Reynolds Attacks -- really high DS spoke tension

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bobonker

by bobonker

I bought a set of 2010 Reynolds Attacks from a friend. He bought them with a Shimano freehub and then bought the 11s Campy conversion kit (new axle + freehub + end caps) and had the LBS install the kit and re-dish the wheel. It looks like the shop that did it achieved this by upping the tension on the DS by A LOT.

I'm seeing 144 to 165 kgf on the drive side (about 150ish kgf avg). For reference, I'm using a Park TM-1 and seeing 24-25.5 on the needle. These are DT Competition spokes. The NDS and front have DT Revolution spokes.

Reynolds specs:
Front: 600-800N (61-81kgf ... seems kinda low?), I'm measuring approx 95 kgf average (all spokes are really close) which makes me think my TM-1 is reading a little high.
Rear DS: 900-1150N (91-117kg) -- I'm measuring 144 to 165, average of 150.
Rear NDS "spread": 250N (not quite sure what this means?)

The wheels didn't get ridden much by him (maybe 1000 miles under a 160 lb rider) and he didn't have any problems with them. I bought the wheels converted the rear to Shimano/SRAM and now the wheel needs to be re-dished again.

Questions:
1. Do I need to worry about any damage to the DS spokes or the carbon rim from such high spoke tension?
2. To get the dish right, I'm planning on just backing off the tension on the DS spokes...basically reversing what the shop did.

Thanks,
Bob

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

davidalone

by davidalone

I may be a noob at wheelbulding, but yes that does seem like irregular spoke tension on the rear wheel. What's the lacing pattern on the rear wheel though? 2xDS, radial NDS? how many spokes each side?

I'd bring it back to the shop and tell them to do a proper dish job.

bobonker

by bobonker

DS is 2x
NDS is radial

The shop that did the re-dish is no longer around. Go figure. Oh well. Tonight I'm going to see a veteran wheelsmith and I think it'll get straightened out.

Bob

bobonker

by bobonker

Turns out the wheel is not as overtensioned as I thought. (though the dish is off by ~3mm)

My Park TM-1 tension gauge is really out of whack though. The local wheelsmith had two of his own as well as a calibration rod and he could not get it to reliably calibrate. I'll be contacting Park about a repair/replacement. That means the last set of wheels that I built are undertensioned, so I'll adjust those once this gets ironed out.

Bob