Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About
It is currently Sat May 28, 2016 7:25 am
Recently the board software has been updated and there are some known bugs/failures:
- Avatars are currently not being displayed ✔ FIXED
- Tapatalk connection is currently broken ✔ FIXED

If you find more errors please post it here: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=139062

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 1:59 pm 

So, I recently purchased some new 2016 404s for my Scott Addict Team.

After putting on a few hundred miles over the past 2 weeks, I thought it right to do a very quick review on them, just in case anyone is out there pondering over the wheels.

Just to note, I'm a 104kg / 229lbs rugby player (retired weight lifter), so these will be getting a pounding.

First impressions: Wheels are not as well made as my Syncros. The rims appear to be formed in two halves and then boned together, not a single piece construction (I may be wrong, but this is what it looks like).
There were a few loose bits of carbon weave material hanging out of the spoke holes. I just used a razor blade to cut these and pulled them out with some tweezers.
I really feel Zipp need to up their QA process if this is how a set of £1700 wheels leave their warehouse.
Mounting tyres was a doddle, Schwalbe Ones went on no issues. I'm using Continental Lite 80mm valve inner tubes, but will try the 60mm valves once the 80s puncture.

On the Road: These wheels are FAST! They hold speed so well over 30kph. Literally no effect from side winds (I know I'm heavy, but I've had deep section wheels before and been blown all over the road).
There is no lateral movement when out the saddle and giving it my all, very stiff and even with a 2mm brake gap, there is no rubbing.
Cornering is a delight, very stable and urge you to go flat out.
Climbing, well, I have just set a few PBs round my local circuit and took 5 seconds off one long climb that I'd done before on my 1310g 28mm clinchers. I really don't know if it was me trying harder due to new wheels, but saying that, I wasn't blowing at all at the summit. They just spin so well and hold speed so good, even at 1670g (20g lighter than advertised).
The V10 hubs are fantastic! The rear engages instantly and even after riding over some very bad services (pot holes, gravel, general s**t roads), they remain intact!

Only time will tell if Zipp have turned a corner with their chocolate teapot hubs, but so far so good!

Any questions, ask away!

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 3:11 pm 

Glad you are happy so far. Zipps have always been fast in my book and hopefully they sorted out the hub issues.

RE: using 60mm valves I would advise just to use 80mm valve tubes. With 60s you'll have to use extenders which can be a problem at times. The 404s are 58mm in depth.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 3:22 pm 

I assumed that too, but when you actually look at the valve and it's profile, I definitely think a 60mm will work.
With my 80's I have around 30mm protruding from the wheel.

I may buy one 60mm set of tubes just to see........

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 3:31 pm 

I would not do that. First, I'll bet you that it won't work with a normal pump( it shouldn't) and second, more importantly, if you flat on a 60mm tube you risk having the valve go inside the rim with the wheel still spinning which could destroy your rim if it does go completely inside and cracks the carbon. You can run either 80s or shorter valves and extenders at the appropriate length. 30mm of valve exposed is fine.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:32 pm 

I would wager to say that most wheels are actually two pieces. Either it is two "Sides/halves" put together, which causes the seam. Or, there are two pieces, half a wheel/cut in half if you can picture (see video) that are put together at the middle/half. Then put into the mold to cure/put the two pieces together. That usually displays a couple, 2, lines going across the cross-section, often in an angle where the pieces of carbon/halves where put together/cured.

Easton uses the latter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxTWSTo2_4Q

Zipp and the likes use two halves then end up with a seam around the middle/spoke hole area. Split down the middle of the rim you could say, it gives that seem around/along the spoke holes.

So this is normal. Also, I thought when I owned a set of 303 Firecrest, the rims themselves, were very well made/constructed. I've owned about 6 sets of carbon wheels, all from big name, to generic Chinese...pretty common on the manufacturing and quality...Zipp is up there with the best. Then again, haven't seen any pictures of your rims/wheels to show otherwise.

Have fun.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:54 pm 

mimason wrote:
... and hopefully they sorted out the hub issues.

Hope is the only thing which left about Zipp hubs ;)

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:45 pm 

mimason wrote:
I would not do that. First, I'll bet you that it won't work with a normal pump( it shouldn't) and second, more importantly, if you flat on a 60mm tube you risk having the valve go inside the rim with the wheel still spinning which could destroy your rim if it does go completely inside and cracks the carbon. You can run either 80s or shorter valves and extenders at the appropriate length. 30mm of valve exposed is fine.

I've had this happen!

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:48 am 

Just to add, the stopping power on these is immense, even at my weight, they stop on a penny!

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 2:23 pm 

^Agreed on the stopping power. When I had 303 Firecrest, I was using the Zipp grey pads. Stopping power was the best of any carbon wheel I've owned.

Which pads you using?

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 3:41 pm 

The same grey / silver pads I assume you're talking about (Zipp Tangentes IIRC).

Really are superb at stopping, even with 104kg from 75kph.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 7:30 pm 

Don't they have a silicon carbide braking surface (showstopper or something)? How badly does that eat into the pads? Is it any issue at all?

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:45 am 

Not sure what the braking surface is called, but it bloody works!

Pads seem to be fine, no signs of deterioration really.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:54 pm 

Thanks Ryan!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:49 am 

Put another couple of hundred miles on these.

Still spinning fantastically and straight as an arrow.

Had a 'moment' on them at the weekend hitting a pot hole at 55kph. Made a big bang but wheels are absolutely fine. No puncture either.

I've dropped to 101kg but still giving the wheels everything I've got.

Only thing I have had to do is stick a bit of black electrical tape over the valves to stop them rattling against the rim. 100% silent now.

LOVE THEM!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:19 am 

Cracking review bud!