More information about the Alchemy UL rear hub.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

ergott wrote:I bet Shimano 9000 is really good as well, but haven't measured/built one yet.

Not so good... roughly: Left Center To Flange: 36.5mm Right Center To Flange: 16.5mm
formerly rruff...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

KLabs wrote:Hi Zen Cyclery, specs look very good ... Can the 11spd hub be laced heads-in without issue.

I would suggest 1x on the DS if you plan on using <11spd, but not radial... unless we hear from Jeremy that he doesn't approve it.

Actually, since he is making 10spd versions of the Orc UL, I don't see the point at all...
formerly rruff...

KLabs

by KLabs

Zen Cyclery wrote:@KLabs- I'm not really sure I can answer your question. I didn't get any paperwork from Alchemy saying NOT to lace heads in, so I think it would be doable. I don't really see why its necessary though. This hub already builds up so rigid as is, even with heads out on the NDS.
Here are the specs for this hub: RF = 57.0, LF = 40.0, CR = 18.0, CL = 38.8

WMW wrote:Not so good... roughly: Left Center To Flange: 36.5mm Right Center To Flange: 16.5mm

Hi WMW, acording to Zen Cyclery DS CTF = 18.0 and NDS CTF = 38.8 which means the FTF = 56.8mm ... is this the 10spd version :?:

WMW, is DS CTF = 16.5, NDS CTF = 36.5, FTF = 53.0mm, which you have posted, the 11spd version :?:

thanks KL :)

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

DA9000 only comes in 11spd. The numbers for Alchemy are 11spd. The 10spd Orc UL is probably shifted ~1.8mm to the right.
formerly rruff...

FuelForThought

by FuelForThought

KLabs wrote:Bartime RS200 ...

Never heard of these hubs. They do seem well designed. Anyone have experience with them?

kavitator

by kavitator

BARTIME are new stuff - more news we will get in a month or two.

ergott

by ergott

WMW wrote:
ergott wrote:I bet Shimano 9000 is really good as well, but haven't measured/built one yet.

Not so good... roughly: Left Center To Flange: 36.5mm Right Center To Flange: 16.5mm

Wow. Surprised considering 10 speed (7850) was 18.8. By their own standard, they could have used 17mm to be consistent.

ergott

by ergott

KLabs wrote:Hi ergott, here are a couple ...
Bartime RS200 ... http://www.bartimecycling.com/product-Hubs-RS200.php
Novatec F482SB-11 ... http://www.bdopcycling.com/Hubs-Road.asp

Although DS CTF = 17mm is ok, providing the FTF spacing is good (Campag seems to be a good example). What is the FTF spacing of the Alchemy UL rear hub ...
Can the 11spd hub be laced heads-in without issue ...

FTF = Flange to Flange? UL is 56.5mm same as previous generation.

10 speed is 19.6mm
11 speed is 18mm

Are the hub you linked measuring to the center of the flange? I've been disappointed before when hub companies measure center to the outside of the flange to make their hub sound better than it is. Have those measurements been confirmed? I'm willing to bet Novatec is measuring to outside because they state Shimano 10 is 19mm. If they are measuring to outside, you have to subtract about 1.6mm to account for half the flange width. Not sure about Bartime. I hve my doubts that they are indeed 18mm center to center of flange.

KLabs

by KLabs

ergott wrote:FTF = Flange to Flange? UL is 56.5mm same as previous generation.
10 speed is 19.6mm
11 speed is 18mm

Are the hub you linked measuring to the center of the flange? I've been disappointed before when hub companies measure center to the outside of the flange to make their hub sound better than it is. Have those measurements been confirmed? I'm willing to bet Novatec is measuring to outside because they state Shimano 10 is 19mm. If they are measuring to outside, you have to subtract about 1.6mm to account for half the flange width. Not sure about Bartime. I hve my doubts that they are indeed 18mm center to center of flange.

Hi ergott, yes sorry, I went back and reread WMW's post and realized I had misread it. WMW was referring to DA9000 ...

UL 11spd FTF = 56.5mm is excellent, as is DS CTF = 18mm ... a very well done to Alchemy, that is excellent ... what lacing patterns would you use with this hub

Regarding Novatec, I am not sure, good question. Perhaps BobDopolina can measure one for us ... BobDopolina is that possible :)

Regarding Bartime, looking at their literature the RS200 11spd approach looks like the DS CTF will be 2mm less than the 10spd version. The 10spd DS CTF =19mm so that would mean that the 11spd DS CTF =17mm ...
Hmm, not as good, but still good for my 24H 303 Lacing which improves the DS Bracing Angle by about the equivalent of 2mm or so, and not forgetting the torque drive improvement (3x) the 303 Lacing provides :)
Perhaps kavitator can measure one for us ... kavitator is that possible ... :)

kavitator

by kavitator

is possible- but i wait on new hub- Will measure and report. :)

kavitator

by kavitator

is possible- but i wait on new hub- Will measure and report. :)

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

ergott wrote:Wow. Surprised considering 10 speed (7850) was 18.8. By their own standard, they could have used 17mm to be consistent.

I didn't actually measure that... it was posted by another forum member.
formerly rruff...

jcumpstay

by jcumpstay

Love reading more about the new UL hub. Very excited about receiving my new wheelset built on the ORC-UL / ELF combo in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for the detailed write up Ergott :-)

JN2Wheels

by JN2Wheels

This hub is being praised no end for engineering ingenuity. I haven't seen it, or built with it. No doubt it is awesome, as Jeremy has proven his mettle at this point!

However, I would like to know how the hub shell innovation on the freehub side differs from a Mavic Ksyrium ssc sl for the last 10 years. Does Jeremy use a bushing on the inside of the free hub as well?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

There is a bushing. Jeremy mentioned that the OrcUL is different from the Mavic design, but I don't know what the important differences are.
formerly rruff...