HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Best tubulars for rain
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:45 pm 

Typically I ride Veloflex but they're not always confidence inspiring when roads are wet. What are people's fave choices of tubs for riding or racing in the rain?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:36 pm 

Contis

FWIW I've heard this is a view held by some pros also

Sprinter is the best value in the Conti range if you are ok with the width ... you don't
really give anything up to the Comp / GP4000/ A&F

Vittorias with IsoGrip are pretty good also - try the SR 24mm

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:36 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:04 pm 
in the industry

Conti competition 25mm tubs. perfect.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:38 pm 

Sorry but, by far my best tubs for rain have been Veloflex carbons...

What size and pressure do you use ?

Louis :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:11 pm 

LouisN wrote:
Sorry but, by far my best tubs for rain have been Veloflex carbons...

When you see the disaster with a few Sky riders earlier this year in wet conditions (they where running Veloflex tubs), I would think those are not THAT good in the wet...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:19 pm 

Please.

If you have some useful, unbiased data you can provide in relation to tubular perfomance on wet surfaces, I'll be glad to read it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:45 am 

the pros use the Continental Pro Ltd, which are a bit different from the ones available to consumers in the sense that they have latex tubes not butyl. So whilst you may get the same wet grip protection, the feel won't be anywhere near as nice.

I've not had any significant problems with veloflex carbon. And yes team sky switched, but they ran veloflex for many years without much problem. And they bought them themselves, it wasn't a sponsorship deal.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:47 am 

phollingswo wrote:
the pros use the Continental Pro Ltd, which are a bit different from the ones available to consumers in the sense that they have latex tubes not butyl. So whilst you may get the same wet grip protection, the feel won't be anywhere near as nice.

I've not had any significant problems with veloflex carbon. And yes team sky switched, but they ran veloflex for many years without much problem. And they bought them themselves, it wasn't a sponsorship deal.

FYI rumour has it there is actually very very little difference if feel and CRR because the conti
casing is relative rigid/unsupple ...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:24 pm 

sawyer wrote:
phollingswo wrote:

FYI rumour has it there is actually very very little difference if feel and CRR because the conti
casing is relative rigid/unsupple ...

Interesting! Thanks for that. I'm going to stick with my veloflex tubbies. Though if it's awful weather I tend to stick my zondas with GP4000Sii on instead.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:08 pm 

Zondas with GP4000S2 is exactly my cr@p weather set-up!

Vittoria SR tubs are an interesting option ... 24mm and having been down some Dolomite descents in the pi55ing rain on them, they stick like 5hit to a duvet! :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:15 pm 
in the industry

I run my conti tubs at 90psi for a 25mm wide tyre Louis. The reason why I dont use veloflex tubs is all the flint round here. The one time I tried veloflex cinchers I did not even get 1 mile before I punctured. The second time I got 400m. Not doing that again.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:22 am 

i did many many wet rides with veloflex carbon/arenberg with no issue, then in the space of about two months had two crashes on just damp road, the second one in february at just 16kph which broke my hip

tbh think it was not just damp, but some oil/whatever on the road making it extra slippy, these were busy london roads and both times i was going really slow

while recovering i'd read about sky switching, but i'm now back on the bike and still on veloflex, though being extremely careful at the moment!

i do wonder if there's a better wet grip tyre that is still nice to ride, i was trying to remember if there was a tyre test, perhaps in tour mag, that covered this but not sure

can anyone recall such a test and give a link to it?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:02 pm 
in the industry

Ouch sungod I hope you are getting back to normal.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:01 pm 

Conti Comps are ok. The Pro Ltd's are fine, too. I don't feel that much difference between the butyl and the latex-tubed versions, to tell you the truth.

I seem to do better in the rain and snow with tires having a 'herring bone' tread pattern. Some say that it doesn't make any difference, but I feel that it does. It may be all in my head, but it works for me. In the 'day', we used the Vittoria CX as race tires, but would use a CG in the rain (or even the CG on the rear only). The old Vittoria All-Weather was a great tire, and the current SC has a very similar tread pattern. The FMB Carbone Competition and CX are good tread patterns, but the Dugast Strada is about perfect.

Have fun in the rain! (and snow, too)

Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:01 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:19 pm 

,How do the schwable one tubulars do in the wet?

Go to page 1, 2  Next