lacing my first wheels, Pacenti SL23

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Pinging is usually from spoke windup during the build getting unwound. It is best to avoid that from the start.
formerly rruff...

Zoro

by Zoro

WMW wrote:Pinging is usually from spoke windup during the build getting unwound. It is best to avoid that from the start.

A trick when lacing round spokes is when they are still loose, mark them with a marker on the one side. Then when you tighten them, you can see the twist, and untwist them.

If they have ferrules, or washers, they may also be setting in - can't help that.

And then, not saying you should, but you could, tie the cross. Best way is wire and acid flux and solder, but cord and epoxy works too.
This is 1980 stuff - but still works.

BTW - did you lace the rear wheel pulling spoke over or under on the flange?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Svetty

by Svetty

WMW wrote:Pinging is usually from spoke windup during the build getting unwound. It is best to avoid that from the start.

I have about 300 miles on the wheels now. I get no sounds at all except on really steep climbs at low speed when putting full power torque through the rear. I specifically used CX rays as I wasn't confident of avoiding twist using round spokes. I'm pretty certain I avoided it....

I'll double check whether the pulling spokes are over or under the flange. As you can see earlier in the thread my tensions were a little on the high side (130 DS). Wheels are still true....

Svetty

by Svetty

Have double checked. Lacing is identical to these:

http://wheelworks.co.nz/dereks-duraace- ... -sl23-rims

Pulling spokes are heads in and cross under the pushing spokes at the outer cross where the spokes touch.

I can't be certain but I think the sound is coming from the NDS spokes - they are quite slack but as I posted when building up the wheels I found that the dish was correct with a 125/130Kgf:65Kgf DS:NDS ratio/tensions:

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

High torque in a low gear can be taxing on a rear wheel. What is your lacing and spoke #? Weight? What lube did you use on threads and nipple beds?
formerly rruff...

Svetty

by Svetty

WMW wrote:High torque in a low gear can be taxing on a rear wheel. What is your lacing and spoke #? Weight? What lube did you use on threads and nipple beds?

2x both sides (as picture linked to above). 28 spokes, weight 78 Kg. I used motor oil as per Musson.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Shouldn't be a problem. I guess it could be spokes rubbing at the cross, but I've never noticed this on mine.

I'd suggest using something more permanent than motor oil. I use Tefgel.
formerly rruff...