Installing tracomp computer magnet on Mavic R-SYS SLR wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TdFTips

by TdFTips

Hi Forum

I just received a set of Mavic R-SYS SLR with my new Canyon. I'm trying to get the bike set up, but I can't for the life of me find step-by-step instructions to install the special bike computer magnet designed to fit the tracomp carbon spokes. I have a Garmin Edge 800, so the magnet needs to be on the rear wheel.

Has anyone had to install them? It looks like you have to completely pull the hub and spokes apart to slide the spoke through the magnet. Have I got that right?

I don't suppose anyone has stumbled across a YouTube video or blog post with installation instructions? The Mavic instructions are a little too basic (for me...)

Thanks

P.S. Here's a picture of the magnet:
http://www.mavic.com/en/product/wheels/ ... eel-Magnet

P.P.S. And here's Mavic's instructions:
http://www.mavic.com/sites/default/file ... 3%20LR.pdf

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Here's a pic of one fitted

TdFTips

by TdFTips

5 8 5 wrote:Here's a pic of one fitted

Hi 585 - thanks for the picture. But I'm after a steer on how to install the magnet properly (and without damaging the carbon spokes or rear hub).

Cheers

TdFTips

by TdFTips

Hi again 585 - taking a closer look at that picture... did you just push the plastic magnet clips onto the spoke? Or did you have to thread the spoke through the plastic clip?

I've tried pushing those plastic (place holding) clips to the spoke, but it won't clip on with the amount of force I've applied. If I push much harder, I'm worried I'll break the spoke.

Cheers

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Soz, it's not my pic :oops:

It looks like the magnet halves are locked together around the spoke and the plastic parts are retainers to stop the magnet sliding down the spoke.

I would assume you pull the plastic retainer apart so it passes the spoke or even just push it on so it "clips" in place?

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

i'm sorry for asking a "silly" question, but why would you use a magnet, if you Garmin can pick up your speed by GPS? i haven't run a magnet on my wheels for years (Garmin 500 and now an 810), and my speeds are pretty accurate.

TdFTips

by TdFTips

FIJIGabe wrote:i'm sorry for asking a "silly" question, but why would you use a magnet, if you Garmin can pick up your speed by GPS? i haven't run a magnet on my wheels for years (Garmin 500 and now an 810), and my speeds are pretty accurate.

Yeah - it's just an accuracy thing. But if installing this damned magnet proves too complicated, then I'll forget about it and go without.

sungod

by sungod

get a pack of small rare-earth magnets on ebay (i use 5x5x2mm, but any similar size will do), you can get a pack of 20 for under 5£/$/€ including postage

attach one to the spoke with insulating tape or epoxy or gel superglue

it'll be smaller, lighter, less obtrusive, and you'll still have 19 magnets to do something else with

TdFTips

by TdFTips

sungod wrote:get a pack of small rare-earth magnets on ebay (i use 5x5x2mm, but any similar size will do), you can get a pack of 20 for under 5£/$/€ including postage

attach one to the spoke with insulating tape or epoxy or gel superglue

it'll be smaller, lighter, less obtrusive, and you'll still have 19 magnets to do something else with

Hi sungod

Thanks for your tip. I think this might be a good way to proceed. Are the rare-earth magnets that much better than the magnet included from Mavic? What's the benefit? Otherwise, I'm inclined just to superglue the Mavic magnet to the spoke and see how I go.

Cheers

sungod

by sungod

the only advantage is the small size of the rare earth ones

aside from that, a magnet is a magnet, as long as it triggers the sensor it does the job

TdFTips

by TdFTips

sungod wrote:the only advantage is the small size of the rare earth ones

aside from that, a magnet is a magnet, as long as it triggers the sensor it does the job

Thanks. *Mixing up the epoxy now...* :thumbup:

ross

by ross

TdFTips wrote:

Hi again 585 - taking a closer look at that picture... did you just push the plastic magnet clips onto the spoke? Or did you have to thread the spoke through the plastic clip?

I've tried pushing those plastic (place holding) clips to the spoke, but it won't clip on with the amount of force I've applied. If I push much harder, I'm worried I'll break the spoke.

Cheers

The plastic clips pop onto the spoke, but you need to slide the clips down on to each end of the 2 magnets. Do not try and force the clips over the magnets themselves, they are only meant to just cover them

TdFTips

by TdFTips

ross wrote:
The plastic clips pop onto the spoke, but you need to slide the clips down on to each end of the 2 magnets. Do not try and force the clips over the magnets themselves, they are only meant to just cover them

Hi Ross - thanks. After all the to-ing and fro-ing, I gave the damn things a *very* firm press and they snapped on. I dunno if I got some extra tight ones, but they certainly didn't feel like they wanted to click on to the spoke - I thought I was going to snap a spoke (or a finger) getting the buggers on.

But they're on...finally. I'll try to upload a photo to prove it :D

Thanks everyone here for the tips.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com