Super Specific Carbon Clincher Spec

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Craigagogo

by Craigagogo

Does anybody have any links to a retailer that can meet my list of specifications?
The list below is mostly set except for the spoke and hub manufacturer, the spokes must be straight pull.

1. All Carbon Clincher rim construction
2. The new "U" shaped aero-dynamic rim profile with a 23 to 24.6 mm rim width (at the brake track) with basalt brake track construction.
3. One Wheel set 38 mm, next set 50 mm and the last set 50 mm + 60 mm rim depths.
4. Powerway R 36 straight pull spoke carbon hubs - 20 h front, 24 h rear.
5. Sapin CX-Ray spokes
6. Of course the wheels cannot be anchors so < than 1325 g for the 38's; < 1350 g for the 50's and < than 1500 g for the combo set.
7. Price range from approximately $575 for the 38's to less than $680 for the 50+60 combo (US $).

I have found that the usual list of retailers (Farsport, iPlay Light-Bicycle) have to make substitutions.
I would have thought this spec to be very popular and I am surprised at the difficulties I am having sourcing these wheel sets :noidea:

Any help would be much appreciated (even if you blast me to search then helpfully link me to a certain section of a 45 page thread :wink: )
More than 10 years a Weenie!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

I think you're finding it difficult because those hubs are not that popular.

If you really want them instead of Edhub/Bitex or Novatec, get the rims from FarSport, hubs and spokes from BHS and lace them yourself or have your wheel builder do it.

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

Why insist on straight pull? It vastly reduces serviceability which is one of the advantages of choosing your own components.

Craigagogo

by Craigagogo

Spokes tend to break at the J bend - straight pull no bend so hopefully less service required. In this modern day its pretty easy to source speciality spokes on the interwebs.

As Eric said I may end up building them myself.

Craigagogo

by Craigagogo

eric wrote:I think you're finding it difficult because those hubs are not that popular.

If you really want them instead of Edhub/Bitex or Novatec, get the rims from FarSport, hubs and spokes from BHS and lace them yourself or have your wheel builder do it.

It's actually difficult to get 23 mm wide rims with the U shaped profile with basalt, my go to was going to be Farsports but they said that the only profile I can get in the 23 mm is V shaped.

The craze is all larger than 25 mm now but I am not willing to sacrifice aerodynamic efficiency along with the added penalty of all that extra weight.

austinla

by austinla

[quote=...my go to was going to be Farsports but they said that the only profile I can get in the 23 mm is V shaped.

The craze is all larger than 25 mm now but I am not willing to sacrifice aerodynamic efficiency along with the added penalty of all that extra weight.[/quote]

I had a convo recently about this so I apologize for over sharing.

I have the 38mm 25 width Farsports. Actual weight with vela plugs on the Ed's hubs (non-ceramic, 2x1) equipped setup is 1386g, for $685 to my doorstep in 5 days. I spent another $20 on "re-tensioning" after 50 miles. I believe they are/were doing a 5% off promo until Christmas on the wheel price, which would bring the shipped price down to the $650 range, but I might be wrong on that one.. Your max width "requirement" is 24.6 and that keeps you from going with the "25mm" width wheels... why? 0.4mm is about as thin as a fingernail. A U-shaped NARROW wheel for weight savings is understandable, but 1386g actual weight is probably on par with many "claimed" sub-1300g wheels out there that weigh much more than advertised (HED, American Classic, Shimano). I ordered AC Tubeless Road last winter with a claimed weight of 1190g, and the weigh 1276, so I returned them and bought HED Ardennes high end model with a 1300g claimed weight, and they weighed over 1400 grams. Returned again. I bought a pair of tubeless Dura Ace C24's, claimed 1560g, and they were right at 1600g (I'm trying hard to remember actual claimed/etc.). My point is that Farsports setup that I purchased is a relative bargain and a realistic ultra-light wheel considering the market.

Farsports offer a straight pull front hub, though I am not familiar with it at all. Not sure the last time a Sapim CX-Ray broke at the J-bend, though... if you're in rough enough conditions, or weigh enough, the full carbon ultra-low budget hoops are probably not a good idea to begin with. I know the people who have been riding for 20+ years discuss broken spokes often enough that maybe I need to learn my lesson (I'm about 7 years in) or maybe the build quality is so good these days that it is a moot point. My spokes are my LEAST concern.

As mentioned, if you're adamant, probably best to order the hoops and have them built up to spec, whichever way you desire.

For the record, the "25mm" Farsports that I have are U-shaped, are 23.5mm at the brake track, have an internal width of 18mm, and have basalt PLUS the high-temp coating. They are incredible wheels, despite the price. I seriously doubt I would know the difference on a pair of Zipp 202's. The bike shop thought they were ENVE's when I brought them in to check spoke tension. They sell ENVE's, so it wasn't out of pure ignorance.
One more note- Basalt is an "older" technology that has a lower heat threshold than what they call "high-temp coating", and having the two combined is a solid choice.

Craigagogo

by Craigagogo

Thanks Austinla for your input.

That's interesting that the FS 25 mm wide rims are actually only 23.5 at the brake track - they must bulge out some. By chance do you happen to have a cross section of this rim and if so could you post it? I could probably live with dat as I am imagining the tyre and rim profile would be less brick like (think school bus vs Ferrari) as opposed to a 21mm rim and 23 mm tyre or the other way 26-28 mm rim and 23 mm tyre. But that's just nuts I guess, who would do that?

BTW I was in contact with FS and they do build wheels with the Powerway R36's, so that gets a check mark!

I still own, I think, the 2nd gen FS 50 mm CC (one of the first offering with basalt) and they held up well until about the 12,000 km mark and the rear wheel broke two of the Sapin spokes during a ride. I rebuilt the wheel and have put another 4 k on it. Solid rims for sure. The weight was as advertised - less than 1350 for the set.

I feel I am getting closer to my wheel build goals here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com