Summer road tyres

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Notstrong

by Notstrong

Hi all

I run with schwalbe ultremo zx tyres on my colnago and was thinking of changing to Michelin pro races any recommendations or personal experiences with either tyres would be great, I've found the schwalbe's are very good at being puncture resistant.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

I've had bad luck with Michelins every time and I just don't like the road-feel they give. But I seem to be kind of alone on this one, since they're highly rated. I was always a big fan of Vittoria Open Corsa's until I tried Veloflex Corsa's. I let them dry out for about six months, never punctured in 6.000 kilometres and the road-feel...wow, super impressive. I have no experience with Schwalbe though.

ave

by ave

No, you're not alone, Sjoerd.
There were many voices over the internet against the Pro 3, when it came out, many did seek old stock of Pro 2s.
I was hesitant a bit because of this, but still decided to try the Pro 3.
~5 sets and 3 full seasons now. Not a single flat and no problems whatsoever. There are very small cuts on the surface, but it does not have any negative effect on performance, comfort and flat resistance, it seems. I hit many potholes at high speed - no flats.

All in all, I trust Michelin, I'll will. But to the point, I've no experience with pro 4, there're too many models, it's quite confusing which shall I get. :)

welkman

by welkman

Krilion Carbons or their alternative are great, but I love my new veloflex carbons! You could try the veloflex masters?

djconnel

by djconnel

Michelin 25 mm Pros & Grand Bois 26 mm are my present favorites. Every time I nail a pothole I'm glad for the extra air in my tires.

RJKflyer

by RJKflyer

Can I offer Conti 4 Seasons 25 into the mix...?

madmole

by madmole

Conti GP4000S best all rounder there is
Cervelo S3 2011. Blinged 6.718 Kg

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Continental with there 4 seasons and GP 4000s make all the tyre anyone actually needs.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I have tried every tire under the sun and find the Continental Gp4000s to be the most durable/flat proof tire on the market. I put the Vitoria Corsa CX a close second because of its supreme road feel. The Vitoria seems to wear out quickly but its handling characteristic are simply sublime. Everything else I have tried seems to get flats too easily.

bobqzzi

by bobqzzi

GP4000 (black only)

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Sjoerd wrote:I've had bad luck with Michelins every time and I just don't like the road-feel they give. But I seem to be kind of alone on this one, since they're highly rated. I was always a big fan of Vittoria Open Corsa's until I tried Veloflex Corsa's. I let them dry out for about six months, never punctured in 6.000 kilometres and the road-feel...wow, super impressive. I have no experience with Schwalbe though.

Hard to beat a seasoned (as in aged for six months) Veloflex tyre mated to a Vredestein latex inner tube for Summer rides.
Fast, comfy, good grip, all in all hard to beat.

Come Winter, come Continental. Lower pressure, less comfort, butyl inner tube and if you have one of their Black Chili spiced models, formidable grip too.

Conti has the grippy compound, Veloflex has the right casing.

Still, in the Summer Veloflex rules.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Vuong05

by Vuong05

Another vote for veloflex during summer. Unbeatable combination of speed, comfort and grip.
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)

sawyer

by sawyer

Vittoria CXs are for those who can't quite make the jump to tubs, but want the "open" association.

That said, the SC is a significant improvement over the slip-slidey CX Evo.

GP4000S and Attack / Force (lighter) ... or just 2x Force if you want 24mm volume are good options.

I've run Ultremo ZX for the past 4 months commuting 22km per day in London with no flats which isn't bad. They are pretty fast but not convinced about wet weather grip. Can slide under hard accelerations in the wet which has surprised me.

ProRace4 ... good all rounder also.

Did use Veloflex Pave for a while but the puncture resistance wasn't up to it. Should try the fdegrove prescription at some point, though come summer (please), come tubulars ...
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

fdegrove wrote:Hard to beat a seasoned (as in aged for six months) Veloflex tyre

I feel kinda dumb for not ordering mine in january. So it looks like another year on Conti's for me.