HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:58 pm 

I am considering depleting my wallet in exchange for the latest generation of Lightweight Meilenstein Clincher wheels.

They are obviously super light (for a clincher) and the German Tour magazine test plus user feedback suggests they are as stiff as anything out there but are they aero? By this I mean how does their aerodynamic performance compare to wheels like the Zipp 303/404, Enve SES 3.4, Reynolds 46 or 58 aero?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:42 pm 
Formerly known as wassertreter

Here's a test from Tour Mag 2012. Hosted on the LW site, they must have gotten permission to put this online. Check page 8 for the aero test bar chart. Results are interesting to say the least. Color me sceptic.
https://lightweight.info/documents/TOUR ... tein-C.pdf

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:42 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:06 pm 

Yeah, no. Compared to my Hed wheels, there is no comparison. In even moderate winds, the LWs feel dicey. The Heds are rock-solid even a pretty stiff breeze. If you want aero, go with the Heds. If, however, you want a stupid-light, dead stiff, flawlessly made wheels that will make people fall-over just seeing them, then the LWs are the way to go...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:12 pm 

Stiff: yes, light: yes, sexy: YES, aero: no.
I would not care about 'aero' BTW.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:06 pm 

with the obermayers, which i think are same profile as the previous gen meilensteins, they really 'catch' at some angles, climbing is ok, but descending gets horrible when winds are strong and gusty, maybe 45kph upwards

in lanzarote (notoriously windy place) i'm usually ok, but i've had days where after a few km i decided it was just too dangerous after getting to the more exposed roads - it's the only place i took a curve leaning out :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:12 pm 

Currently I'm testing out the gen 4 Meilenstein C 's and I agree with others here. They are light, stiff, and one of the most comfortable clinchers I've ridden, but aero wise there are better options. One thing I noticed was that they don't hold speed as well as a Zipp 404 firecrest or the 303. You will need to keep pedaling to keep them going, but besides that I have been very impressed. If you want a climbing wheel, you will be hard pressed to find something better with a 47mm profile.

I heard the Obermayer's may be slightly better aero wise but I haven't had the privilege to try them.

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:12 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:14 am 

Another confirmation. I have almost 9000K on my meilenstein clinchers. Awesome wheels. Have descended some very steep technical roads without any delamination issues. They are light stiff, very strong, anyone that says you can't replace a spoke doesn't realise how hard it is to break one of these spokes. But yes, not as aero as the wider U shaped rims, and they do get pushed in crosswinds. I would still get them over anything else though unless building a TT bike.