New Mavic Carbon Cosmic Clinchers 40C

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Vanity wheels.

Yeah, they don't overheat with braking....but the braking will suck....and they're still heavy...and expensive.

sawyer

by sawyer

ultyguy wrote:Vanity wheels.

Yeah, they don't overheat with braking....but the braking will suck....and they're still heavy...and expensive.

Well put.

Mavic - must try harder. 3/10

For a start, it's E1000 overpriced.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

airwise

by airwise

And Mavic will continue to sell large numbers of wheelsets around the world.

There will always be those that think they are better off riding a boutique brand.

One buys a carbon clincher because they look cool - not for any performance related reason.

sawyer

by sawyer

airwise wrote:And Mavic will continue to sell large numbers of wheelsets around the world.

There will always be those that think they are better off riding a boutique brand.

One buys a carbon clincher because they look cool - not for any performance related reason.

They are in a growth market where clowns can do well. So I'm sure you're right.

I don't see many people with a clue about cycling buying Mavic wheels these days (tiny minority with CCUs aside). The old days of ksyriums all round are long gone.

coloclimber

by coloclimber

At the end of the day its really not about the numbers (weight, cost, width etc.) its about the ride, look, durability, and resale value.

If these 40s ride half as well as the heavier CC's with steel or aero carbon spokes, then they will be a hit. My guess is they ride better due to lower rim weight, look better with carbon hubs and hold their value quite well.

Number 1 wheel question on WWs is - "If I could only have one wheelset (not tubular) what should I get?" On paper, these wheels coudl tick that box.
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

F45

by F45

These are going to have a tough time when new Dura Ace C35 clinchers are $1700 USD and offer an aluminum braking surface with DA hubs....

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

i've no issues with Mavic hubs as well, been riding regular Cosmic Carbones SL (i've two sets now) and this is the wheelset love of my life. there are other wheels for climbing etc, and some guys and gals just like the extra weight on the flat (i do) and the solid feel it gives (or at least pretends to give)

yes, those new Carbones seem too expensive and too heavy, personally i don't like their tires too, but there's something called availability - for many customers these are going against Shimanos and Campas/Fulcrum only. not many lbs' stock or even sell Zipps, Reynolds, or other fancy brands, and even if they do - go figure if their mechanic would be able to service them properly. that's why Mavic knows these will sell nicely without getting highest scores
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

aaric

by aaric

I can't see getting these over a WH9000-C50 CL. I'd take the 100g or so weight penalty for 10mm deeper, wide rims, dura-ace hubs, and an aluminum brake track.

Maybe they look cooler with the all black finish, but I've had good luck with dura-ace wheels and acetone taking the paint off in the past.

sawyer

by sawyer

coloclimber wrote:At the end of the day its really not about the numbers (weight, cost, width etc.) its about the ride, look, durability, and resale value.

If these 40s ride half as well as the heavier CC's with steel or aero carbon spokes, then they will be a hit. My guess is they ride better due to lower rim weight, look better with carbon hubs and hold their value quite well.

Number 1 wheel question on WWs is - "If I could only have one wheelset (not tubular) what should I get?" On paper, these wheels coudl tick that box.

Colo - the qualities you mentioned are important (especially look) for sales, but weight, cost and width are big also. Manufacturers wouldn't lie and brag about weight if it wasn't.

Cost is obvious.

Width/aero less so, but has gained ground (pardon the pun) in the last couple years.

In answer to your question I would protest it's deeply unfair to have tubs excluded, but with that constraint I'd go for some 303 FC clinchers.

Better hubs than Mavic.

More aero than Mavic.

Proven braking

airwise

by airwise

sawyer wrote:I don't see many people with a clue about cycling buying Mavic wheels these days (tiny minority with CCUs aside). The old days of ksyriums all round are long gone.

I guess you don't ride in the Alps much.

You don't see many experienced riders on Enve or Zipps around there I can assure you.

sawyer

by sawyer

airwise wrote:
sawyer wrote:I don't see many people with a clue about cycling buying Mavic wheels these days (tiny minority with CCUs aside). The old days of ksyriums all round are long gone.

I guess you don't ride in the Alps much.

You don't see many experienced riders on Enve or Zipps around there I can assure you.

Ridden there quite a bit.

Frankly you see people on all kinds of ropey kit in the Alps and elsewhere. You're right there
are still lots of unthinking ksyrium riders.

Perhaps I was unfair and it's more having a clue about cycling equipment.

ave

by ave

They look very nice. check.

airwise

by airwise

sawyer wrote:Ridden there quite a bit.

Frankly you see people on all kinds of ropey kit in the Alps and elsewhere. You're right there
are still lots of unthinking ksyrium riders.

Perhaps I was unfair and it's more having a clue about cycling equipment.

Perhaps it's about people knowing which wheels they can rely on and which to avoid even if they are flavour of the month with the fashion police.

In all seriousness, I don't know what Mavic have done to you as a person but you come across as someone with a grudge rather than someone with any knowledge in this particular field. How about a little less negativity?

sawyer

by sawyer

Likewise you come across as someone suspiciously keen to defend Mavic.

My point is they are overpriced, likely not very aero, not very light, have the same old Mavic hubs.

As a number of other posters have said: second rate/vanity wheels etc. etc.

And so on first look they don't appear great value at all

Which is all entirely legitimate commentary for a topic on a new wheelset on WWs

airwise

by airwise

sawyer wrote:
My point is they are overpriced, likely not very aero, not very light, have the same old Mavic hubs.

As a number of other posters have said: second rate/vanity wheels etc. etc.

And so on first look they don't appear great value at all

Which is all entirely legitimate commentary for a topic on a new wheelset on WWs

OK let's look at this in detail

Claimed weight 1545g (Zipp 303 cc 1475g -actual 1579g)

Price €2000 (Zipp 303 cc €2528)

Aero? Nothing to back up your statement yet both Zipp and Enve did poorly in last year's Tour tests - the only independent source of data that we have.

Hubs? Mavic hubs feel sticky to you. To me, they last years without attention and I do not notice any watts being lost due to their subjective stickiness. I have Mavics still running smoothly on their original bearings that are seven to ten years old.

You did leave off stiffness which is undoubtedly where Mavic will trounce the likes of Zipp and Enve. The French company would not release a wheel with the figures attributed to the American hoops. They never have AFAIK.

So it strikes me that you are incorrect on two counts, just guessing on one, and offering up a subjective opinion on another.

Does that seem a "legitimate commentary" to you?

I'd agree about vanity wheels though. Anyone riding carbon clinchers does so for vanity reasons IME, certainly in the mountains they do.

PS. Say Zipp backwards and it's the sound your innertubes make briefly as you descend an Alpine col in high season :wink:
Last edited by airwise on Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com