Tubeless Road Rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JBV

by JBV

Is anyone aware of more tubeless road rims (not complete wheels, just rims) than the Velocity A23 and the Stan's products? Anyone have a complete list?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Most clincher rims can be converted to tubeless. I have personally run my Reynolds DV3K's and 2010 Bontrager RXL's (non-TLR) using Stan's base tape to seal off the nipples. Neither of those wheels are listed as being "tubeless" or tubeless compatible.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

^ this.....you'll have many, many more options if you don't limit yourself to off-the-shelf tubeless offerings.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

heck, even with Stans, you have to use their tape!

One thing i forgot to mention is that although most clinchers can be converted, not all clinchers can run sealant (at least Stan's). Shimano, for one, recommends that you not run sealant. This is because the old-school (Stan's) sealants use ammonia in their blend, which will corrode the non-anodized aluminum rims. Three solutions: get a CF wheel (no issue with corroded aluminum), use an annodized aluminum wheel or run a sealant that doesn't use ammonia (Caffelatex comes to mind).

personally, i run options 1 & 2, and have a home-brew sealant i've started using. so far, so good on that front.

grover

by grover

Pacenti SL23 - http://fairwheelbikes.com/pacenti-sl23-rim-p-5634.html
or the new HED Belgium rim.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

As mentioned almost any rim can be setup tubeless. Id throw in a second vote for the SL23 though. That is a stiff hoop that is light for its profile.

Regarding which method, go with Gorilla tape. It's much more durable than Stans tape and it can be cut to fit the exact inside width of the rim. Just make sure you do one layer that overlaps at the valve hole.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Gorilla tape? Do tell.....is it lighter than Stan's?

eurperg

by eurperg

Gorilla tape is heavier

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

However, Stan's recommends you wrap the rim twice.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

@btompkins- It is a bit heavier than Stans, but I think the abrasion resistance and durability make it well worth it. That and the fact that it's easy to customize the perfect width for your rim makes it superior to the Stans tape.

Oh and the best part is that it's available at any local hardware store.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Have you weighed it?

It works, but I suspect it is very heavy. Stan's is very light even with two layers.
formerly rruff...

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

I haven't weighed it but I will in the next couple of days. I'm going to redo the tubeless setup on my mountain bike and when I do I'll definitely weigh the Gorilla tape that's on there.

typ993

by typ993

Effetto Mariposa also makes a fiber-reinforced rim tape that they claim only needs one layer. Not sure how the weight compares to Stan's or Gorilla, though.

Wookieopolis

by Wookieopolis

People love to use Gorilla tape for all the wrong purposes, then again, I'm not sure what the right purpose would ever be. Keep in mind that it almost invariably leaves residue, particularly on anything that gets warm, like say a rim in the sun.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

typ993 wrote:Effetto Mariposa also makes a fiber-reinforced rim tape that they claim only needs one layer. Not sure how the weight compares to Stan's or Gorilla, though.

Would something like this work? 3M's 899 tape.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-3M-Scotch-F ... 0733339996

The 894 might also work. But it's black, so you don't get the extra watts that you do with red. :wink:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.