Yet another climbing wheel ...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Tilldish wrote:Hi everyone,

Which wheels would you recommend for La Marmotte. I weigh 60 kgs, ride a Specialized Tarmac SL4 and aim for a time under 7 hours. At the moment I am considering Shimano C24, Mavic R-Sys Slr or maybe something handbuilt. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I'm really liking the Shimano C-24's. I weigh 150 pounds which converts to 68 kg. I have Mavic Krysium's on my other bike and I don't like them so much. Seems the reputation for Mavic's are that they are decent but not great wheels on a number of levels. If you don't like Shimano you might look at racing zeros or the comparable Campy wheel.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rma

by rma

fromtrektocolnago wrote:
Tilldish wrote:Hi everyone,

Which wheels would you recommend for La Marmotte. I weigh 60 kgs, ride a Specialized Tarmac SL4 and aim for a time under 7 hours. At the moment I am considering Shimano C24, Mavic R-Sys Slr or maybe something handbuilt. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I'm really liking the Shimano C-24's. I weigh 150 pounds which converts to 68 kg. I have Mavic Krysium's on my other bike and I don't like them so much. Seems the reputation for Mavic's are that they are decent but not great wheels on a number of levels. If you don't like Shimano you might look at racing zeros or the comparable Campy wheel.

Which Ksyrium's do you have on your other bike? Do you know what is the rim width for the Mavic's? That's some info that I just can't find anywhere! I'm interested in a Ksyrium SLR but have been amazed by the C24 that a friend of mine is using (light, stiff, good rolling and not THAT expensive)...

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I have Krysium Elite's. Don't much like them. Use them on my my Trek 5200 which used to be my main bike and is now what I ride in the winter or when the weather is iffy. I don't know the rim width but they aren't deep rims. I'd look, but I'm having basic maintenance done on the Trek at the moment.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)

rma

by rma

fromtrektocolnago wrote:I have Krysium Elite's. Don't much like them. Use them on my my Trek 5200 which used to be my main bike and is now what I ride in the winter or when the weather is iffy. I don't know the rim width but they aren't deep rims. I'd look, but I'm having basic maintenance done on the Trek at the moment.

Thanks... think I'll just pull the trigger on C24s. They are lighter than Mavics (clincher, except R-SYS SLR) and affordable. I currently use Fulcrum Racing 7, so I expect to loose something around 550g, which is A LOT! Thanks so much!

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I think you 'll like the c-24's. As I said earlier I use them on my c-59. Have them since November and since then rode around 2,000 miles on them and very satisfied. Wish I had asked the questions you are asking when preparing to buy my Colnago. I would have avoided the Mavic wheel purchase.

To their credit the sales people at R&A said the Mavic's were good wheels but that I should really get something better considering the bike I was buying. Live and learn. Fortunately I'm done now.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)