Why do people hate TUFO tubulars?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WasFab

by WasFab

Who ride the veloflex record? Any one tried them. I run on Gatorskin Coni for quit a while and I got flat yesterday on my rear. Strange enough I got it on my turbo trainer. I know I'm not supposed to turbo trainer them but I'm done with the spare wheel for the turbo too much a hassle. I prefer to buy new tube once a year rather than changing the wheel.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Who ride the veloflex record? Any one tried them

Why would anyone want to ride a tyre that is specifically designed to set, well...records for anything not to set records?

Why would anyone want to ride Tufo tyres which are hardly designed for anything at all but make money?

Why does this topic keep on popping up every sodding year anyhow ?

Ciao, )
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Permon

by Permon

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

Who ride the veloflex record? Any one tried them

Why would anyone want to ride a tyre that is specifically designed to set, well...records for anything not to set records?

Why would anyone want to ride Tufo tyres which are hardly designed for anything at all but make money?

Why does this topic keep on popping up every sodding year anyhow ?

Ciao, )

You act like a bull seeing RED when TUFO word apears on this forum :-)
I like it. :up:
You know, the Wolrd is crazy, everything is changing each and every day, rules are breaking.... there is only ONE certain thing in the Universe: fdegrove hates TUFO :thumbup:

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

On my first outing with gator skin tubs I had a flint destroy the rear. I still like them and I run them at 140 psi. I do not feel the ride harsh, I have tried lower pressures but they do not roll as well and that is the whole point of tubs to me, the fact you can run very high pressures. Also 140-150psi is not enough to have the tyre let go in dry conditions. In wet conditions I would not use tubs so it is not a problem.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

You know, the Wolrd is crazy, everything is changing each and every day, rules are breaking.... there is only ONE certain thing in the Universe: fdegrove hates TUFO :thumbup:

That and the taxman, I guess....

What does get me upset is how the entire concept is construed to deceive people.
Their extenders are fine as is their sealant but when it comes to road tyres: marketing, marketing with nothing to show but a ton of crap.

We're not talking cheap stuff either. These cost the same or more as a decent competitor's tyre, don't roll one bit, puncture quite easily, are essentially unrepairable, show no grip to speak of at al.
So, yes, I refuse to accept this and the entire concept behind it. So should you.

Accepting this kind of moral standard is like saying I do not want Veloflex , FMB, Dugast or even Vittoria in my life.
To my mind it's like welcoming decadence and decay, ever lower standards and so on.

Isn't cycling hard enough as it is already?

There are other stories circulating about some company trying desperately to get one model right for almost a decade already. At our expense. Sad world, I say.

Hopefully you understand my grief and, more importantly, why I bring this in your best interest ?

Ciao, ;)

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

bm0p700f wrote:On my first outing with gator skin tubs I had a flint destroy the rear. I still like them and I run them at 140 psi. I do not feel the ride harsh, I have tried lower pressures but they do not roll as well and that is the whole point of tubs to me, the fact you can run very high pressures. Also 140-150psi is not enough to have the tyre let go in dry conditions. In wet conditions I would not use tubs so it is not a problem.

Maybe it is just that you think they do not roll as well at lower pressure or maybe you're a gigantic bloke weighing well over 200 lbs?

Either way, if you feel you have to use such high pressures, especially on such a low TPI count tyre, I'll tell you upfront that there's a good chance you're fooling yourself.

It's not because it feels fast that it actually is fast. This is especially true for low TPI count tyres at highish pressures.

Ciao, ;)

cveks

by cveks

I was riding Vittoria Corsa tubs. Flatted twice. Than I switched to Tufo S33 Pro and never regreted. They run great and never flat... I never had flat tire. I also add some sealant inside it for no worry. And it works great.

I dont worry about wattage loss . I still get pretty decent number of KOM's with them. What other guys should say ?

otoman

by otoman

fdegrove wrote:Hi,
bm0p700f wrote:On my first outing with gator skin tubs I had a flint destroy the rear. I still like them and I run them at 140 psi. I do not feel the ride harsh, I have tried lower pressures but they do not roll as well and that is the whole point of tubs to me, the fact you can run very high pressures. Also 140-150psi is not enough to have the tyre let go in dry conditions. In wet conditions I would not use tubs so it is not a problem.
Maybe it is just that you think they do not roll as well at lower pressure or maybe you're a gigantic bloke weighing well over 200 lbs?

Either way, if you feel you have to use such high pressures, especially on such a low TPI count tyre, I'll tell you upfront that there's a good chance you're fooling yourself.

It's not because it feels fast that it actually is fast. This is especially true for low TPI count tyres at highish pressures.

Ciao, ;)
I haven’t seen fdegrove around WW in quite some time. He was always one of the most informative and entertaining members of the forum. I hope all is well!
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

@otoman , thank you for your concern. I have been ill for a couple of years but back on the bike since last year.
Even bought myself two, yes two, new Kuota Khans. ;)

I will try to contribute some more to this great forum later on.

All the best to everyone, ;)

otoman

by otoman

Sorry about your setback but I am glad you have recovered and are able to enjoy riding. Wonderful news...
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

Denavelo

by Denavelo

cveks wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:26 pm
I was riding Vittoria Corsa tubs. Flatted twice. Than I switched to Tufo S33 Pro and never regreted. They run great and never flat... I never had flat tire. I also add some sealant inside it for no worry. And it works great.

I dont worry about wattage loss . I still get pretty decent number of KOM's with them. What other guys should say ?
Race car teams don't build race cars and run stock manufacture tires. Tufo tires ride like crap, and I started out riding Tufo Elite, etc.. Switched to Veloflex and never looked back. Better Feel, Rolling, Puncture resistance, etc. I wish people would say they like riding Tufo tires because it's a cheap option to Ride tubulars. The price point is the only reason someone can justify running Tufo tires. Ride a Veloflex Pro Tour, then ride a Tufo S33 back to back. The ride feel is entirely different.
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

Matt28NJ

by Matt28NJ

I too, loathe Tufo for horrendous quality. Across the line, an utter garbage product.

Singular

by Singular

I'm no huge fan of the Tufo road tyres/tubulars, but they have a cult following in the CX community for a reason - they are a Czech tubular Kalashnikov (vz58? :) ) offering nothing; no feeling, no speed, no comfort, no flats (and if so, no problems sealing it), no cost and no chance in the world to lose grip, at least with the Cubus. When turning hard on a soft lawn, one has to hang on for dear life not being thrown off the bike.

Yeah, I race on Challenges (Grifo, Limus and Chicane) but the Tufos serve me excellently for training and as a last stand when conditions are really, really, really ugly.

cveks

by cveks

I ride bike on very rough roads. Tufo is bullet proof there. I like tubs a lot but changing tubular tire 50 kms from home in the middle of mountain is pain.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

As was said long ago, Friends don't let friends ride Tufo.

Vittoria Pave' and Control for rough stuff.