What to do with a pair of Stans Alpha 340 32H rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

2oldnslow

by 2oldnslow

I've got a pair of used but in excellent condition A340 32H rims with unworn brake tracks as I ran (without any problems) them in a disc hub (Hope) set up tubeless with CX tyres on my Singular Peregrine.

At 85kg I can't decide whether it's a good idea to get them built into a lightish set of good weather wheels for my road bike (a Bianchi Infinito).

They held up really well only needing the very occasional tweak over some pretty rough roads and tracks for over 10k km when I lived in Cyprus but that was with 42C tyres run at 45psi. With a budget of say £400/600$ for hubs and spokes what sort of build should I be looking at ? I'd probably not run tubeless.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

You could always lace those rims into hubs with a bit wider flange spacing. That will help to offset the soft nature of that rim. With that said, maybe the Alchemy ELF/ORC UL are worth a look. They are slightly over budget, but they have widely stanced flanges, and they only come in at 255 grams for the rimset.

2oldnslow

by 2oldnslow

Hi and thanks for that. Not sure Alchemy hubs are available in the UK but the advice re: flange spacing is appreciated.