Help enlighten a Campy wheelset for a restorarion project

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dilbert

by Dilbert

I bought the set for a classic Eddy Merckx build. Hubs are Campy (model is unknown - perhaps somebody can ID them). Rims are 36 hole Ambrosio, possibly Excellence. Set weight is 932g front and 1162g for the rear wheel. I want to have them re built with butted spokes, and perhaps go 2 cross lacing as well. I would appreciate some suggestions for spoke choise and lacing. They did not come with skewers, I plan to get Ti ones.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Hi, front hub is Chorus. Rear could be either Chorus or Record. The latter had a titanium axle.

In my view, the only thing you can do to make the set lighter is go for CXRays or similar spokes, anything with an equivalent radius of 1,5mm in the middle section, bladed or not. Then alu nipples.

You can also try to lace rear NDS radially and both front sides if you fancy. Shorter spokes, a bit less weight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Those are the older style, Record 9-speed hubs, although the freehub still goes to 11.

I'm too lazy to look up the exact years, but relatively short lived - say 1995-98. They were superseded by the present "oversize" axle redesign, still in use.

As long as races and freehub bearings sound good, then they should be OK. Otherwise, parts may be harder to find.

3 cross is more classic. Any double butted spoke, like Sapim Race is good.

It's sacrilege to use anything other than a Campy skewer.

If they are not in excellent condition, then think again about the project as there other ways you could go.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

petromyzon

by petromyzon

How much are you actually going to gain with a rebuild? Nicer just to keep them as they are IMHO. Pillar Megalites would probably be the lightest sensible option if you have to do it....

r3awak3n

by r3awak3n

I agree, I would not rebuild those. If they still roll nicely, leave them be. They look to be record but could be chorus. AFAIK the only diff btw chorus and record is the skewers on that specific hub. I would not use TI skewers on those, I would try to hunt down some campy skewers. I know this is weight weenies but that is not a weight weenie hub and whatever spokes you use or rim, its not going to be a super light wheelset so might as wheel go for looks. Nothing looks better than 3x and campy skewers on a nice polished campy hub.

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

Do you have the appropriate lockring for the rear hub? :) And be careful, spare parts for these early non-OS axle hubs are very scarce.

I'd leave the wheels as they are, the rear hub weighs above 400 grams, and the original campag skewers are 200 grams in pairs.

Leave this as it is, and if you want a retro wheelset, look around for some nice silver 28-28 hole hubs and lace them with butted spokes. (For a shimano wheelset, I've ordered a set of circus monkeys for a friend of mine.. )

Very nice wheels imho. :thumbup:

XCProMD

by XCProMD

The key to know if they are Record, Chorus or Athena is the dust covers , grease port and rear axle.

Record: front polished dust covers, rear ti axle, grease ports.

Chorus: no dust covers, steel rear axle, grease ports.

Athena: no dust covers, steel axle, no grease ports.

I agree with the rest: leave them as they are.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Been looking through the old spares catalogs.

The hub pictured is rare - 1998 only I believe. Looks to be Chorus or lower. Record had a Ti spindle and locknut at the freehub.

1998 was the first year of that freehub spline design, still current.

In 1999 the hub was completely redesigned to the much lighter "oversize" current style.

The cassette lockring is 26 x 1 as opposed to the "oversize" 27 x 1. As today, an 11t cog requires a smaller lockring. Any 9-10 or 11 speed cassette will fit.

http://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/035_272_Catalogue_spare%20parts_tools_Campagnolo_1998_part_B.pdf

One.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

I would leave as is until something needs replaced. classic wheels like the campy were not light, but performed very well.

Dilbert

by Dilbert

Thanks so much for the excellent replies. The hub has a grease port, but no dust cover, which means Chorus. I do have a lockring. I bought the set for the equivalent of $130, which I thougt was a good buy. The Eddy Merckx frame I found in a small store room of a store that had closed down their cycling section - it had never been built up before. - I am a mountain biker, but the frame followed me home. (I will post some pics on he site when it is done.)

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

where are pics of the merckx frame? or model would be sufficient and type of paint scheme. merckx are fabulous bikes. the older ones from 1980 and 1990's are my favorites.

Dilbert

by Dilbert

Alu Team, 2003/4 is my guess, with a 1" headset (probably one of the last models with a 1" headset). Loud red and blue team Lotto colours.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Merckx was an early adopter of 1 1/8 forks in their 2001-2 SC frames, (which I have), which would place a 1" frame as 2000 or earlier.

As the man said- a picture would help.

One.