Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:51 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:10 am 

Hi all,

So I recently had a shop make tweaks to my shifting on the rear derailleur and unfortunately this led to my chain jumping off the cassette and into my wheel on a climb (can't really blame them as they did it for free and are generally good guys). Anyway, the spokes are now damaged and while the local velofix guy says I can ride for a bit on them, they should be replaced. He is offering to order the parts in, and I'm sure there are LBS's locally who could do it.

I also emailed FFWD and they are offering a crash replacement for 300 euros plus shipping (so like $450cad).

Any advice / guidance on what I should do?

I don't know a ton about the ins and outs of wheels and am wondering if a local shop / service can be trusted and will do as good or say a totally acceptable job, vs FFWD? It sounded like getting it done with velofix would probably be a couple hundred bucks or so, so cost is more than double to go through FFWD. At the same time, I place more value on doing things right with my bike than price, so if sending to FFWD is recommended, I'm not opposed to that either. Just don't want to do it if it's not necessary either...

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:04 pm 

Conradsleight wrote:
Hi all,

So I recently had a shop make tweaks to my shifting on the rear derailleur and unfortunately this led to my chain jumping off the cassette and into my wheel on a climb (can't really blame them as they did it for free and are generally good guys). Anyway, the spokes are now damaged and while the local velofix guy says I can ride for a bit on them, they should be replaced. He is offering to order the parts in, and I'm sure there are LBS's locally who could do it.

I also emailed FFWD and they are offering a crash replacement for 300 euros plus shipping (so like $450cad).

Any advice / guidance on what I should do?

I don't know a ton about the ins and outs of wheels and am wondering if a local shop / service can be trusted and will do as good or say a totally acceptable job, vs FFWD? It sounded like getting it done with velofix would probably be a couple hundred bucks or so, so cost is more than double to go through FFWD. At the same time, I place more value on doing things right with my bike than price, so if sending to FFWD is recommended, I'm not opposed to that either. Just don't want to do it if it's not necessary either...

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

What isn't clear is whether the FFWD offer is a re-build or a new wheel?

If the latter, and the decals match, I'd go for that.

If the former then I'd be tempted to get it done by an LBS that you are confident know how to build wheels. This last point is all that matters for the task, and will be the difference between a great wheel and something that is unsafe and fragile

Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:04 pm