FarSports 50mm x 24mm U-Shape Carbon Clinchers Review

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eric

by eric

Focus-carbon seems to have some shills on weight weenies today.

Nismo4x4

by Nismo4x4

Just a quick update:
I've got about 1,000 miles on the wheels now and they're holding up well and the braking is still strong on the original pads.
I've taken these wheels on some steeper descents with no problems at all.
I've included a few crappy resolution photos of the wheels up close; if there's any others I can provide, let me know.
Also, the diagram with dimensions of the cutout from FarSports.
And of course, my bike 8)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

VeloBuild

by VeloBuild

The wheels reviewed in this thread are not the "bulging" or "U-Shaped" aero profile that many are searching for now. These are CX rims with a traditional faring.

Far Sports is not yet shipping their AERO "U-Shaped" rims. When they do in about 30 days they will be 20.5mm wide - the lead time after they have stock will be about 10 days from the time of order. This will be true with their listings on VeloBuild as well.

Far Sports will also soon offer a 24.5mm wide AERO bulging profile rim. However this rim will have a 30 day lead time after the order is placed before it ships...EMS + add the 10 days or so depending on your country.

Full disclosure: Yes, I am the moderator of VeloBuild (Killerbee) - I am not trying to "shill." There has been massive confusion over this wheelset and of what is coming on this forum Road Bike Review and VeloBuild as well. I offer this as clarification and after many discussions with the ownership of Far Sports.

One thing to remember when talking directly to the Chinese vendors. NONE of them ride road bikes or have any real idea why 5mm of wider brake track or 3mm of aero bulge are so important to western riders. They just sell what the factories give them to sell. They try very hard of course, but that is the reality.

Hope this clears up confusion.

Killerbee

teleguy57

by teleguy57

Killerbee/Velobuild,

Very helpful info, and welcome to the discussion.

Most of the energy seems to be in the clincher world. I'm looking for tubular rims in an aero profile in 38 to 50mm rim.. Seems like these aren't on the radar screen yet for the chinese distributors from some email exchanges I've had. Can you provide some insights on what is available and what is in the pipeline? That would be very helpful too!

rainerhq

by rainerhq

VeloBuild wrote:Far Sports will also soon offer a 24.5mm wide AERO bulging profile rim. However this rim will have a 30 day lead time after the order is placed before it ships...EMS + add the 10 days or so depending on your country.

Killerbee

Now I´m confused :)
I have 25mm wide U shapes from FarSports and have done about 1000km on them.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

spliid

by spliid

I also have the ceramics hubs.

Do the rear hub spins like the front?

My front is spinning for days but the rear stops pretty fast.

VeloBuild

by VeloBuild

Tubular should be available at the same time.

teleguy57 wrote:Killerbee/Velobuild,

Very helpful info, and welcome to the discussion.

Most of the energy seems to be in the clincher world. I'm looking for tubular rims in an aero profile in 38 to 50mm rim.. Seems like these aren't on the radar screen yet for the chinese distributors from some email exchanges I've had. Can you provide some insights on what is available and what is in the pipeline? That would be very helpful too!

engi

by engi

Thanks for the update/clarification. On the clincher side, what tire width are these "AERO"/bulging rims optimized for? Is the goal to get the tire sidewall flush with the brake track portion of the wheel or to not protrude beyond the "bulge" part?

mentok

by mentok

received my set 2 days ago. built up quickly and easily to about 120kgf. these rims are a significant improvement in quality over the tubular, narrow "V" design pair that i bought for my track bike about 12 months ago (from helin liu iirc).

pretty happy with them based on appearances - i get the impression that i'll be able to abuse them as both every day wheels and race wheels until i can get a lighter, wide tubular.

@velobuild: do you guys ever do rim-only group buys? i want to do the build myself when i get my next set (lighter, race specific tubulars).

Wolfshohl

by Wolfshohl

rainerhq wrote:
VeloBuild wrote:Far Sports will also soon offer a 24.5mm wide AERO bulging profile rim. However this rim will have a 30 day lead time after the order is placed before it ships...EMS + add the 10 days or so depending on your country.

Killerbee

Now I´m confused :)
I have 25mm wide U shapes from FarSports and have done about 1000km on them.

Why confused?
You have the U shaped "cyclocross" version.
The U shaped AERO rim that Killerbee talks about is not being delivered yet (just communicated with FS).

absmith

by absmith

I think these are the same one from http://www.speedercycling.com/24mm-Wide ... r-Rims_c20", that's crazy.

Privateer

by Privateer

What's crazy about it?

deermatt

by deermatt

yeah, its two chinese companies selling a similar hoop.. nothing weird about it.

Im looking to order a set, but not sure whether to buy right from far sports or velobuild, but my questions never get answered from velobuild. :(

Ltoddokc

by Ltoddokc

I'm seriously considering placing an with Kyle for this set, I just can't decide if I should go with matte 3k or matte UD finish. Ugh! I see the OP went UD, what do others prefer?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

FPSDavid

by FPSDavid

Ltoddokc wrote:I'm seriously considering placing an with Kyle for this set, I just can't decide if I should go with matte 3k or matte UD finish. Ugh! I see the OP went UD, what do others prefer?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think anything other than matte UD generally looks tacky.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com