Carbon clincher - which to choose?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

Yes, I know that carbon clinchers are heavier than their tubular counterparts, and that the braketrack is not as "safe" as tubulars, but I like to have equipment that I can use on an everyday basis, and it's easier for me to change a tube, than it is to change a tubular(also cheaper).

So I was looking to buy a set of used Zipp 404 Firecrests as they seem to be very aero, and not that heavy. However, I read in a couple of reviews that the rear wheel is not that stiff, and that some have had brakepad rubbing occur during acceleration. As I'm a sprinter type at 76 kgs, I don't want a rear wheel that's too soft. So is it something to worry about, or is it just people who have a 1 mm clearance on their brakepads?

The wheels will primarily be used for racing(flatter cirquits - 60-100 km road races, time trials), but also for training in the same environment.

What other good carbon clincher options are out there that seem to have a good aero advantage?

We have a thread for this

viewtopic.php?p=959275#p959275

in the Road forum index

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=108553

please, use search
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

MarkGiardini

by MarkGiardini

I've been on Reynolds Assault for a while now and they're plenty aero for a decent priced clincher.
KWalker wrote:chill out perv dogs, homegirl is still only 17.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

davec

by davec

Love my dv46. Plenty stiff and durable for training and racing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

I think the Enve 3.4 clinchers are a great option. They have a wide footprint which will enhance the ride quality a bit. They also come standard with a 5 year warranty which is unrivaled in the world of carbon wheels.

aaric

by aaric

Enve 3.4's would be the cream of the crop in my opinion. But with a pricetag to match. I recently settled on trying the November rail. Smaller company with a couple guys doing their own design. Similar to some other shops out there, but they've posted wind tunnel results. Wheels are currently on order (they started their preorder monday) Target weight of 1525 for a 18mm internally wide 52mm deep wheel that tests slightly worse than a 404 firecrest at high yaw, and better at low yaw according to their data.

Seems like an interesting combo to me (Enough that I sent them ~$1160 for wheels to be delivered in June)

Other options I've been intrigued by are a set of used zipp 303/404s (~$1300-15000), Shimano C50s ($1300-$1400: heavy, but aluminum brake track, and I can't see them not being super durable), or open mold farsports wheels(~$600, but older aero designs, and likely not built to take my abuse)

NealH

by NealH

I'd go with either the new C50 Shimano wheel, as the aluminum brake track will be a big advantage if you mix in some hills with your riding, or the Zipp 404 FC (another well engineered wheel) if you don't mind a carbon brake track.

I like the Shimano as nothing beats their durability and quality. Paying more might put some fashion in the mix if that is important, but it will not likely put a better wheel on your bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com