Rotor chain rub with noQ rings.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TlM

by TlM

Hi weenies,

I just installed a 3d+ rotor crank on my bbright bike.
I use a 53 aero noQ chainring as outer and a non aero noQ 39 chainring on the inside.

I first installed the 39 with the bolts falling inside the cutouts on the 39 ring.
I got horrible chain rub with the inside of the 53 chainring, with the chain on the 53, it rubs aginst the inside of the 39.
Ofcourse this only happened with not straight chain line.

When i turned the 39 chainring around with the bolts NOT falling in the cutouts, all problems seemed gone.

Is this normal?

I couldnt find any documentation about installing the noQ rings on the web or at the rotor website.
Carboner

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Its a known issue. Recent shimano chainrings (7900 onwards) have wider spacing. I've used problem solvers chainring spacers (1.2 mm) to eliminate this. Just adjust your FD stops accordingly.

TlM

by TlM

Ok good to know, strange thing was that the 39-27 straight chainline was really noisy.
I'll just keep the ring reversed.
Carboner

rmerka

by rmerka

goodboyr wrote:Its a known issue. Recent shimano chainrings (7900 onwards) have wider spacing. I've used problem solvers chainring spacers (1.2 mm) to eliminate this. Just adjust your FD stops accordingly.

goodboyr, can you elaborate on how you're spacing your rings. I recently switched to q-rings from my praxis works rings and there is a definite difference in the thickness of the rings or at least how they are spaced on the same spider. Did you have to use longer chainring bolts? While the shifting and where the FD stops are now with the q-rings, it's pretty much at the limit. It's definitely livable but I feel it could be much better with some better spacing. Thanks

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I don't have any experience with the q rings. I was answering the question for conventional non shimano rings such as "no q" rings and praxis rings. In those cases its simply a case of adding a spacer (0.6 or 1.0 mm thick) to the inside of the large ring (mating surface to crank spider) and using the existing bolts.