Tubeless Road Rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JBV

by JBV

OK, so only one person answered the question. So then for everyone who recommends setting up non-tubeless-specific rims tubeless, do you have a list of rims that are known to work? FIJIGabe mentions 2, but again, I'm interested mainly in aftermarket rims, not complete wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Almost any clincher rim will work. The ones to stay away from are non-annodized rim surfaces, but even that depends on what sealant you run. Personally, I wouldn't trust Mavic rims, or any of the Shimano rims that aren't listed as "tubeless", because they use raw aluminum, that is suceptible to corrosion. My friend ran a set of DA 7800 rims with Stans in them, and eventually, he couldn't get the tire to seal due to the corrosion inside the rim.

My recommendation is to find a light rim of your choice, and begin the setup process.

vinceflynow

by vinceflynow

I've used the following clincher rims successfully with Stan's yellow tape and tubeless tires:

Kinlin XR19W
Kinlin 270
Enve SES 3.4 (25mm tape instead of 21mm tape)
Enve 65
Stans ZTR Alpha 340
Farsports 50cm (old version, not the wide version)

Some rims were harder to inflate and seat the tubeless tire. The Enve 65 were the toughest to inflate and seat. I ended up using CO2 to get the tubeless tires on the Enve 65.

F45

by F45

For un-anodized rims, I use the "ghetto" approach, and it works well. I'm rolling on Aksiums on my commuter bike tubeless and some Alex random stuff on my CX bike with no problems. "Ghetto" is where you stretch an undersized tube around the rim and then slice off the excess. It creates a barrier so no sealant touches the rim.

pushstart

by pushstart

I tried Gorilla tape on MTB rims awhile back. I tried to pull it tight like the Stans stuff and it just snaps. Maybe getting it tight isn't so important, but given that it is also much heavier, I will just pay the $11 for Stans which I known works perfectly and doesn't have to be cut down to size.

+1 for running any rim tubeless. The H+ Son Archetype is a nice option given the anodized black sidewalls. Much cheaper than the SL23, but not much heavier. Also welded. Beautiful rims. I have had great luck with Kinlin rims tubeless too. I don't think road tubeless is all that great (didn't flat less and the ride on Hutchinson Fusions wasn't as good as a GP4000s), but i will say that road tubeless is much easier to setup than mtb. The only rims that have given me any trouble are full carbon rims which were very loose. I look forward to trying better tires in the future and changing my mind. I really wanted to be converted.

JBV

by JBV

Thanks all for the specific suggestions.

pushstart - All Hutchy road tires ride like crap. Try a Bontrager R3 or R2 tubeless, Schwalbe Ultremo ZX tubeless, or Specialized Roubaix tubeless.

pushstart

by pushstart

JBV wrote:pushstart - All Hutchy road tires ride like crap. Try a Bontrager R3 or R2 tubeless, Schwalbe Ultremo ZX tubeless, or Specialized Roubaix tubeless.

Yeah, I suspect you are right. I will reserve final judgement on (road) tubeless value until I have a chance to try those. I have hears great things about the Bonty R3.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

JBV wrote:Thanks all for the specific suggestions.

pushstart - All Hutchy road tires ride like crap. Try a Bontrager R3 or R2 tubeless, Schwalbe Ultremo ZX tubeless, or Specialized Roubaix tubeless.

Agreed. I used to ride Hutchys and I never had any complaints. I didn't realize how harsh they were until I switched to Bonty tubeless. They seem to be a bit more supple than the Hutchys and hopefully they'll be as durable.

ryker

by ryker

Good experiences with the Pacenti SL23 and Stan's Alpha 400. The right choice depends on you and your riding. I've killed a couple of Schwalbe Ultremo ZX tires this season. They feel fragile to me but the ride is nice.

gospastic

by gospastic

Has anyone tried converting the H+Son Archetype to tubeless with CX tires?

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

@gospastic- I've set the Archetypes up tubeless for road but not for cross. Which tires were you thinking of running? Also what tubeless interface were you thinking of?

gospastic

by gospastic

I'm not really sure. It would be my first venture into the world of tubeless. Any recommendations?

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

I've heard good things about the MIchelin Mud 2 all though I have no direct experience with it. For the tubeless interface though I'd just go Gorilla Tape with Stans stems/valves.

pushstart

by pushstart

I have used the Archetypes tubeless (also road). I imagine they will be fine for cx, but I have found that those lower pressures tend to be more finicky about the tire-rim interface. I would stick with Stans tape personally unless you need to build it up for seating, but if you're running cx pressures, then sounds like 1 layer would be enough.

I have only ridden a few cross tires, but I am currently very happy with the Kenda Kommando SCT tires. Good weight and have survived a lot of singletrack riding without flatting yet (knock on wood). My cx wheelset is Stans Crest, though; I imagine the extra width helps. My buddy ran mud 2 tires and had many, many flats on the same trails. But that might just have been him.

I also recommend against the Hutchinson Piranhas.

cpparkcity

by cpparkcity

vinceflynow wrote:I've used the following clincher rims successfully with Stan's yellow tape and tubeless tires:

Kinlin XR19W
Kinlin 270
Enve SES 3.4 (25mm tape instead of 21mm tape)
Enve 65
Stans ZTR Alpha 340
Farsports 50cm (old version, not the wide version)

Some rims were harder to inflate and seat the tubeless tire. The Enve 65 were the toughest to inflate and seat. I ended up using CO2 to get the tubeless tires on the Enve 65.

Looking to pick us a set of Enve 3.4 and would like to set up tubeless I would like to here the results. What tires and valves are you using?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com