How Many Layers of Glue Before Removal ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ldamelio

by ldamelio

Started gluing my own tubulars this year and riding them every day. Could kick myself for 20 years of clinchers - used to have the shop do the gluing and only ride them on race day. I have 404s with Vittoria Corsas - followed both mfrs instructions for gluing (three layers on rim, one on tire) - and got a very nice installation. Time to replace rear tire is approaching. I know I don't have to clean the rim down to new this time around, but how many tire changes/layers of glue do folks recommend before doing this ? Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Keep adding layers. If you remove a tire and the glue on the rim is chunky and irregular in height, then it's time to clean it off.
In general, more layers of glue is lower in rolling resistance (up to a point, I'm sure).

RussellS

by RussellS

Doubt there is a set number of changes for replacing the glue layer. Probably total thickness is a better measure. If the dry glue is 1/4" thick, then its time to start over and clean the rim. If the glue is 1/8" thick, then add another layer. As already mentioned, if the glue is lumpy, comes off irregular and leaves spots of thick glue and spots of no glue on the rim, then probably start over. Having a consistent thickness of glue is important for rolling smooth. When I glued tubulars I put two coats on the rim and let them dry. One coat on the tire and let it dry. Then when actually mounting the tire I put a fresh coat on the rim and stretched the tire onto the rim. Held just fine. Used Continental tubular glue.

Geoff

by Geoff

I would tend to agree with thisisatest.

gummee

by gummee

thisisatest wrote:Keep adding layers. If you remove a tire and the glue on the rim is chunky and irregular in height, then it's time to clean it off.
In general, more layers of glue is lower in rolling resistance (up to a point, I'm sure).

This. Knock off the big chunks and keep gluing.

Glue sticks better to glue than to AL (or carbon)

M

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gummee

by gummee

So I'd been 'borrowing' a Grifo from a buddy who'd wrecked his Zipps, right?

He bought himself a new pair of Major Toms and needed a spare. So I pulled the tire off the rim and there were huge chunks of glue left on the rim.

I have this wire brush attached to the drill press in the garage. Used that to knock the big stuff off and smooth out some of the rest and then put another thin layer of glue on and really worked it to knock the high spots off. Before y'all get all wigged out, the glue gets into the bristles of the brush and all I'm really using to get glue off is more glue.

Seems to work for me anyway. No chemicals. Not much mess. You DO have to be careful tho.

M