Potential First Wheel Build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

I wouldn't use Veloplugs because of the shape of the inner surface. Two layers of Stans would be best.

I never have problems with radial NDS lacing, and you would get slightly higher NDS tension that way. Another thing you can do that would help is use heavier DS spokes like DT Aero Comps.
formerly rruff...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

After trashing a rear wheel on the weekend, I decided on a new build with Pacentis'.

I'm in the 190# range. These will be 20/28, radial front/2X both on rear, brass nipples.

SL 79 and SL 210 hubs. Calculated weight for the set is 1,440g. Could have been a bit lighter with alloy nips and a 24 spoke rear, but went conservative.

Ordered from BHS last night. Nice to do business with.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

MNX1024

by MNX1024

WMW wrote:I wouldn't use Veloplugs because of the shape of the inner surface. Two layers of Stans would be best.

The Veloplugs aren't really permanent. Only there for the first two weeks or so because it's my first wheel build and if anything happens I have easy access to nipples. Going to use velox rim tapes once everything is done and settled in.

WMW wrote:I never have problems with radial NDS lacing, and you would get slightly higher NDS tension that way. Another thing you can do that would help is use heavier DS spokes like DT Aero Comps.

Really? I've been getting mix opinion/advice on that. Some even said that I need to up the tension on the DS just to get the NDS up to the recommended 70kg/f, which would end up being too high of a tension on the DS. Was also told that by going 2x NDS will get it to a higher tension than radial. Not sure how true is that though. Now I'm really unsure of if I want to do radial/2XDS or just 2x both ways.

bikerjulio wrote:After trashing a rear wheel on the weekend, I decided on a new build with Pacentis'.

I'm in the 190# range. These will be 20/28, radial front/2X both on rear, brass nipples.

SL 79 and SL 210 hubs. Calculated weight for the set is 1,440g. Could have been a bit lighter with alloy nips and a 24 spoke rear, but went conservative.

Ordered from BHS last night. Nice to do business with.

Looks like we'll have two Pacenti builds real soon here. All my parts should come in by tomorrow and going to start building on Saturday. If I get to finish to build, I'll be able to take my very first hand built(by me) wheel set on my 90 mile ride this Sunday.
If you don't mind, care to share how you trashed your rear wheel?

ryker

by ryker

Better off with Stan's versus Velox on this rim. Agree with WMW.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

MNX1024 wrote:Really? I've been getting mix opinion/advice on that. Some even said that I need to up the tension on the DS just to get the NDS up to the recommended 70kg/f, which would end up being too high of a tension on the DS. Was also told that by going 2x NDS will get it to a higher tension than radial. Not sure how true is that though. Now I'm really unsure of if I want to do radial/2XDS or just 2x both ways.

70kg on the DS would be nice, but that rarely happens on any wheels I've built. You'd need >160kg on the DS, and that is just silly. Go with 130kg DS, and dish it slightly to the NDS. Mounting a tire will reduce the tension a bit.

And radial heads out will reduce the effective NDS offset and result in higher tension. The reason for using heavier DS spokes is to make them "do more of the work" when there are high radial loads.
formerly rruff...

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

If you don't mind, care to share how you trashed your rear wheel?

My riding buddy took me on a ride that involved a steep descent with a bridge at the bottom. I went full speed and did not see a raised lip at the edge of the bridge. Cracked the rear Zipp 303. Went on with the ride as it seemed rideable with occasional cracking noises from the wheel, and then going up Rattlesnake Road (said to the be steepest hill in Ontario), a DS spoke let go under the strain of my immense power. Just before the top, so I did the last bit with the wheel rubbing against the brake and frame. End of ride. Also end of my involvement with Carbon rims and tubular tires. The only kind of luck I have with them is bad.

One.

PerezTurner

by PerezTurner

I am finding a better solution to solve to go under 1300g for the wheel set or at least no higher than 1350g.
How to find it with best possible trick?

Click here
Last edited by PerezTurner on Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

PerezTurner wrote:I am finding a better solution to solve to go under 1300g for the wheelset or at least no higher than 1350g.

Just look at the BHS site and pick from the menu. No problem to go under 1300 as long as you are reasonably light weight yourself.

One.

MNX1024

by MNX1024

PerezTurner wrote:I am finding a better solution to solve to go under 1300g for the wheelset or at least no higher than 1350g.

This is exactly what I'm aiming for with my current build. Based on some basic preliminary calculation, I should definitely be under 1350g, possibly in the low 1300's. Using the UL66 and UL190 from BHS.

Mackers

by Mackers

~1400g more likely.

900g rims, 255g hubs, 245g spokes, 14g nipples...

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Mackers wrote:~1400g more likely.

900g rims, 255g hubs, 245g spokes, 14g nipples...

if just building for weight, then just looking at BHS parts:

766g rims, 256g hubs, 198g spokes, 26g nipples (still brass on rear) = 1,246

is quite doable if the rider is reasonably light too

One.

Mackers

by Mackers

I was replying to the post right before mine, about the build with the Pacentis.

MNX1024

by MNX1024

Alright guys, here's a status update. My rims and hubs came in, there's a delay in spokes, they should be here before the weekend.

Time for the weights!!!!!!
Also would like to apologize beforehand for the crappy pictures. Too annoyed from balancing my rims to bother with taking my DSLR out.

UL66

UL190

Pacenti SL23

MNX1024

by MNX1024

Spokes came in.

based on preliminary calculation, wheel should come in about 1370g. A bit higher than what I wanted, but still tolerable for what it offers. :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

My Pacentis' are now built and ridden. My rims were 455 and 458g. Hubs were SL 79 and SL 210. Spokes were Lazers.

Laced 20 radial front and 28 2X rear with brass nipples.

Final weights were 642g and 822g for a total of 1,464g for a pretty solid wheelset.

Rims look strong and built up easily. Braking is good. Wheels seem stiff.

Tires are 25mm PR$'s which measure 27mm on these rims. Clearance was OK but pretty close on my BMC but I'd think some frames would not accommodate these. As others have said, the tires were pretty hard to get on. 2 levers were needed.

Still playing with pressures, but was at about 70 and 80 psi today.

One.