HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Bora One 35 vs Ultra 35
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:13 pm 

Does anyone know if there is any difference in the rims with these wheelsets or is it just the hubs? Looking at the weights and technical info from Campag it sounds like that's all it is, but the insane price difference suggests otherwise.

I find it hard to believe that Campagnolo rate a pair of carbon/ceramic Cult hubs worthy of a £1000+ premium over a set of already excellent alu/steel ones :noidea:

Post subject: Bora One 35 vs Ultra 35
Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:13 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:15 am 

The difference is in the hubs and the bearings. The rim is the same. Its much more expensive to do hubs in carbon than Aluminum. There is only abour 40-50 grams difference between the two. If it was me , I would buy the Bora one and later on change the bearings to the cult.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:18 am 

As far as I can tell from my own research, the only difference is the hub and bearings -- the ultra hub is carbon and has the cult bearings. I just received a set of One's in Ultra Dark from Ribble. They look "really" sharp, have smooth Campag hubs, etc..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:55 am 

Last edited by Causidicus on Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:05 pm 

Thanks guys, that's confirming what I thought but It still doesn't make sense.

Shamals with carbon hub body and USB bearings are only £150 more than Eurus' with Alu hub and steel bearings, RRP on a pair of Cult bearing kits is £160... So how on earth is the Bora Ultra 35 costing another £700 on top of that if they're saying the rims are the same (or at least, they're not saying they're different)?

I think I'm going to have to call the distributor and have a chat.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:36 pm 

Not attempting to justify Campagnolo's pricing strategy, but does that pair of bearings include the chronitec races? They would would have to be installed as well. That's one thing that sets the CULT bearings apart from a lot of other ceramic "hybrids". The hybrids may have ceramic bearings, but they're running in untreated steel races. If you're going to go with the Cult bearings, I would also make sure you have the races to match.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:57 pm 

wingguy wrote:

Shamals with carbon hub body and USB bearings are only £150 more than Eurus' with Alu hub and steel bearings, RRP on a pair of Cult bearing kits is £160... So how on earth is the Bora Ultra 35 costing another £700 on top of that if they're saying the rims are the same (or at least, they're not saying they're different)?

It doesn't have to make sense. Campagnolo are not in business to offer the lowest prices. you gotta pay to play!

Carbon hub manufacturing like the new bora 35 is very expensive. These are not like the shamal hubs where the Alu flanges are bonded to a carbon shell. They are made in Italy where labour is much more expensive. I saw the bora ultra 35 wheels up close and they are very sexy and well made. If you don't care about that, get the bora one and save the money. You will get the same riding for less.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:20 am 

I belive that the main diference you will feel ,asside of hub and bearings, will be if you need to service the hub bearings.

Last edited by atakaoka on Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:16 am 

Going thru the same debate, I have hyperon ultra 2 and bora ultra 2 and they are fantastic. This said I also have record hubs which I guess would be very close to the hubs on the bora one and they are good as well. The premium is difficult to justify but if you want the best it comes at a significant premium. No doubt that the One is a better value.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:33 pm 

wingguy wrote:

Before you call the distributor, I want to let you know that Eurus have a heavier rim than Shamal.
And I believe the Bore one 35 have a heavier rim than Bora ultra 35 too, because carbon hub shell doesn't save much weight.
For reference , the rear hub of Bora one is 286g, and Bora Ultra 2 is 284g.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:38 pm 

chiumomo wrote:
Before you call the distributor, I want to let you know that Eurus have a heavier rim than Shamal.
And I believe the Bore one 35 have a heavier rim than Bora ultra 35 too, because carbon hub shell doesn't save much weight.

where did you get that info ? Sounds bogus to me, the bora one and bora ultra have the same rim.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:50 pm 

chiumomo wrote:
wingguy wrote:

Wrong information you got there about the bora 35. Bora one and ultra have the same rim. Even in the spare parts catalog they have the same part number.
The only difference between them is the carbon hubs and the cult bearings. The carbon hubs are about 45grams less than the Aluminum ones. Yes not that much weight saving, but they are as strong and i'm sure stiffer.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:04 am 

ferrarista wrote:
chiumomo wrote:
wingguy wrote:

Wrong information you got there about the bora 35. Bora one and ultra have the same rim. Even in the spare parts catalog they have the same part number.
The only difference between them is the carbon hubs and the cult bearings. The carbon hubs are about 45grams less than the Aluminum ones. Yes not that much weight saving, but they are as strong and i'm sure stiffer.

Are you sure?
Bora ultra 2's hub weight:
Bora one's hub weight:

Last edited by chiumomo on Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:39 pm 

We don't see your pictures. Either way the part numbers don't lie. The replacement rims for either bora one , bora ultra 2 and bora one 35 and bora ultra 35 have the same part numbers.

Take a look.
http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/doc/doccatid_3.jsp

I have not seen the hubs on their own so I cannot say exactly, but in your pics do the hubs have the same freehub body? shimano freehub are heavier since they are made of steel.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:52 am 

No need to quote above

photo fixed, both shimano freehub body

Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:52 am 

Go to page 1, 2  Next