conti Olympics? Very narrow, very fragile, rather harsh ride, and the orange tread tends to tear very easily, especially on wood. It also picks up every little shard of wood that comes its way. And most of them that I've used are the tightest tires I've ever tried to mount. Evo Pistas are better.

Dugast and FMB track tires? Well, I really really want track tires to be straight and not have the little weirdnesses that we put up with in boutique road or cross tires. Unfortunately, I just find that both Dugasts and FMBs are pretty inconsistent in small things, but at 160 psi those little things get to be pretty obvious. Plus, there are amazing tires without having to go boutique. It's one thing to show off on the road with these tires, or to race them in cross because they really have cornered that market, but on the track? Nah. You can get better.

Road tubulars? Vittoria Evo Crono's seem to be Evo Pistas with black sidewall and an extra very light anti puncture strip under the tread. You lose a tiny bit of suppleness and add perhaps 10 grams per tire, but they solve the sometime-fragility problems with Evo Pistas. If you're racing weekly stuff all season and still want to be on a light high quality tire, they are superb. And they are a lot less expensive than Veloflex Records.

Conti tempos? Don't bother. Poor track tires and they are rarely an even diameter. There's better to be had. Vittoria Pista CS's? Junk tires. Don't bother.

As for all the other tubulars out there? Your basic Vittoria Evo Corsa is a solid track tire for most situations. As I said above, weight just isn't as big an issue. You want a tire that can handle a lot of abuse and that you can throw down a banking without a second thought.

The few basic warnings about tires? Only use black tires. Scrub them with vinegar and ride them on asphalt or buff them with a foam sanding pad to remove any mold release compound or waxes on them. Get your inflation right and deflate tires as soon as you're finished using them (at least get them below a hundred psi before you put them away). Always always check your tires before mounting your bike -- even a blowout in a fast paceline can be pretty bad for you and your fellow riders. And glue them properly -- don't ever even think about tape.

Geoff

by Geoff

Respectfully, I think you will still find either of the Conti Sonderklasse or Soyo good performers for general track use on a good surface like yours...

sawyer

by sawyer

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

Geoff wrote:That is awesome. We have been trying to fund covering our track for years. It is 400m, so that is a bit of a big ask.

The UK have been investing big time in cycling and sports in general over the past ten years. Pays off big time going by the results.

Best, ;)

Indeed. Another world class velodrome on it's way too - Glasgow.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Well there is promise in Canada with Milton & maybe Edmonton