Rebuilding 50mm tubulars

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mattjevans

by mattjevans

PX 50mm tub rims, should I go Hope or Chris King? In the UK CK is over twice the price of Hope, are they that much better?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattjevans

by mattjevans

Never mind, I just found some advice that Hope 16h Pro3's are not suitable for radial builds. CK it is then.

Miglior

by Miglior

yeh, 16s are fine for radial builds. if in doubt, call them, they are great. they are only down the road from me, but ive called with questions like this and always got an answer straight away ;)

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Nothing against the PX/ Gigantex rims, but having seen a few of them expire after a while, if I were you, i wouldn't bother rebuilding them on CK's..
Official cafe stop tester

mattjevans

by mattjevans

thegunner wrote:doesn't it say they are here?:
http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemi ... cification" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, but you'll find wheelbuilders who say "Hope say its OK, but its not"

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Hope hubs are fine there are nothing wrong with them. Still I do not use them but that is down to there stocking deals. They appear to be a bit inflexible and want dealers to support the brand buy buying everything including there wheels rather than the part we know we can make good of.

shame they make good hubs and CK are overpriced in the U.K. Are not PMP hubs avialble in 16H drilling.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

The Hopes are a solid hubset. I think the only real downsides are weight and aesthetics (totally subjective on that one). Other than that I think they make a great hubset. I'd pick the T11s over the Hopes any day though.

mattjevans

by mattjevans

bm0p700f wrote:Hope hubs are fine there are nothing wrong with them. Still I do not use them but that is down to there stocking deals. They appear to be a bit inflexible and want dealers to support the brand buy buying everything including there wheels rather than the part we know we can make good of.

shame they make good hubs and CK are overpriced in the U.K. Are not PMP hubs avialble in 16H drilling.

I have Hope hubs on my mtb and agree they are great. The concern is that I have seen a few references to 16h (only) radial builds on the Hope Pro3 resulting in (I think bearing) problems

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com