Farsports 38mm Cyclecross Clinchers (23mm wide)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SteveFromNY

by SteveFromNY

So I finally received my 38mm 23mm wide clinchers 32 days after payment. I also ended up paying duties on it (not much, $22.50), but it was a surprise. The box was sturdy, wheels were wrapped and packaged well, and upon first inspection they look good - very solid. The front rolled perfectly, but the rear might need a little truing in the near future. It was easier to install the tires than I'd read about (but maybe the width had to do with it). I popped in red veloplugs and they were a DAMN tight fit. Kyle was a pretty cool guy to deal with also.

I haven't ridden them yet, but I'll give a detailed report when I do. Here are the specs.

38mm Depth, 23mm Width carbon clinchers @ exactly 1330 grams. (594 front, 736 rear)
3K matte, Basalt brake track, 20/24H, Edhubs, Sapim CX delta, and it came with a pair of titanium skewers (45g) and SwissStop yellow pads.

As much as I like a stealthy looking bike, on wheels, IMO it makes it look cheap (albeit these were), so I drew up some simple decals for it.

Last edited by SteveFromNY on Sat May 04, 2013 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

SteveFromNY

by SteveFromNY

Also, they're not chris king loud, but they're not quiet either.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ltoddokc

by Ltoddokc

Looks great! I'm really interested to read a ride report as I'm currently trading emails with Kyle about this exact set (albeit in a different finish). What made you go with the Edhub over the Bitex? At first glance what are your impressions of the brake track? I really wanted the high temp version but it isn't available in a 38mm rim. Thanks.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Hmm, their website says the wheel is 20.5mm wide ..???

Ltoddokc

by Ltoddokc

Imaking20 wrote:Hmm, their website says the wheel is 20.5mm wide ..???

I think that's the new "aero" version with the zipp-like profile. These are actually listed as cyclocross and are the regular v/u shape.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SteveFromNY

by SteveFromNY

I went with the edhub based solely on their recommendation and the weight. I read mixed reviews about them so I took a chance. Hope they work out well!

I rode 50 miles today and it felt great. Going from 1710g to 1330g is AWESOME! I went down a portion of a hill where I normally need to brake at least twice + coast, but today, I pedaled right through going down faster than normal. I'm very sensitive to equipment so it's definitely due to the width.

SteveFromNY

by SteveFromNY

Also, the brake is super strong - but it could also be the SwissStop pads. However, the matte finish is a little on the rough side, so dirt sticks to it like a magnet.

SteveFromNY

by SteveFromNY

Here's the bike btw. Just under 15lbs.

deermatt

by deermatt

ugh, sell them to me. Farsports are completely out of the 38mm x 23mm rims, totally out of the 50mm x 24mm wheels, and speed cycling only has them in 50mm and I want 38.

kylefoo
in the industry
Location: N96 Road jingquan, Jimei District, Xiamen city, China

by kylefoo

deermatt wrote:ugh, sell them to me. Farsports are completely out of the 38mm x 23mm rims, totally out of the 50mm x 24mm wheels, and speed cycling only has them in 50mm and I want 38.

Really? Deermatt, who you contacted with?
FarSports carbon wheels
Email:sales2@farsports.cn
Store:http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1679325, all store enjoys 8% off till 30th Sep.

deermatt

by deermatt

Ive been emailing with Johnson-Hu. I was told they were out of stock.

kylefoo
in the industry
Location: N96 Road jingquan, Jimei District, Xiamen city, China

by kylefoo

yeah, we have not 38mm*23mm instock so far, but 50mm*24mm, both 3k matte and UD matte are avalable.
If you insist on 38mm depth, 18-20days of making day required.
FarSports carbon wheels
Email:sales2@farsports.cn
Store:http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1679325, all store enjoys 8% off till 30th Sep.

nayr497

by nayr497

Any updates on these wheels from the OP?
A good day becomes a better day with a bicycle ride.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

velomane

by velomane

How timely. I was just looking at the Farsports website. I would love to hear any feedback, particularly regarding cross usage.