New Mavic Carbon Cosmic Clinchers 40C

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

drainyoo

by drainyoo

poppiholla wrote:How do they perform in the wet?

I have never ridden in wet conditions, so I can't comment on their performance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

seanblurr

by seanblurr

Typical carbon performance in the wet with black prince pads. However, I just did 2 back to back rain Crits with them and they were manageable.
Instagram @seanblurr

RedRacer

by RedRacer

Did Mavic ever release any aero data for this wheelset? Since they are not overly light (1545g) I would hope they are at least as aero as Zipp 303 FCs. My experience with aluminum Mavic clinchers is they are stiff and reliable so I expect these to be the same.

I am in the market for a set of light weight carbon clinchers with good aero and would like them to be as stiff and light as possible. I actually considered the Lightweight MEILENSTEIN clinchers since they are very light and supposed to be very stiff but they are only 20mm wide and kind of old tech so I am skeptical about their aero benefits, especially given the cost $$$$$$$. Thoughts?

The other wheels on my list are these new Mavic 40C, Reynolds 46 Aero clincher and maybe the '14 Zipp 303 FC.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

From what I've read, the 40c are on the middle of the scale in terms aero. Mavic admitted that making them super aero wasn't a priority. Also keep in mind that rim tape isn't needed with these wheels, so you shed around 40g there compared to other wheels. Very small amount but still should be considered.

IchDien

by IchDien

I see there's now a steel hubbed version of these wheels available for cheaper?

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Looks like you're right. The Cosmic Carbone 40 Elite. They have full aluminum hubs. Also, seems like they come with different skewers and no wheelbags.

andylav

by andylav

Alloy hubs but same claimed weight for the wheelset as the original, carbon hub version with a decent saving on comparative RRPs.

Wonder if this means a new, higher spec option might be on the cards - the 40C rims built with the hubs and spokes from the Cosmic SLR or CC Ultimate would be a wheelset that I would definitely be interested in.

IchDien

by IchDien

The higher end 40C mustn't have been selling well I suppose. Doesn't really make sense to come out with a cheaper practically similar version that weighs the same in the same profile?

IchDien

by IchDien

Any input, Zack?

wingguy

by wingguy

andylav wrote:Wonder if this means a new, higher spec option might be on the cards - the 40C rims built with the hubs and spokes from the Cosmic SLR or CC Ultimate would be a wheelset that I would definitely be interested in.

The CCU already has the new braking surface / resin that was developed for the C40, and I think they've updated the shape as well.

andylav

by andylav

wingguy wrote:The CCU already has the new braking surface / resin that was developed for the C40, and I think they've updated the shape as well.

I meant a new, higher end clincher wheel rather than a new CCU - a 40C Ultimate perhaps since they seem to have introduced a lower spec 40C Elite

wingguy

by wingguy

Oh yeah, I overlooked that small detail! :lol: :oops:

a20dth

by a20dth

Hello, I'm interested in these wheels. Now I have Ksyrium SLE (1.495gr)

Is it a good option for race course and training? In the future I would like to set up with Veloflex clincher and latex tube Michelin.

Sorry for my english. I write from Spain (Europe)

poppiholla

by poppiholla

A latex tube on a carbon clincher is in almost every case not a very good idea. On the other hand these Mavic 40c wheels have not a full carbon rim so the heath can probably dissipate more easily so that there is less danger for the latex tube to explode.
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

hull80n

by hull80n

Expensive and Heavy... i prefer my lightweight :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com